An asexual fan comments on pseudo-Who.

Borrible Cal

Borrible Cal

Ran across this--http://andrewrilstone.blogspot.com/2006/06...sodes-4-10.html--today on LiveJournal and thought it was worth posting here.

Most of the post is probably not interesting to anyone except Doctor Who fen, but for those of us who are, I had to mention it, if only for this one line:

'[Russel T. Davies]'s prejudice against the asexual community'

After so long hearing the sneers and put-down and sniggers from the new-Who production team regarding the bare idea of the Doctor being an asexual figure, not to mention their wholesale appropriation of one of the miniscule number of really iconic figures the asexual community can lay claim to--

Well, it's nice to hear somebody call a spade a bloody shovel for once!

Yes, I know, I come back after some ungodly amount of time away, and the first things I do are rant and whinge. Typical! :D Will try to do better next time, and also to not go away for so long.

Borrible Cal.

I must admit that I am a fan of Doctor Who having watched it whilst growing up. He has always been a kind of role model for me. Asexual, intelligent, non-violent whenever possible. They are the kind of ideals I aspire to in myself. Plus I wanted to be Nyssa for awhile.

Obviously I am never going to save the planet, but their are lots of things we can do, to improve both our own personal world, and the envionment we live in.

It does irritate me slightly that the Doctor and Rose do seem to have a quasi sexual relationship, but I suppose in these sex obssessed media times, it was inevitable that any new series would take that route. It will be interesting to see what route the writers take with the Doctor's next companion, who seems inevitably will be white, British, under 25, and female.

Oh well.

All my love,

Kate

Lady Heartilly

I only saw the first season of the new series, where he kisses Rose at the end because she's going to die otherwise and I was like "Oh, well, that's okay. He only did it to save her." And then the other day, I went to a friend's graduation party, and he was burning Doctor Who DVDs for someone and played a few clips, and he was kissing her again in one of them and I was like "Gah? Again?" and someone at the party said "Oh, he does that a lot now . . . unfortunately. They seem to think they're dating."

Me: :shock: O_o :shock: O_o :shock: O_o

. . . WHAT?!

Archived