Aces in the Media

Bri is Me

Bri is Me

Hey All!

I have a friend who's working on a school project, trying to raise awareness about LGBTQ+ representation and misrepresentation (and underrepresentation) in the media.  Since there aren’t many of us Aces out there to help bust all the myths about asexuality, I thought I’d recruit the people of AVEN!  If you want to help out with this project, you can go to @RepLGBT on Twitter and respond to the Tweet below with a stereotype about asexuality that needs to be broken.  (Also, feel free to follow, like, and retweet!))

Thanks,

Bri

element83

I feel like the biggest thing about asexuality in the media is probably the idea that asexuals don't exist.  They're so rarely talked about, that there's often not other media messages.

Bronztrooper

There's also the assumption that asexuals were abused, assuming that asexuals can't feel love (which I've never understood), assuming that asexuals just 'haven't tried it' or 'haven't had a good partner' if they have, and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head atm.

patronusmagic

Then of course there´s that damn House episode, that shall not be named. Talk about missrepresentation. <_<

Bronztrooper
8 minutes ago, patronusmagic said:

Then of course there´s that damn House episode, that shall not be named. Talk about missrepresentation. <_<

Well, now I'm curious

patronusmagic
4 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

Well, now I'm curious

just google House Asexual episode, and get ready to be pissed off. :angry:

Bronztrooper
5 minutes ago, patronusmagic said:

just google House Asexual episode, and get ready to be pissed off. :angry:

Just read an article on it.

Yeah, that's pretty damn ridiculous.  But then, it's Fox, so I can't say that I'm surprised <_<

patronusmagic
6 minutes ago, Bronztrooper said:

Just read an article on it.

Yeah, that's pretty damn ridiculous.  But then, it's Fox, so I can't say that I'm surprised <_<

"Everybody wants sex, - the ones that don´t are either sick - or lying." Gee, thanks doctor, that´s just what we needed to hear. <_<

49 minutes ago, patronusmagic said:

What are you doing? We do not speak of this. 🤫 It never happened.

If we don’t tell anyone eventually they’ll forget. Then we have one less problem. Shhhhh :P 

Looking for a name

The media doesn't want to admit asexual exist 

Bronztrooper
5 minutes ago, Looking for a name said:

The media doesn't want to admit asexual exist 

Same could be said about a lot of sexuals out there

• 3 weeks later...
DoYouUnderstand

"You're male (their words), so you can't be asexual because men NEED sex" is probably my least favorite asexual stereotype.

• 1 month later...
TheCakeIsNotALie

Hi there. I made a thing. I am a young chaotic neutral asexual aro/biro/panro lost girl tryna make ace waves on TV one day. Def looking to collaborate if you like what chu see. Check it out: 

Archived