Help! - Oregon Queer Youth Conference

zwerli

Hi all,

I am helping plan the Oregon Queer Youth Conference in February and would like to organize a workshop on asexuality. Though I plan to give some raw information about what asexuality is, I would like to include some fun tidbits to get participants involved.

I originarlly wanted to hold a cuddle party and talk about nonsexual touch. Unfortunately, with a conference involving 14 - 24 year olds, encouraging touch (even after asking for permission) just isn't feasible.

Any suggestions for a fun activity to help people learn about asexuality?

Thanks much! :D

Also, if any of you 14 - 24 year olds would like to attend OQYC on Saturday, February 24th, please check out www.oqyc.org.

I think sonofzeal had something fun with associating words with either love or sex. . .was that you, zeal? I'm afraid I can't find the thread I'm thinking of.

Where is the conference going to be? I can't find anything about location (even city) on the site. In any case, I'd suggest posting on the PDX meetup thread, since there are people from around the Portland area and all over the Pacific Northwest watching the thread.

Any suggestions for a fun activity to help people learn about asexuality?

eeps I have one for aspergers to a certain degree -- well technically an aspect of aspergers. But not asexuality. I will see if something comes to mind

When I was in a sex-ed class at a High School with 14-year-olds I made role plays. I dont know if this is fun, but its at least some way to get them involved. An asexual boy was shown in different situations: the first group showed him being at home with his worrying parents (I used the FAQ for parents heavily on that), then the next showed him later in life with his girl friend (he had to explain to her what asexuality was and convince her that this had nothing to do with the degree of love he has for her), then the girl friend explaining it to her friends, then they are married and decided for a child the artificial way, so they had to explain it to the doctor. In all those situation I left the endings open, so they could come up with their own results. In one case, the asexual even turned sexual ;) and we discussed that nothing is stable and one shouldnt limit oneself and so on. The endings were generally good starting points for discussion.

Archived