Body neutrality - and alternative to body positivity

everywhere and nowhere

everywhere and nowhere

https://feminisminindia.com/2019/09/02/body-neutrality-alternative-body-positivity/

Beauty ideals affect different genders in different ways. While the statistics show that women are more affected, men are often imposed with different set of ideals. Body positivity has tried to shatter these ideals, but it has made transgender people feel left out. For example, affirmations like ‘Your body is already perfect‘ might not work for a transgender person, because they might see their body as misaligned with who they are. Body neutrality gives them a space to accept their body first, rather than telling them it’s beautiful or perfect.

Simply expanding the idea of beauty doesn’t work because beauty industry is still using the same tactics to sell their products, just with a few different words and including actors with different skin tones and body types. They are still telling people what will make them beautiful and it will get them ahead in their lives.

It does not mean that people should stop wearing makeup or stop feeling good about their bodies. It’s a personal choice what you do with your body. But it’s also important to understand that it’s not the job of women or men to look beautiful. It’s what they should do (if they want to) for themselves, not under some set notions of the society. 

Thus, body neutrality provides an alternative space for people who do not want to focus on how their bodies looks, or who can’t love their bodies just yet. It gives a space to transgender people, and people with disabilities, and also to people who don’t want to feel guilty for not loving their bodies every day. 

Very interesting also for myself as someone who generally rejects the rhetoric of "loving oneself" and prefers self-respect.

RoseGoesToYale

This probably more accurately describes what I feel. There are things I like about my body, there are things I don't like, but overall, I'm used to this body and wouldn't want a different one. Nobody asks to be born, much less have the body they're stuck with, and really if anybody can make their body work to their strengths and advantages, then it's a good thing.

It's GREAT to give ones' self the right to be happy without meeting the suggested requirement of being attractive first. What kind of happiness is that? One that is totally contingent on so many things you can't control and didn't choose?

That's one of the things I've always loved about rock'r'roll. UGLY IS COOL! Because to HELL with being miserable if you can help it!

Janus the Fox

I’d say I’m this body state of mind too, totally neutral to it, gender wise as well.  I know that my body has reshaped with weight and illness over the years, I have respect for it in what it is now at this moment, why it’s changed in the past and the changes that will happen later.

As trans I’m rather switched off from it, but respect it and made necessary changes with being a bit different in mind.  I can’t really be disrespectful to a body that has given me trouble, it’ll change in time.

Though that article could be taken very poorly in fat positivity spaces.  I was fat once until that too had to change for medical reasons.  One caution in mind is that if there’s a problem see a professional about it.  The worst thing that can happen is that a person becomes severely positive or neutral that serious problems or illnesses and pain is ignored that could be treated or changed.

Moved to Philosophy, Politics and Science

Homer

Moderator World Watch

Archived