• Cthulhu awakes
    • Mega volcano
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

Dreamsexual

NickyTannock

I'm partial to a Robot/AI takeover.

*snip*

I pick Cthulu, just because I like the idea of our last moments to be "huh, I guess the Cthulu books were non-fiction".

I nearly picked religious apocalypse for the same reason, but Cthulu won out because I like Cephalopods.

Side note; would Cthulu not count as a religious apocalypse? 🤔

Captain_Tass

AI takeover because of a meme and because my transhumanist butt might actually have a chance of survival there just so I can watch what happens, rather than die immediately. With the others... Not so much. Cthulu was close behind, for the same reasons as @ByeYall! and @Shyni.

I'd want it quick so voted asteroid, but I'd like it to be big enough to completely wreck the place. I actually thought about this the other day (weird, eh?) and if it was inevitable, we'd see it coming from way off. I reckon there'd be time to travel to the impact point. I'd rather be there than have to deal with what comes afterwards ... https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-happened-seconds-hours-weeks-after-dino-killing-asteroid-hit-earth-180960032/

46 minutes ago, CBC said:

The asteroid thing. Seems the most humane. I'm not going to wish prolonged suffering on humanity. We suck as a collective, but I wouldn't wish for people to have to go through terrible disasters or wars or whatever.

This.

Though I admit I'm selfish enough to hope that in the unlikely case that a planet killer asteroid strikes in my lifetime, ground zero will be in Europe or the Middle East, so I'd die immediately in the first blast of fire and shockwaves. Lingering on for a few months in a pseudo-"nuclear" winter on the other hemisphere from where it struck... the sky pitch black, all life around you slowly perishing... that idea is horrible. 

Nuclear war. At least i’d be spared because I’m next to a army reserves.

Dreamsexual

I .

Prufrock, but like, worse

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!

SorryNotSorry

I voted "other" because a paradigm shift would cause most people's minds to short out.

Rockblossom

I voted Cthulhu because ... Cthulhu!

Really, my favorite ending would be finding out that the universe really is a 3D projection, and someone just decides to turn off the projector.  Then we could all say: "Well, that universe was interesting, but a little weird and creepy, with a bit too much pain and suffering.  Let's do a bit of rewriting on that code segment and try this again."

Slice of Ace

I went for the asteroid, because then I'd have something in common with the dinosaurs 😂 But this is my post gut-reaction analysis:

Environmental catastrophe: This would just make me lose all faith in humanity, so definitely not (assuming it was related to climate change)

Nuclear war: At least the cockroaches and Godzilla would survive, I guess?

Extinction-level asteroid: I reckon it'd be a fast end, and like I said, dinosaurs.

Super-plague pandemic: Eek, this one would be slow and may include distasteful side effects like vomiting, pain, or boils.

Religious apocalypse: Not the worst thing, depending on the religion. Let's go with Ragnarok, so we can have a giant wolf having a death match with a one-eyed viking. Ooh, on the up side, that means there'll be an afterlife to inhabit afterward. Damn, this was a good option, now that I think about it! 

Extra-terrestrial invasion: I'd feel a lot less alone, knowing there are other guys out there. On the other hand, I'd be dead.

Zombies: Are we talking fast zombies or slow zombies? Is it a virus which affects the living, or animates dead bodies? How is it transmittable? Can they climb walls? Are there animal zombies? All important questions in assessing this option. 

Robot/AI Takeover: Eh, they'd probably do a better job at it than humans do.

Cthulu Awakes: Interesting... Everybody loves a good Lovecraftian monster. However, since they're entire thing is scaring you and driving you insane, that doesn't sound like the best way to go. 

Mega volcano: Lava has some really cool physics, and it looks really neat. Unfortunately, I'd probably get choked by ash or killed by a pyroclastic flow before getting to admire the lava, so that'll be a no from me.

Other: WAIT, I forgot about Godzilla or other kaiju! Damn it, I should have chosen this one so I could be munched up by King Ghidorah! Assuming their arrival would be sufficiently apocalyptic.

Kitteη χ

Other: The Big Rip (A hypothetical model for the death of the universe in which all matter is torn apart by the universe's expansion)

Grumpy Alien

Death is terrifying and I wouldn’t survive any form of apocalypse nor would I really want to so I chose asteroid. Instant death, not much warning.

Soul Searcher

I chose asteroid collision because I've always been fascinated by stars and sky. So dying from that would be beautiful and more or less painless as we would disintegrate before the actual collision (if the asteroid is big enough).

Other than that, I would not say no to some other methods like Thanos' Snap.

Or this, 

20 minutes ago, Kraken X said:

Other: The Big Rip (A hypothetical model for the death of the universe in which all matter is torn apart by the universe's expansion)

Plus, there are Big Chill, Big Bounce and Big Crunch.

Here's my favorite- Some time travel experiment gone wrong and the universe is engulfed by a black hole.

Soul Searcher
2 hours ago, Life Of Tass said:

AI takeover because of a meme and because my transhumanist butt might actually have a chance of survival there just so I can watch what happens, rather than die immediately. With the others... Not so much. Cthulu was close behind, for the same reasons as @ByeYall! and @Shyni.

I too would like to watch and know what happens and actually enjoy my death (once in a lifetime experience). Not too much of a survivor guy, so I am most likely to go out in the early wave but I'd rather die enjoying my death than try to live in an inhabitable world.

Member131995

Honestly I'd love me a good robot/ai takeover for reasons I cannot state because I'm bound by a confidentiality clause in the Robots Against Humanity Campaign.

*JK*

Anthracite_Impreza

Machine takeover, I'm on their side.

Anything involving the cosmos: universe expansion, heat death from sun expansion, asteroid, etc. It would be fitting to have something astronomical, which gave rise to Earth and which people largely ignore, do us in. Symmetry.

Custard Cream

3 hours ago, Rockblossom said:

I voted Cthulhu because ... Cthulhu!

Seconded. For the same reason!

Mega volcano so big the pyroclastic flow would instantly kill you.

So beautiful and easy.

"or (if you are a clearer minded thinker) that the Vogon had never been born"

Any other doomsday scenario that happens far away from here (with "far" being defined as so far away that it doesn't affect us at all).

Skycaptain

Robot AI takeover, just being realistic 

Other- Everyone just stops breeding. Probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Gloomy said:

Other- Everyone just stops breeding. Probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

I like this. A plague which renders everyone sterile. Perfect!

Archived