Any trans folks from Germany here? Need some advice

Another One

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to work in Germany for a while, and need some practical information about trans health care in Germany, insurance etc.

Is there any organization people like me can contact for help?

Will be really thankful for any piece of advice.

I'm not really trans and I'm afraid I can't answer questions about trans health care, but I'll be happy to translate something for you if you need help with the German language. אני גם מדבר*ת קצת עברית. 😊

On 12/20/2019 at 7:33 PM, Another One said:

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to work in Germany for a while, and need some practical information about trans health care in Germany, insurance etc.

Is there any organization people like me can contact for help?

Will be really thankful for any piece of advice.

Which town/city are you moving to? The best help you can get is probably from local organizations for finding doctor or therapists. I don't know how it is if you have an official diagnosis from abroad, but if you do not have one you need to find a specialized therapist first who will write letters to the health insurance to get further medical transitioning covered. The waiting times for a therapist are ofte several months and then it can take again about half a year to a year to start HRT. If you already have diagnosis by a doctor from your home it may be faster. If you are already taking hormones the best is probably to check immigration regulations and bring as much hormones with you as you can.

A good starting point is probably dgti https://www.dgti.org/

Luftschlosseule

I second what @Bloc wrote. Local organisations might be able to help best. I wish you good luck with your move. (:

I too would say that you should check out local organisations. Healthcare itself can often go over the employer, so you should check your employer's rules regarding this, as well as their healthcare's rules. Best of luck!

8 hours ago, Morgenrot said:

Healthcare itself can often go over the employer, so you should check your employer's rules regarding this, as well as their healthcare's rules. Best of luck!

In Germany the employer has nothing to say which public insurance you choose. They have to pay their share of the insurance fees anyway and if you earn enough (>62 550 € before taxes per year in 2020 or working freelance) to be in a private insurance it is the same. I would not advise to ask the employer if trans related care is covered by the insurance. There is no difference between employers and there is no need to out yourself if you don't want and if you want to then there are better ways than asking for trans related care.

Public insurances have to pay for trans related care if you have a diagnosis (Indikation) from a specialized therapist. However it is often a struggle to get things covered, even when they have to pay, and there are some arbitrary waiting times, especially for surgeries, like you have to go to psychotherapy for at least x months to get approved. The best is to have someone experienced help you. They may also point you to a health insurance which is less struggle.

There is an exception for Beamte who work for the state. The state covers half of their medical bills up to some limit depending on the condition and for the other half they need a private insurance. Here I don't know the regulations, but there must be a possibility as there are a few trans soldiers in Germany.

Thanks to everyone,

I'll do my best to get an official diagnosis from home.

Will try to contact dgti first.

It's a bit scary and embarrassing to deal with this stuff abroad 😓

3 hours ago, Another One said:

It's a bit scary and embarrassing to deal with this stuff abroad 😓

It's already scary enough in your home country and then in a country where you don't know how the medical system works.

*offers a hug*

Archived