'Asexuality with Ellie Next Door' on Sluts & Scholars podcast

Ceebs

Hopefully the title of the podcast isn't too off-putting to anyone, haha. Sluts & Scholars is a sexuality podcast I listen to regularly, kind of taking an academic... one might even say 'nerdy'... approach to all sorts of topics surrounding sexuality. I was just browsing my podcast app on my phone and noticed that this week's episode was about asexuality.

This is the link to the episode on their website, but it's also available on all major podcast apps.

Asexuality with Ellie Next Door

"Ellie is an asexual sex worker who joins me for a conversation around sexual spectrums, types of desires, aphantasia, and fetishes. She helps correct misconceptions about the asexuality spectrum and shares some personal ways that she helps clients combat sexual shame."

Haven't listened yet myself (will do so), but thought it was probably worth posting here.

Forest Spirit

It starts at about 4:00, and has some explicit language in it just to let people now🙂 (though I couldn't skip ahead for some reason)

Thanks for letting people know. :) Haven't got round to listening yet myself, so. (Got another podcast on the go here at the moment, haha.)

Forest Spirit

Think the podcast in general is very... straight-forward with its language. Was kind of expecting that from the name so it was ok, but could be not ok for others

11 minutes ago, Quasar.w said:

Think the podcast in general is very... straight-forward with its language. Was kind of expecting that from the name so it was ok, but could be not ok for others

Do you mean it has "graphic" language for sexual body parts? Yeah; I was wondering if it might have language like that, in case those who are sex-repulsed about that kind of language might need a warning about it.

Forest Spirit
2 hours ago, LeChat said:

Do you mean it has "graphic" language for sexual body parts? Yeah; I was wondering if it might have language like that, in case those who are sex-repulsed about that kind of language might need a warning about it.

Haven't listened to the whole one, not sure how to call it but yes I hoped to give a bit of a TW with my post

Oh man... ok, so I'm (finally) part way through listening to this and I've gotta just say that, despite having posted this, I don't agree with a lot of the ways the guest on this episode characterises some aspects of asexuality.

But, that's just me.

5 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Yeah it's not the most common take on asexuality

That may be an understatement, haha.

Might be of interest to people curious about sex work, if they don't mind some explicit talk. The way she defines asexuality confuses me somewhat, though.

Hard of hearing, transcript please.

5 hours ago, R_1 said:

Hard of hearing, transcript please.

:) Okay; I'm starting to type a transcript.

@R_1 Hi. I just thought I'd give an update: I've transcribed around 40% of the podcast, so far.

I was thinking about sending it through PM, once I'm finished, because it's a lot of pages, and, also, due to the adult website ad and promo codes--for sexual products, that the host mentions at the beginning of the podcast (that aren't allowed to be promoted on AVEN).

:) If anyone else who's hard of hearing would like the transcript, once I'm finished, let me know!

Occasionally, the host and guest interrupt each other and talk at the same time, or change their thoughts, mid-sentence, so I apologize for not being able to transcribe every word (because I wasn't able to make out, exactly, what they were saying). Most of it's there, though.

God I feel bad for posting this now haha. That's a lot of work to go to, @LeChat! 😬

2 hours ago, Ceebs. said:

God I feel bad for posting this now haha. That's a lot of work to go to, @LeChat! 😬

Ah, no; it's fine. I'm glad you posted it. I've never heard of the podcast, before; and, so, far, have liked listening to it.

It's just that I'm a perfectionist and thought that I should be honest by admitting to those who are hard of hearing that I wasn't able to catch every single word; I didn't think it'd be right to not say anything and give anyone the impression that my transcript would be 100% perfect, word-for-word, when it's more like 98% or 99%.

I've come across some news interviews/podcasts, elsewhere, on the internet that were, obviously, pre-planned, with the host and guest reading out their own answers that they'd prepared, but it's also common for some interviews to be more off-the-cuff. Each type has their own pluses and minuses, I guess (even though the former cuts down on a lot of filler words, like "um's," it's possible that, for some listeners, it might come across as unrelatable, a bit too rigid and prepared). 

Even though the later kind of interview might make transcribing more difficult, it also, does come across as more relatable and not like a strict, boring, university lecture.

I also mentioned it because I thought it was important to let hard of hearing people know that I wasn't heavily editing the host's and guest's answer, taking out their filler words, because the idea of that didn't sit right with me, either (because it would, completely, change how their personalities are or come across).

:) So, it's fine. You didn't do anything wrong. I was just trying to give info about my process that I thought might be important for hard-of-hearing people to know.

Sure, it can feel, slightly, frustrating and a bit difficult, but I don't mind working on something that's challenging. It's really nothing compared to hard-of-hearing/deaf folks have to deal with (e.g. not being able to have access to some interviews/podcasts, etc., if they're not transcribed).

• 3 weeks later...

@DarkStormyKnight Hi. I saw you'd "liked" my post, about transcribing a podcast. Did you need me to send it to you? I just didn't want to miss anyone else who'd wanted it, before I delete it from my computer.

DarkStormyKnight
20 hours ago, LeChat said:

@DarkStormyKnight Hi. I saw you'd "liked" my post, about transcribing a podcast. Did you need me to send it to you? I just didn't want to miss anyone else who'd wanted it, before I delete it from my computer.

Thanks for checking! No that's alright, I just liked that you were going through all that effort for others. :)

14 minutes ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

Thanks for checking! No that's alright, I just liked that you were going through all that effort for others. :)

Okay; thanks. It's nice that some people appreciate it; I thought that, since others volunteer their time do help others, that I could, too. Plus, I've transcribed interviews/podcasts, before; it'd been a while. 

Although, since I came across apps that transcribe audio to text and vice versa, I kind of wondered whether I might've been doing something I didn't need to do, anymore.

Archived