you've heard this before, but...

mala

...well, I just felt like sharing. I can whine about this elsewhere and people won't have much to say about it.

Every now and then, I tell someone about my asexualityl. So, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who's significantly older than me, and what slipped out of my mouth was, "I happen to consider myself somewhat asexual."

Her response disappointed me. "Well, that's perfectly fine," she said, "And there isn't a thing wrong with it...unless you decide later that you want children."

Well, it just so happens that I don't want children at all, but that's not the point.

Adoption, in vitro...

Other ways to have children besides sex :wink:

Adoption, in vitro...

It seems like such an obvious thing. I'm kind of floored that people actually think that asexuals can't have children. Oh well. I suppose it's just like the people I talk to who have it in their heads that gay people can't have children.
Adoption, in vitro...

It seems like such an obvious thing. I'm kind of floored that people actually think that asexuals can't have children. Oh well. I suppose it's just like the people I talk to who have it in their heads that gay people can't have children.

Wow.

they need some education...

Have you explained to them that you could (if you wanted to) have children?

deladangerous

Oh, I want children so badly, but I don't feel like having sex. What a predicament. If only my orientation were different. Woe.

Ahh, people.

Actually, it'd be fun to act all airhead and stupid, when they say "unless you decide you want children...." say something like "Why not?" and let THEM try to explain that they think there's only one way to have a baby.

And there are plenty of asexuals who won't mind having babies the traditional way, a small price to pay for the rewards they seek.

Have you explained to them that you could (if you wanted to) have children?
Well, we haven't discussed the asexuality issue since, but I do intend to try to shoot down the myths if there is to be a next time.
Eternal Winter
Actually, it'd be fun to act all airhead and stupid, when they say "unless you decide you want children...." say something like "Why not?" and let THEM try to explain that they think there's only one way to have a baby.

Heh. That would be hilarious! :twisted:

I, personally, don't want children. Haven't since I was 13, except for one 5-minute period when I was about 16, and I wondered what it might be like to have a baby with somebody I was friends with at the time. This was long before I discovered my asexuality, though I'll bet that if the two topics came up in conversation with somebody, they'd assume that because I'm asexual I don't want kids, or that because I don't want kids I've given myself this label.

What cijay said. Make them explain it :twisted:

Not desiring sex doesn't stop you from making the conscious decision to have procreative sex!

If you must have biological offspring, that is. Otherwise, adoption and fostering are perfectly viable (and more conscientious) options.

*mutters horrible things about IVF*

Shortass Lady

Is it possible that the person you were talking to doesn't quite know what asexuality means? It sounds as though they think that if you're asexual you'll have no ability to have sex ever.

Yeah I agree with Shortass Lady it sounds like they think it's a biological condition.

Is it possible that the person you were talking to doesn't quite know what asexuality means? It sounds as though they think that if you're asexual you'll have no ability to have sex ever.
You know, I really hadn't thought of that. Maybe she really hasn't read a definition or heard about it in-depth from someone. In that case, I really hope we get to talk about it again so I can elucidate things.

I'm really glad you said that because I hadn't thought of it on my own.

Or they might have thought about the biology-related definition, with asexual reproduction.

Maybe they thought you could bud and go through meiosis and stuff :D

Or they might have thought about the biology-related definition, with asexual reproduction.

Maybe they thought you could bud and go through meiosis and stuff :D

How hilarious would it be to try to keep a completely straight face and tell someone that about yourself? lol

I joke about that all the time! I'll tell people about the massive amounts of clones I have at home because I like budding too much :lol:

A clone army! Cool. :D

*briefly pictures a clne army of himelf*

*shakes his head* Nah, wouldn't work. The collection of madness would cause that segment of the universe to split off into a self-contained pocket dimension of pure insanity.

Well if I did that the world would be a much hippier place!!

Wolf X Omega

Well, That was stupid, mainly because asexuals can adopt or make... uh... those things when you take the semen and the ovum and put them back into the woman, there are many ways of having children without having sex, so anyway, I hope to have children one day, through adoption or not.

those things when you take the semen and the ovum and put them back into the woman.

That's in vitro fertilization.

Right? icon_sweatdrop.gif

Wolf X Omega

Yeah, i think that's the name my biology teacher said, at least that's what i recall.

Archived