'I miss being a kid' rant that i gotta get off my chest

__AJ__

Wolf X Omega

I'm ahead of ya, or at least i'm pretty lucky, me and my friends always joke around, we are like kids when were together(Well except when i'm feeling down, i usually don't pay much attention to them), and nothing of this thing of "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!!" thing

You realize that in order to gain the perks of being regarded as an adult--getting respected, people taking you seriously and valuing your opinion--you have to stop asking questions and instead pretend like you have the answers. You have to lie and act cold and distanced. You have to drink, have a boy/girlfriend, and hang out with people your own age.

Aside from hanging out with people your own age, I've not noticed any of the others being true. I know many people who respect you more when you admit not knowing instead of making something up. The people who are not cold and distanced are often regarded as more fun to be around. I know many people who don't drink, or who do drink and do not do so to get drunk (I am one of the latter). I know many people who don't care about others marital status (though this is less common than the others). I am rather young though, but this is my observation.

I don't know where you live, Dargon, but I want to move there. I'm mostly talking about New England, I guess. West Coast is different. Not sure where Mesquite is.

But you point out how it's all a matter of perspective. If certain people didn't like their childhoods, than they think adulthood is better. If people thought their childhood was better than their life is now, than they think childhood is better. I still think both have their perks. There's nothing "superior" about being an adult, or a child.

you have to stop asking questions

I want to double-underline this point, because I think it applies more than my others. This is one of the biggest let-downs for me about adulthood. People constantly argue for their opinions, and everybody is so set in their ways of thinking. That's from my experience, of course.

You realize that in order to gain the perks of being regarded as an adult--getting respected, people taking you seriously and valuing your opinion--you have to stop asking questions and instead pretend like you have the answers. You have to lie and act cold and distanced. You have to drink, have a boy/girlfriend, and hang out with people your own age.

What planet are you living on? You described all the traits adults use to determine someone is still immature and childish.

(I'm in PA)

Children of the sloth

It's especially frustrating when you only look like an adult. In the past week I've had somebody ask me where to buy pot, and a world vision rep. looked freaked out when I told him I couldn't support a child for 30 dollars a month because I didn't make thirty dollars in six months.

Getting older is just annoying. We let the inner editor take over completely instead of turning into a Jack Kerouac kind of person and running around living it up while we can. This really pisses me off because I'm locked in a kind of eternal mythological battle with my inner editor, and have to fight it off to get any happiness. Everybody else either lacks one completely (Children and wonderus crazy people.) or allows it to take over their lives. (Adults.)

None of this really made sense.

I want to monkey around, damnit! This society sucks!

Be like me and my friends, and start a fight club!

I spent my childhood being lonely, frustrated, and waiting to grow up. Now that I'm an "adult", in the physiological sense anyway, I've realized that adults are exactly the same as children, in all the ways that really matter: they're mean to each other, and they are afraid to tackle difficult ideas or go against the grain.

None of the ways in which I look at the world could really be called "mature". I am not motivated by money or sex, I'm not at peace with the establishment (or with my own peers), and the inside of my own head usually seems more real than the real world does.

What planet are you living on? You described all the traits adults use to determine someone is still immature and childish.

Ah, so we see how subjective it is, then :wink:

Ghastly Beast

Childhood? No thanks. :shock:

Being a kid had it's good points, but I remember most of my childhood being either frustrating, or scary. I prefer being an adult, and all of the freedoms that come along with it.

College kicked ass. Elementary school blew chunks. Now I have a much better idea of who I am, and how to survive. As for friends, I'm very selective. Sexual, or non-sexual, there's a certain type of personality I click with, and they're a rare breed.

I've realized that adults are exactly the same as children, in all the ways that really matter: they're mean to each other, and they are afraid to tackle difficult ideas or go against the grain.

Yup. Very well put.

I FAR prefer adulthood so far. Sure, there's some worry, and you have less freedom in some ways. Sure, it's harder to make friends, and there's a lot less horsing around.

On the upside, you get far more freedom in some areas, you are only answerable to yourself, you have better judgement to tell which people are going to be worthy of the trust and admiration you give them, and you are free to make friends with people who also find horsing around to be the ultimate in fun. Or, if you prefer getting stumblingly drunk in a smoky bar and talking politics, you can find people who also enjoy that. I guess to me it just seems like you have far more choice as an adult than a kid, and I prefer that.

I don't know where you live, Dargon, but I want to move there. I'm mostly talking about New England, I guess. West Coast is different. Not sure where Mesquite is.

Texas. So if it's any coast, Gulf Coast (though Mesquite is about 5 hours from the coast, College Station about two).

Ah, okay, thanks. I googled it a little while ago and it said Nevada, so I'm glad you told me :!:

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but for me, my childhood was lovely. So many great memories, great friends. High school especially. I guess college is kind of a let down considering, but I'm optimistic and am hoping things will return to their former state of awesomeness. Anyway, that's probably why I personally think childhood is so much better. Now I love working with kids, being in a school, chillin' with old friends... all the nostalgic things.

helana12_03

Yeh, just having fun without sexual stuff, sounds great...

In the past, I tried to "fight" friends of mine and stuff, just for fun, however that continued until I realized most of them did not take it a plotonically as I did, so now I no longer do those things.

Me, I was never keen on this growing up business.

I mean there are cool things about it (drinking gin legally, having the vote, staying up as late as you want) but man, if I could go back to elementary school I could have some real fun.

Incidentally, my elementary school has been torn down and replaced with condos.

Although I'd rather not deal with some of the stuff I had to when I was younger, there is some stuff that isn't the same. I mean you try to build a fort with blankets and pillows and people go -you want to what? how old are you?. I mean a few days ago I was jumping around and three people reported that I was on drugs to my supervisor. Hahahaha. My supervisor thought it was funny though.

Although I'd rather not deal with some of the stuff I had to when I was younger, there is some stuff that isn't the same. I mean you try to build a fort with blankets and pillows and people go -you want to what? how old are you?. I mean a few days ago I was jumping around and three people reported that I was on drugs to my supervisor. Hahahaha. My supervisor thought it was funny though.

The advantage about being an elementary teacher is that you can play all you want and everyone just says your dedicated to your profession.

Hallucigenia

Oh man, building a fort with blankets and pillows would be awesome.

I've been told that I act "young" in certain ways - I never learned to suppress the way my moods show in my body, mainly because (as an oblivious Aspie) I didn't even notice it happened until recently. I prance around and clap my hands and giggle madly when I'm happy, and I curl into a little ball when I'm sad. I've actually never gotten criticized for it - in fact, my parents say it's refreshing and I should keep doing it. I've gotten some bemused comments on occasion, but that's fine with me.

On the other hand, I like my increased intellectual and emotional capacity now that I'm an adult. I like the way I can be trusted with more stuff and granted more independance than before. And, well, I like romance.

My goal in life is to keep the best of both worlds.

SorryNotSorry

I dunno, it's a toss-up.

What I liked most about being a kid, was being able to eat a lot more nachos and drink a lot more chocolate milk, and not have to worry about getting fat. The hell with guilt!!!

Sure, I can drive now... but it's nowhere near as shocking to the conservative Christian community as when I used to say I wanted a 4-door Chrysler sedan for my 6th birthday, and a license to drive it. From the way eveyone around me reacted, you'd'a' thought God was going to shove LIGHTNING up the butt of anyone under 18 who dared to drive, or anyone over 18 who helped them do so!

Archived