Aromantic Clarification Once and For All

questioningmyself

questioningmyself

I have read so many different things about people being aromantic. Now I want to say that they aren't educated about aces, but I just want to clear it up. 

My take on aromantic were those who wanted a relationship but it was purely platonic. 

Now one definition shows it as someone who experiences little or no romantic attraction to others. 

And then other sites explain it as those who just sleep with people because they do not experience romantic feelings. 

Which one is true?

letusdeleteouraccounts

An aromantic is a person who hasn’t experienced romantic attraction in their life just as an asexual is a person who hasn’t experienced sexual attraction in their life. People who have experienced romantic/sexual attraction rarely or only under certain circumstances are called grayromantics/graysexuals (this is a description of orientation, not an actual orientation itself). Aromantics/asexuals can still date/have sex or want to date/have sex despite not having that feeling encouraging them to date/have sex with specific people

questioningmyself

Okay! Thank you for the clarification Star Lion! Some sites on the internet made them out to be overly sexual. 

Anthracite_Impreza
2 minutes ago, questioningmyself said:

Okay! Thank you for the clarification Star Lion! Some sites on the internet made them out to be overly sexual. 

Those sites are generally ones with an anti-casual sex stance, so any level of sex without romance is 'overly' sexual to them.

letusdeleteouraccounts
3 minutes ago, questioningmyself said:

I’ve actually never seen a website do that but that’s funny 😂

Moved from Questions about Asexuality to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations.

TheAP

Questions about Asexuality mod

An aromantic is someone who doesn't experience romantic attraction. Some aromantics want an exclusive platonic relationship (queerplatonic relationship), while others don't. Some aromantics experience sexual attraction and may have sex with people without romantic feelings, while others are asexual.

banana monkey

I would say all 3 of the above @questioningmyself.

An aromantic does not experience romantic attraction. It is possible they could have sexual attraction and as a result "(just) sleep with people because (when) they do not have romantic feelings". SImilarly many aromantics dont want relationships at all but those that do most commonly (but not always) want a purely platonic one because they do not have romantic feelings. 

aromantic + sexual = experience sexual attraction but NO romantic attraction

aromantic + asexual = experience NO sexual attraction AND no romantic attraction

I think there can be other attractions possible, like aesthetic attraction, platonic attraction, the likes.

Archived