Cat & dog people census

Semiterrestrial Scientist

🐈 🐶   

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, cats or dogs?

• Cats
    • Dogs

This poll is closed to new votes

I wanna see how many of u are cat/dog people 

Making us choose... this is borderline* sociopathic. 

*Edited strikethrough for accuracy

ArchangelAlbatross

Cats.

Cats.

Cats.

...and a newly inherited dog I'm accidentally mad for.

9 minutes ago, Polygon said:

Making us choose... this is borderline sociopathic. 

I guess I never was good at keeping secrets 😝

Cats!

Although dogs are adorable, I just can't choose them over cats. 

Plus, I live with an impossibly adorable and ladylike cat, so I may be a bit biased. 😋

EmotionalAndroid

I honestly love both. Dogs have wonderful personalities, are always loving, and can help humans so much. Cats are kind of scumbags, but they are so fluffy and cute.

So what did I vote for? Cats. CATS ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMAL!

I don't really care for any animals.  But if I had to pick one of these, cats on the basis of being less noisy.

26 minutes ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

I honestly love both. Dogs have wonderful personalities, are always loving, and can help humans so much. Cats are kind of scumbags, but they are so fluffy and cute.

So what did I vote for? Cats. CATS ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMAL!

Why the heck do people think cats are jerks? I’ve met dozens of cats, and all of them but one were kind, empathetic, sweet, caring, and absolutely adorable. From what I’ve seen, cats are only irritated with people who don’t know how to interact properly with cats, they don’t like them because they’re rude to them (by cat standards, they have their own edicute system, which probably causes most of the problems, some people don’t have the right personality to really connect with cats well).

I think the only reason why my cats still love me is because I grow catnip for them and feed them.

Other than that, they flat out don't give a hoot about me.

EmotionalAndroid
47 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

Why the heck do people think cats are jerks? I’ve met dozens of cats, and all of them but one were kind, empathetic, sweet, caring, and absolutely adorable. From what I’ve seen, cats are only irritated with people who don’t know how to interact properly with cats, they don’t like them because they’re rude to them (by cat standards, they have their own edicute system, which probably causes most of the problems, some people don’t have the right personality to really connect with cats well).

I've had some cats that are really sweet, and others who are jerks. But just in general, it seems like cats don't have as much respect for humans as dogs do. But it's probably just a cultural difference. Haha.

Cats ❤️

I think that generally it's more likely for people who like to spend time on online forums to prefer cats. It seems to me like often more introverted people prefer cats and more extroverted and outgoing people prefer dogs. Idk that's just something I've paid attention to

I don't have any pets, but I've thought, if I were to have one, I'd like having a cat, rather than a dog; the former just seem more relaxed and quiet, and unlike neighbors' untrained dogs, less likely to act aggressive towards me or bite me when I'm minding my own business.

I love both but I do prefer cats over dogs. We had a cat Ralph who just was so nice. We've had other cats and dogs but cats have been my preference.

Some dogs have had issues with me unfortunately. A dog we had did not like me at all. She would bark at me, chase me in our house. She never took to me. I have also been bitten by other dogs and dogs have caused me to have accidents while cycling.

If it was an option, FISH!

But cats 100% over dogs. Cats are chill, self sufficient, self cleaning, and very fluffy/soft. Meanwhile dogs are very high maintenance. While a cat will appreciate you just petting it, your dog will only be happy with 3 walks, 2 hours of play time, 2 big meals, 5 snacks every single day. Plus a dog will eat your food and need hours of training. Cats don't need any beyond the basics. 

6 hours ago, CBC said:

I'm kind of a... fish and plant person. And yes I know that's basically code for "boring as fuck". But I love my fish very much, and my plants too. -_- 

I have fish and bonsai trees, I'm so boring 🤣 I've embraced it.

I couldn’t possibly choose. I adore both.

Anthracite_Impreza

I love dogs, I strongly dislike cats. I also don't see the point of cats as pets; they just eat your food, scratch you, bring dead things in the house and then ignore you. Dogs however, are genuinely happy to see you, love you, and want to spend time with you (my dog follows me everywhere, even the bog). Plus, you can take dogs for walks, teach them things, play with them and they will alert you to any intruders (well, most will...).

But I'm still gonna say: snails are 2nd best.

RoseGoesToYale

What if you love both equally?

I think it's an unfair stereotype to say that people who prefer dogs are extroverted and outgoing. Everyone needs to be emotionally cared for to some extent, and dogs do that without talking or costing much money or asking us to read the screenplay they're working on. On the flip side of that, people who like to go out more, and are more likely to be extroverted, would appreciate that cats can be left alone for longer.

Considering I have a cat who frequently gets carried by me and has my permission to rest on the back of my neck while I walk my dog...

I love both cats and dogs. I chose cats in this poll as I think they suit me better. Dogs can be too unruly.

11 hours ago, Anthraxite_Vampreza said:

I also don't see the point of cats as pets; they just eat your food, scratch you, bring dead things in the house and then ignore you. Dogs however, are genuinely happy to see you, love you, and want to spend time with you

Respectfully, I disagree. My old cat was a rescue cat, and he didn't really trust anyone except me and my close family. The love was absolutely mutual, and he would never just bring dead things in the house and then ignore us.

Maybe cats show affection differently to dogs, but they do show affection in my opinion.

Sorry about that, just needed to defend my cat's honour 😝 Feel free to ignore this message 

Celyn: The Lutening

Dogs, by a very narrow margin. Just because how goofy and happy they are. I mean, LOOK AT EDDIE'S FACE IN MY PROFILE PIC. Doggy smiles and wagging tails are the best.

But my favourite individual pet of all time was a huge, raggedy eared, ginger tabby who liked belly rubs.

Also, this is parrot person erasure. 

I like both, but given my work schedule I have neither. I do prefer cats though as they are similar in personality to me

For the record I voted dogs because I figured they'd get pummeled in this poll. If AVEN were a site for anything else it would be cats. 😂

19 hours ago, Lusnaofer said:

I think it's an unfair stereotype to say that people who prefer dogs are extroverted and outgoing.

Yeah, I never understood that. I mean, it's not a particularly negative stereotype or anything (Extroverted? Oh, the horror), but there are so many breeds of dogs with so many unique temperaments. With that much variation it's not like all dogs will only appeal to the same group of particular people. 

Edit: Missed opportunity to say I rooted for the underdog. This is such a massive failure of my purpose that I'm gonna dwell on it for years. 

For me, Cats are the best. They are easy, they will sleep on your keyboard when you don't want them to, they will not beg you for food, they purr, they don't need to be walked, they chase after lasers, they keep mice away, they snuggle next to you when they are cold, etc.

However, I do have Canine-Phobia due to some really bad dog-related experiences. For some reason it seems all the rage to bring your dog with you anywhere you go (There was a dog in the hardware store yesterday!) which creates all sorts of problems for me because when I see a dog, I either I freak out and stand completely still or I want to run away as fast as possible. But there are a couple dogs I can tolerate.

Archived