I can't believe I'm telling you this...

CirothUngol

CirothUngol

You know guys, you're all so super sweet with the welcome cakes and everything... I totally love the idea as it instantly makes people feel at home... and, you know, hungry for cake... and I certainly don't wish to sound unappreciative at all, because I'm not... I really do like it, somewhat... cake I mean... but I'm afraid that I need to make an embarrassing admission to everyone here at the AVEN forums...

I LIKE PIE.

There! I said it!

It's not that I don't like cake, I do if it's moist and isn't cloyed with heavy icing, but I have just always preferred pie. Especially fruit pies and custards... aw, who am I kidding? I like ALL pies! Here, check it out, the best fruit pie ever made... Strawberry-Rhubarb!

strawberryrhubarb_main1.jpg

Yum! ^_^

element83

Mmmmm. I also prefer pies.  :)  Especially lemon meringue.

CirothUngol

Ahhh, custard (or curd, if yer English)... now you're talkin'!

Skip the meringue and replace with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Oh no, I might have to go buy one! ^_^

Muir Caileag

Yaaas, gimme a pecan or blackberry pie any day! Although, I think I actually prefer tarts to pie. Not sure where I stand with cakes, some are amazing and some just aren't!

@CirothUngol You defo have the right idea, pie and whipped cream :wub:

IrishArcher

I'll have to admit, I'm very particular about my cakes. I will take pie any day over a store bought cake. If I'm going to eat cake, it has to be homemade or bakery-made from scratch, with homemade icing as well. Pie, I think, is much harder to ruin.

CirothUngol

ooo, Blackberry! Good choice, as long as it's de-seeded.

TartS? YUM! My Nonnie (grandmother) used to make Boysenberry Tarts. They're seedless berries that grow on large shade trees is southern US.

She was Cajun, don'tcha know.

Muir Caileag

Literally I'm really picky too! I hate sheet icing, marzipan- so any icing has got to be buttercream or gnache or something similar. Also I hate fruitcake with an actual burning passion!!! Raisins are great, but have no place in a cake! I prefer cakes baked with almond flour, I hate how dry wheat flour based cakes can get! And sometimes the cream in the middle of the cake is just not enough moisture to counteract the dryness of the cake. 

Pies are just so much easier :lol:

CirothUngol
2 minutes ago, IrishArcher said:

Pie, I think, is much harder to ruin.

True. Pie is much more forgiving, and easier to boot!

I prefer whipped icing or maybe a soft butter-cream on cakes, but a nice hot glaze is even better.

Best cakes I've ever tasted didn't even have a frosting or a glaze! Look up Kentucky Butter Cake, my sister's specialty!

CirothUngol

Gnache? Yes, I forgot about that stuff, it's yummy!

Always had it as a filling in between the layers, but I could imagine just dunking it in the stuff!

...I wonder how stiff gnache would have to be to make a nice pie? ^_^

Muir Caileag

@CirothUngol I can just imagine dunking aanything into a huge pan of melted white chocolate, that would be absolutely gorgeous. 

I don't eat much pie but I do like Hostess fruit pies.These are little pie crust pockets with filling on the inside. I take a nip out of one end and as the thing is only half full (empty?) I can fill the rest with a can of whipped cream. This is an aerosol can and in America one can get just about anything in an aerosol can. Even cheese, although the French think this is patently insane. I do eat cake - cheesecake. I make tiny ones in the microwave and top them with jam. I'd make larger ones in the oven but it died of a mouse infection years ago. I suppose I'm one of the few people on earth that likes fruit cake. That's what makes it so hard to find around Christmas. Useful and delicious. If it dries out it makes a good door stop.

CirothUngol

I actually prefer dark chocolate gnache, bitter-sweet, even. Yum!

4 minutes ago, Carson:) said:

BANNED

Oh Noes! I just knew this was gonna be trouble!

CirothUngol

I like the hostess+EZ Whip idea! Gotta remember that...

Of course, we both know that cheesecake is actually pie, a custard in fact, and that's why It's your favorite cake!

A good fruit cake is sublime. No gummy bears or candy bits. Ick. Real dried fruit compote hydrated and fermented for months before making the cake... and the best ones are kinda booze-soaked. ^_^

I like cake, but not icing really. I'd always pick it off. I'd always would prefer ice cream cake or pudding. Pie is really good, especially with ice cream. Yeah, I like cake, but it's not exactly my first choice... 

Now I'm craving for some apple pie and vanilla ice cream~~

Image result for apple crumb pieI make awesome apple crumb pie :D

Hahahaha I never thought the non-cake-lovers would come clean here on AVEN! I've caught you all now!!

Just kidding though, I am one of you, pie is the best. I used to hate cake because imo, ice cream is much better, though now I am an equal opportunity dessert fan. I recently discovered the existence of the "piecaken", so apparently we can have the best of both worlds:

1463592512072.jpeg

I have no idea how to go about making one of these, but I really really want to try one...

Duke Memphis

I believe that cheesecake is actually a pie. The main part of it is more of a filling than a bready substance, and cheesecake comes with a crust. Also, frosting is usually not put on a cheesecake.

Might as well call it cheesepie.

*gasp*

Lol, there's nothing wrong with liking pie! I like both.

32 minutes ago, smittyw said:

Hahahaha I never thought the non-cake-lovers would come clean here on AVEN! I've caught you all now!!

Just kidding though, I am one of you, pie is the best. I used to hate cake because imo, ice cream is much better, though now I am an equal opportunity dessert fan. I recently discovered the existence of the "piecaken", so apparently we can have the best of both worlds:

1463592512072.jpeg

I have no idea how to go about making one of these, but I really really want to try one...

OMG. O___O

CirothUngol

Yup, cheesecake is nothing but a custard pie in disguise, a true imposter... and all the better for it! ^_^

@Evren Apple Crumb Pie with Vanilla ice cream?! mmm... that looks heavenly. Apple really is the Grand Poo-bah of fruit pies.

@smittyw Whaaa...? *blink* *blink* Well, now I've seen everything! I don't know if I should Laugh or cry!

The Pennsylvania Dutch where total masters of the custard pie. My mother's Amish Buttermilk Pie is sublime and literally contains only butter, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, and a dusting of 2-3 Tbls of flour... into a perfect custard. Amazing.

Shoofly pie is similar, but made with molasses. Often eaten for breakfast with strong black coffee.

food271398958767.jpg?uuid=zK9NAtFGEeOnFL

CirothUngol

No worries man, Pie is the dessert that unifies!

OK, super secret time. Here' the easiest pie recipe I know:

1 8oz block cream (or neufchatel) cheese

1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk

1/3 cup bottled lemon juice (1/2 cup fresh)

Mix ingredients, pour in graham cracker crust, refrigerate. Sets in ~2hrs

Top with whipped cream, canned pie filling, or eat plain. It's Yummy!

8 hours ago, element83 said:

Mmmmm. I also prefer pies.  :)  Especially lemon meringue.

I prefer pies, too.

Muir Caileag
5 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

I believe that cheesecake is actually a pie. The main part of it is more of a filling than a bready substance, and cheesecake comes with a crust. Also, frosting is usually not put on a cheesecake.

Might as well call it cheesepie.

I had never considered that cheesecake may be more pie than cake. Maybe that's why I like cheesecake so much :lol:

7 hours ago, smittyw said:

1463592512072.jpeg

They just did a Worth It video on that stuff. The cooks made cake batter and then tipped the precooked? pies upside down into the cake batter and put the whole thing in the oven,

knittinghistorian

Did you ever watch "Pushing Daisies"?  There is a plethora of pie!

Also, hello fellow Gulf Coaster!

So I opened this thread, expecting to read a very personal life story about someone's journey to discovery and now... pies.

Looks like you already made yourself a home on AVEN :) Welcome and have some more pie:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7Igd65ldFSZsgxe45hcc

CirothUngol

@knittinghistorian Aw man, you live in this weather too? I've been here all my life, but we really gotta get somewhere that isn't so humid and melt-your-face-off hot! I hear Canada is nice this time of the year. Mmm... moose burgers.

Is that your kitty? Cute! Love the nose. ^_^

@Homer Plenty of time for self discovery, still letting the newness of the knowledge sink in. I was writing a little last night, but I just really needed to get that pie thing off my chest!

Seriously though... thanks. It's nice to know someone will read it.

knittinghistorian
18 hours ago, CirothUngol said:

@knittinghistorian Aw man, you live in this weather too? I've been here all my life, but we really gotta get somewhere that isn't so humid and melt-your-face-off hot! I hear Canada is nice this time of the year. Mmm... moose burgers.

Is that your kitty? Cute! Love the nose. ^_^

Yes, what I call the “devil’s armpit weather” has truly begun! I live in Corpus Christi, and it’s so STICKY today! Not even that hot, just STICKY.

She’s my parents’ cat. She used to be mine, but she decided to adopt my parents instead. What can you do...

Claire1983

Both have their place... in my belly! 

Im pan-sexual.  Cake pans, pie pans, sauce pans, frying pans. All pans make delicious food!

Archived