Visibility necklace

!

The Evil Cashew

ok so i made a couple.. 1 was with fishing line and one was with a thread..

uhm

fishing line.. at least the stuff i was using ( i think it was too thick) makes the beads curl too much so its icky. i would have to try again with a thinner line

and i KNOW these aren't purple and black... ic ouldn't find the beads i was lokoing for but this would give you an idea anyways... i took hte picture next to a quarter so you could see the size....

this one still kinda curls a bit when you pick it up. but less so... i woul dneed to play with it more when i had more time to make it work right...

but anyays you could make your own like this

Picture1.jpg

~Cashew

note: you could use bigger beads to make it BIGGER but personaly i find when you do this kinda of beading with bigger beads it looks yucky....

but you could try

Adventuress Heart

Neat idea! We used to do flowers like that when I was younger, brings back memories.

I'm going to try that *hmm.. need some fishing line*

That's awesome!

Tonight I'm gonna try and find my beads (if I have any left) but I won't be able to show it cause I don't have a digital camera :( But oh well ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Plur na mBan

Maybe if you make the triangle with jeweler's wire, or other thin wire, and then just attatch that to whatever the necklace would be made of?

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

when i get my digital camera back, ie sept 14th when i get back home ( on campus at uni atm) i will take a foto of the beads i bought esp for making AVEN necklaces. they are silver triangles that point down like the aven symbol. They are soooo cool!!!!!! but yeah, anywho. will take pics when i gets zee camera :D if i can find a pic before then i will post it though!

SS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I love this idea that was posted here:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/69/d5/3d_1_b.JPG

I also want to find a logo that links to this site so I can put it on my website. I don't know if you have this or a way to promote this site, I have been looking around to see if you do. That's when I came across this thread. So if there is a graphic link to use on my site let me know.

I too don't care for any of the clothe or items in the Aven store right now. I like the keychain idea but the jewelery idea is my favorite. It would make it easier to met others like ourselves which would be great. I'd like something like the image above on the rope because it isn't such that I would have to explain what it means to everyone, it looks just like a nice necklace.

Diane

I hadn't realized there was a second page to this thread so I missed the beaded idea pictured and the other person's idea that they are going to post when they get back to school. These are great ideas.

I use the beading wire to do my beading so I'll be using that, I have never tried fishing line but that probably works well too. I heard someone used floss for this too and that it worked well. I don't know how to thread the beads like this to form the triangle to make it this though. Does anyone have a site to explain how to do this kind of thing. If not I have a craft group online that I can ask.

Diane

DianeLap, looks to me like what Cash did was:

thread the bottom bead on the center of the line,

then pull each end through the next two beads,

then pull each end through the next three beads, etc

So the lines cross through each row of beads, and the rows are only connected at the sides. At the end you'd tie off the line with the loop below it.

Does that make sense without visuals?

Thanks. That's how I thought it might be done, thanks I will be making this soon. Did you say it would be best made in purple, and why would that be, has purple been choosen as the "A" color?

Diane

I see now why you used the fishing line, I used some jewelry wire that was gold colored and it didn't look that great on the sides of the beads.

I used a really thick/stiff jewelry wire and it worked better than the lighter one but I think it would of been even better with something thicker/stiffer.

When I was done it I put one of those pins or whatever they are called, they are used for beading, I put it though the top row of beads. I used the one with the loop on one end. I made another loop on the other end to match and cut the pin to make that loop small. The pin took care of the slight curve that the top row had when it was finished. I found the less stiff the wire the more rounded the rows will be.

I did mine in black and purple. I put one extra row on of the black as well as the other color.

Diane

I found some triangle beads at my local A.C. Moore's store that look a bit like the ones on this site: http://www.abeadstore.com/shapes2.html

The ones I got a AC Moore's are more rounded on the edges though and are plastic. The beads I found are one solid colored bead about the size of a US quarter. I bought pink beads, I believe the other color option was green.

There were only 4 beads like this in the multi pack I got. Was about $1.88 for the pack. I like the beads on the site I posted here better, I don't know about the company though.

Diane

Thanks. That's how I thought it might be done, thanks I will be making this soon. Did you say it would be best made in purple, and why would that be, has purple been choosen as the "A" color?

Diane

Not officially, I guess it's just something we AVENites associate with AVEN, seeing as our forum is bright lavender and all.

Thanks. I did notice after I asked this that the symbol above is that color. I went looking around in the store and saw some Aven totes and got to see the symbol really good on them and it was the purple with the black.

Diane

I bought some of those letters beads and made a bracelet that said Aven on it in 3 different colors. It really came out good. I used the clear electric beading thread to make this. I put beads between the words.

Diane

Maybe we could think of something that's easy to make at home, like a triangle made from copper wire for example. That way everyone could make their own and there'd be no buying or selling involved. Or maybe if someone wanted to, they could make many beads or whatever is chosen, and send them to people who can't make their own. Everyone who had the materials to make it could make a few and send them to others.

Maybe some of us can agree on a design. Even if it's not used by everyone, those of us who wear one could recognize each other. I have a whole bunch of copper wire too and I like making stuff out of it, especially jewelry. If the necklace is something original, like something home made, then there'll be less of a chance of assuming someone is from AVEN even though they could just be someone who bought the same necklace as one of us.

Inconspicuous

I've seen gay men wearing necklaces with a male symbol with two arrows, and lesbians wearing necklaces with a female symbol with two plus signs, and I've also seen straight people wearing them with a male and female sign in one, so... couldn't ours just be a circle?

I just had two necklaces made up at the gem and mineral show that is going on this weekend near me. One is a triangle shaped shell and the other one is a gem stone. They have gold filled wire all around them and are on waxed black cording, so nice.

So if you have a gem show you might want to give them a try.

Diane

I've seen gay men wearing necklaces with a male symbol with two arrows, and lesbians wearing necklaces with a female symbol with two plus signs, and I've also seen straight people wearing them with a male and female sign in one, so... couldn't ours just be a circle?

I was thinking the same exact thing the other day. I even posted it in another thread somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the two I had made up at the gem and mineral show near me. I scanned them so they are in black and white. One is a shell and the other one is a yellow tone stone.

img040.jpg

Diane

SpirallingSnowy

Sorry for delay on pic of beads.... am in process of moving back home som prolly about 12th Nov i will have it up. i dont have a cord for my digital camera at the moment so i cant upload anything as yet

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at the bead store today. I got a bunch of big shiny purple beads and found a triangle pendant with a circle in the middle (hey both symbols!). I just finished that necklace. I'm going to make a bracelet too. It'll be the kind where you put the string through the same row in both directions each time, starting purple then in the middle draw the triangle in black, grey, and white, then more purple to the end.

Archived