ideal living arrangement

gambit_boi

Ideally in a nice big house with a few extra cuddly asexual girls who are also inteligent enough for a game of scrabble occasionally.

Its a bit of an asexual fantasy I suppose.

Where are you? Come live with me? We can go live in Vancouver with User Name! :D It'll be fun!

Ideally in a nice big house with a few extra cuddly asexual girls who are also inteligent enough for a game of scrabble occasionally.

Where are you? Come live with me? We can go live in Vancouver with User Name! :D It'll be fun!

Unfortunately I live in the UK.

Well, that *can* be changed, right? :wink:

Of course. You could move to the uk :P

They do have railways over there. Can you find lout how much they pay? :P

Whats that gotta do with anything?

Quiet Butterfly

I've always said that my idea living arrangement would be with a partner, living in two sides of a duplex. We would have our own separate spaces for alone time and could get together for cuddling or companionship when we needed/wanted it. I hate living alone, but having someone else constantly in the house with me does all kinds of bad things to my mental state (I try to become a hermit just to get some personal space of my own, but then suffer from lack of contact with others, and it's not a pretty sight).

I could handle a housemate but not someone sharing my room, probably. Or having a few close friends living nearby that drop in periodically. Or the duplex or top/bottom parts of houses that people mentioned. . . for me the more critical part would be the person involved. They'd have to be roughly the same level of asocial/semi-socialness as me, where we could get together and chat or cuddle or cook together and then just be quiet together, or go off alone without it being a problem.

Of course. You could move to the uk :P

*lol* Not quite the change I had in mind, but not a bad idea either...

ratatosk_lemur
what would your ideal future/current arrangements be as far as co-habitaion? a housemate? marriage? boston marriage? a boyfriend/girlfriend? single? semi single? something else?

i think i'd like to remain on my own. or (cloistered and social-phobic as this probably sounds) prehaps live with my sister. she'd make a wonderful housemate, really, and we're very close as it is.

Based on experiences in college, I don't think I could ever live with someone else and enjoy it, and I can't really imagine wanting to live with other people.

my ideal living arrangement is living with myself, since i just find living with anyone, no matter how good of friends i am with them intolerable. i also hate conflict of any kind, and you can't live with someone without it. eventually either you'll be putting up with someone's mess or they'll be putting up with yours. i just find compromises in terms of living style impossible to make.

i wouldn't mind living near friends, which i sort of do, i live in a small town. i wouldn't care to live too close since i don't want anyone getting into the habit of stopping by unannounced.

Well, the current 'ideal' would be to move back to Hawaii after college, possibly get a masters in Tokyo after a couple years at work.

After that, the dream is to be in a house I design myself on the North Shore (or on Kauai if there were structural engineering jobs on Kauai) with my asexy hubby and 2-3 kids, either adopted or foster. I'd want the home to be on the smaller side, but since I'll be the designer, I'd make the most use of the space. A larger lot would be awesome, but that's difficult to come by in Hawaii. One major house feature would be to have a sewing/art studio. And woodworking equipment in the garage so my husband and I would still have a way to be really loud and disturb the neighbors. XD

Serious fantasy going on here, but I shall not give up yet! Although living on the North Shore would mean a horrible commute into Honolulu for work. Telecommuting, eh?

Ideally, I live in a three story house built on a hill in Canada. The first floor, accessible from the lower side of the hill, is my significant other's floor. It has whatever room he or she wants. The second floor, accessible from the higher side of the hill, is a shared floor. It has a kitchen, dinning room and living room (possibly a half or full bathroom and/or one guest bedroom). The third floor, accessible by walking up the outside (or inside) stairs is my floor. It has my bedroom, an office area, my bathroom and another room. My significant other and I eat dinner together each night and always give each other a goodnight hug before going to bed. We do not disturb each other in our own domains (first and third floor). Alternatively, I could be on the first floor and SO on the third. We would live a few miles away from civilization and have several cats.

Or I could live in my own house in a city with cats...

My ideal living arrangement in college is as follows: My best female friend ©, her boyfriend (A), my best male friend (B), two kittens and I in a four bedroom on campus apartment. This is unlikely to every work because A is stuck in a different city for a few years while he finishes his apprenticeship and B has too many propriety hang ups - "I have to live with two women who are not blood relations or my wife.?! No, no, can't do that." Plus, housing only allows people of the same gender to live together (because obviously promiscuous heterosexuals are the only people in the world and we can't have sex on a college campus!). So yeah, that one's not gonna work out. (And no, I did not try to apply the first letters of the alphabet in a random order - those are their actual initials).

To simplify: I would prefer to live with or near one other person who hugs me frequently and gives me plenty of alone time and I must live with at least one cat! The other details aren't too important. Oh, and I couldn't live with anymore than one other person. I could live with only cats, though...

Having friends who drop by periodically would be nice - if they call first.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's easy: I would like to live with somebody and possibly start a family, share my bed and my life with them, just not have sex! However, I would like my own space within the house, like an office or studio or something where I could go to be on my own and them not get offended that I might be avoiding them. So preferably somebody who appreciates time alone themselves.

I don't think that is tooooo much to ask.

Oh yeah, and they better like cats too.

I think my ideal living arrangement would be to live by myself, with cats, of course. I currently have 2, and that's perfect for me.

As I get older and look back on things, I would do better by myself. I dislike conflict, am naturally introverted, and prefer to socialize with people on MY terms.

I had roommates in college, but even the ones I got along bestest with, I felt, violate my privacy just by virtue of being there. I was happiest when I had a room all to myself :) Living with others in an apartment, with separate rooms was very nice. They respected my privacy, too, so that was really nice.

I like having neighbors who respect my privacy and don't stop by 1-3 times a day wanting something. If I'm in my apartment, by myself, chances are that's the way I want it at that moment in time. If I want to be social, I'll go be social. Then, I'll come home to my happy, quiet little place with my loving, affectionate kitties (that are more like dogs, in all actuality), and be as happy as a lark. Seriously.

• 1 month later...

I would like to be involved with a child-rearing collective. The way I envision it, there would be 3 or 4 of us (asexuas preferably) that would work together to collectively raise a child or two. We would be long-time friends who shared a common set of values, and were committed to raise the kid(s) regardless of what happened between us. I think this would give the kids the kind of support and variety of role models that i could not provide alone and it would also give me an intimate connection with these people that would hopefully endure.

We would ideally live in adjacent housing so that the kid could have any access to all of us at his/her will. I would want to have a couple house mates, but i feel like I'd like to have distinct space so the kid{s} could feel like they were able to get away.

I'm living with a couple now in an apartment and I enjoy it a lot. I like being in the common area so I can talk to them and just be in the same room with some other people sometimes when we're doing our work.

Chlirssa

Asexual polygamy. Be careful, Platonic Cuddle Mate #1 might say that she doesn't mind the existence of Platonic Cuddle Mate #4, but one morning you'll wake up to packed suitcases, the television on the lawn, and her packing The Kids You Will Never Have Without Sex But Maybe You Adopted into the station wagon for a trip to grandma and grandpa, and when is she coming home? Well, she just isn't sure.

As for me, I think I would like to live in some small apartment with a job that requires very little interaction with other humans, possibly with one other person who will tolerate me unconditionally and to whom I will extend the same favor (although this seems increasingly unlikely to happen). That, or a cult.

I feel like polyamory can really work, especially if the people involved express thought similar to what most people on this board have already: that they are not interested in having someone around all the time.

It seems that if the three of you like each other, then there will probably be someone around to spend time with when you want to, but none of you have the explicit obligation to spend a copious amount of time with any other one.

Has anyone here ever been in a polyamorous relationship? How did that work out for you?

Chlirissa

There are a few polyamorous or non-monogamous people here, chlirissa, myself included. I wouldn't say that I'm in a poly relationship, I guess, but I'm not in a monogamous relationship- and I'm very happy with this.

Also- I like your child-rearing idea. :)

Archived