Wearing your ace ring on the left hand?

LeQuestioningAce

LeQuestioningAce

I've read that the origin of the black ace ring being worn on the right middle finger stems (at least in part) from the left ring finger usually holding your wedding band. However where I live, the wedding band is traditionaly worn on the right hand. Would it be okay to wear my ace ring on the left middle finger, or does this give it any other meaning?

Black rings on the left hand are a symbol for swingers. They've agreed that middle fingers are reserved for aces, but still, could create some very awkward misunderstandings.

LeQuestioningAce
3 minutes ago, Rynn said:

Black rings on the left hand are a symbol for swingers. They've agreed that middle fingers are reserved for aces, but still, could create some very awkward misunderstandings.

Actually from what I read its the right hand for swingers. So thats an additional no to putting the ace ring to the right imo.

AFAIK it's the question of which finger the ring is on. Middle = ace, any other = swinger ...

Mine is on the left middle finger for various reasons (rings on my dominant hand annoying me / getting in the way being one of them).

2 hours ago, Rynn said:

I thought this is for the right hand...

LeQuestioningAce

Maybe its also a regional thing where they wear the ring, just as the wedding band being worn on the right hand here where I live.

53 minutes ago, CBC said:

I don't get the big deal about caring which finger you wear something on. Wear it wherever you want. If people ask something about it, explain. I wear a birthstone ring my parents got me when I was nine years old on the finger that's supposed to be for wedding rings. That's where I like it.

Do what you wish.

😂 This reminds me of when I went to a jewelers to get my grandma's diamond ring re-set and the jeweler spent a good 10 minutes trying to talk me out of having it fitted to the ring finger on my right hand because with the style I had chosen it would apparently "look like I had a broken engagement". Seriously, who gives a flying fuck.

Wear the ring on whatever finger you want. The vast majority won't even notice it. Of those who do most won't care. Those who do care most likely won't have a clue that's it's supposed to symbolize anything and you can always explain if you need to.

RoseGoesToYale

Odds are there are some aces out where who were born without or otherwise no longer have a right hand, so...

If somebody misunderstands its meaning, you can easily correct them. But I have heard the swinger community say that the middle fingers are no-goes because they're reserved for asexuality.

I could be wrong, but I think I've read that swinger communities have reserved the middle finger on the right hand for aces, and that any other finger would be for them. Everything I've read regarding the black ring for aces specifies the middle finger on the right hand. But I don't think anything is set in stone, so who knows.

abandoned-account
3 hours ago, LeQuestioningAce said:

Actually from what I read its the right hand for swingers. So thats an additional no to putting the ace ring to the right imo.

Yeah, that's what I've read too. That's probably why I tend to use the left hand, other than reducing clutter on my right hand as I do more work with it being right-handed.

I wear mine on my wedding ring finger because that's where I thought they were supposed to go. By the time I discovered that was wrong I was already known for wearing a ring on that finger 

I don't wear any form of jewelry, but I have never seen anyone wearing a black ring either

I don't wear an ace ring but I have a really cool pride ring. I purposely wear it on my wedding ring finger so no one will ask me out. I'm not sure if it really has helped or if it's just my RBF. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 8:22 AM, LeQuestioningAce said:

I've read that the origin of the black ace ring being worn on the right middle finger stems (at least in part) from the left ring finger usually holding your wedding band. However where I live, the wedding band is traditionaly worn on the right hand. Would it be okay to wear my ace ring on the left middle finger, or does this give it any other meaning?

I would like purchase a ring to signify I am ace. 

I feel like a badge with the Ace flag would do the trick (as in, signal ace-ness to the world) better than a black ring, but YMMV.

On 11/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, LeQuestioningAce said:

On 11/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, Veezle said:

Yeah, that's what I've read too. That's probably why I tend to use the left hand, other than reducing clutter on my right hand as I do more work with it being right-handed.

From the AVEN Wiki, 

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Black_ring

A black ring worn on the middle finger of their right hand is a common symbol of the asexual community. The material and exact design of the ring are not important as long as it is primarily black. The black ring is often associated with people who identify as swingers. However parts of the swinger community have taken care to inform people to not wear the black ring on the right hand, middle finger out of respect of the Asexual community. 

everywhere and nowhere

I have a related question.

I never wore an ace ring because I've worn cotton gloves for years due to my allergy. However, they are kaputt, they cost, and at least in my area thay can't be bought in any way other than involving post (read: involving postage costs... ;)). My hands don't look that bad at the moment and in the last few months I haven't worn those black cotton gloves, only fingerless gloves made of cotton wool in the summer and, currently, warm-ish faux leather gloves. So I can tentatively say that I have "quit" wearing black cotton gloves whenever goind outdoors.

I don't have any purely black ring, but I found a black-silver ring in my collection which I haven't worn for years. I have taken a photo, I tried it on my right hand and then my camera lost power. What's your opinion, would it work as an ace ring? Would it be "read" as asexual by people who at least have a clue about asexual symbols? (I am out anyway and I don't mind telling even near-strangers that "it symbolises asexuality".)

maybe-ace-ring.jpg

My hands look old, don't you think? 🙄 Well, I'm not the youngest person, plus I have allergy and extremely dry skin. At least I don't mind it.

A slightly worse thing - which I don't mind very much either - has happened on the inner side. Due to that extreme dryness, my skin has developed longitudinal wrinkles which partially obscure my fingerprints. Poland introduced "biometric passports" a few years ago and when my passport lost its validity a few years ago, at least these small scanners used in the department for passports, IDs etc. at the Ursynów district office couldn't capture my fingerprints. In such situations the biometric section is just omitted, it happens sometimes, but I didn't know what was the reason and only later I paid attention to these wrinkles which probably gave the scanner an "error!" reaction.

Also, note my nails - this is the length I find comfortable. :) Not very conventionally feminine. :) Really, in about two days it will already start getting uncomfortable for my "taste". I trim my nails every 5-7 days and I trim them to even slightly shorter than they are in this photo.

Also, by the way, how do you like my tablecloth? My mom has been to Mexico once and she bought it for me. :)

3 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I have a related question.

I never wore an ace ring because I've worn cotton gloves for years due to my allergy. However, they are kaputt, they cost, and at least in my area thay can't be bought in any way other than involving post (read: involving postage costs... ;)). My hands don't look that bad at the moment and in the last few months I haven't worn those black cotton gloves, only fingerless gloves made of cotton wool in the summer and, currently, warm-ish faux leather gloves. So I can tentatively say that I have "quit" wearing black cotton gloves whenever goind outdoors.

I don't have any purely black ring, but I found a black-silver ring in my collection which I haven't worn for years. I have taken a photo, I tried it on my right hand and then my camera lost power. What's your opinion, would it work as an ace ring? Would it be "read" as asexual by people who at least have a clue about asexual symbols? (I am out anyway and I don't mind telling even near-strangers that "it symbolises asexuality".)

maybe-ace-ring.jpg

My hands look old, don't you think? 🙄 Well, I'm not the youngest person, plus I have allergy and extremely dry skin. At least I don't mind it.

A slightly worse thing - which I don't mind very much either - has happened on the inner side. Due to that extreme dryness, my skin has developed longitudinal wrinkles which partially obscure my fingerprints. Poland introduced "biometric passports" a few years ago and when my passport lost its validity a few years ago, at least these small scanners used in the department for passports, IDs etc. at the Ursynów district office couldn't capture my fingerprints. In such situations the biometric section is just omitted, it happens sometimes, but I didn't know what was the reason and only later I paid attention to these wrinkles which probably gave the scanner an "error!" reaction.

Also, note my nails - this is the length I find comfortable. :) Not very conventionally feminine. :) Really, in about two days it will already start getting uncomfortable for my "taste". I trim my nails every 5-7 days and I trim them to even slightly shorter than they are in this photo.

Also, by the way, how do you like my tablecloth? My mom has been to Mexico once and she bought it for me. :)

For me that ring is enough to make me wonder if the person I see wearing it may be ace or not. If I were manage to surpass my social anxiety that appears sometimes, I would probably ask you if your ring has any special significance (I wouldn't ask directly a person if they are asexual if I see a black ring on their right middle finger 😅). And btw, your hands don't look that old too me. They look okay for me. Regarding the finger nails, I also keep them short, I hate when they are too big and trim them quite often. I didn't realize your tablecloth is Mexican (not that I know much about this culture), but it's nice, I like the colors.

16 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Same! For me long nail feels... dirty. And also easier to hurt myself while scratching 😂 

I never even knew having long nails was actually considered a feminine thing to do lol. 

everywhere and nowhere

Oh, and by the way - I recall from older times, before I developed the habit of wearing cotton gloves whenever I go outdoors - that rings + gloves (ordinary autumn-winter gloves, on top of the rings) give me a very strange (and not unpleasant) feeling. It's a kind of tingling, but not on the skin (people whom I asked always assumed that it's an ordinary sensation on the skin, but it isn't) - it feels more like a tingling in my bones.

Archived