Must see movies!

purpleandgreylife

purpleandgreylife
2 minutes ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

Its not a comfortable viewing but is rather demanding. 

@ABryonJ.maybe That makes me curious, why do you like it? Or, what do you like about it (cinematography, acting, etc)?

2 hours ago, Princess Merida said:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Personally, I think it's a good motivational movie that shows the importance of living life to the full and that things can always get better.

The newer version or the older one staring Danny Kaye? (I like the older one)

1 hour ago, WobblyWallaby said:

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

Just beware - Mickey Rooney's portrayal of a Japanese man is very cringey.

I love old movies; I'd recommend almost any/every Bogart movie - Treasure of the Sierra Madre, African Queen, Maltese Falcon, etc.

Several Cary Grant movies - Charade, To Catch a Thief, Bringing up Baby, etc.

purpleandgreylife
Just now, daveb said:

The newer version or the older one staring Danny Kaye? (I like the older one)

Just beware - Mickey Rooney's portrayal of a Japanese man is very cringey.

I love old movies; I'd recommend almost any/every Bogart movie - Treasure of the Sierra Madre, African Queen, Maltese Falcon, etc.

Several Cary Grant movies - Charade, To Catch a Thief, Bringing up Baby, etc.

@daveb I am more than prepared for the  stereotypical portrayals featured in older movies. It is cringey. However, it also tells quite a deep story about the way other cultures were perceived and portrayed by media at that time and allows us to look back and see not only how far we have come in terms of progress, but also how much work we still have to do.

But I digress...I also am interested in Audrey Hepburn. Any films of hers that you recommend? Or any other classic Hollywood recommendations?

I like it because it takes common situations and gives them just a little twist and by making them bizzare shows just how unique everyday life is. It is a magnificent example of how sound design can really change the way a film perceived. And it is really a testament to how one person can through force of will make a dream come true for themselves, like director David Lynch did for this film.

Roman Holiday with Audrey and Gregory Peck is a great film, excellent testament to post war Italy!

1 minute ago, purpleandgreylife said:

I also am interested in Audrey Hepburn. Any films of hers that you recommend?

I like Roman Holiday. And she is in Charade with Cary Grant.

purpleandgreylife
2 minutes ago, ABryonJ.maybe said:

I like it because it takes common situations and gives them just a little twist and by making them bizzare shows just how unique everyday life is. It is a magnificent example of how sound design can really change the way a film perceived. And it is really a testament to how one person can through force of will make a dream come true for themselves, like director David Lynch did for this film.

Roman Holiday with Audrey and Gregory Peck is a great film, excellent testament to post war Italy!

@ABryonJ.maybe That is a really compelling point. I will check it out! Also, yes to Roman Holiday. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to watch it!

1 hour ago, purpleandgreylife said:

@Dj91 I definitely want to see The Godfather. You mention 1 and 2, but aren't there 3? If so, do you recommend against the third one and why?

Also, I've heard about Silence of the Lambs, but I haven't seen it. What are the themes of the film? Generally, I mean.

There are 3 godfather films. The third is still a good film but the first two are a long way above it. If you watch the first two and really enjoy them you may as well finish the trilogy but I don't think it is as good. 

Silence of the lambs is a very dark film I'm not sure how to describe it. It has strong themes of violence and gore and also quite a lot of sexual themes. A lot of the themes are shown through talking more than anything but there are still gruesome parts to the film. It is a great film if you are ok with stuff like that though. 

BessTheLandlordsDaughter

Arsenic and Old Lace - Black and White comedy with Cary Grant

Brick - Neo-noir mystery with young Joseph Gordon-Levitt

13th Warrior - action adventure with 90's Antonio Banderas as an Arab helping out a band of Vikings

The Losers - modern action movie of a military team screwed over by a mysterious CIA guy that they need to hunt down. Kinda like the A Team but waaaay better in my humble opinion. Great cast with Idris Elba, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Chris Evans.

3 Iron - Korean drama/romance by Ki-duk Kim about a guy who breaks into people's houses and politely squats there for a few days accidentally picks a house where a reclusive woman is actually home and they end up falling in love whilst never exchanging a word. 

Christmas in Connecticut - Black and White Christmas movie with Barbara Stanwyck which is my absolute favorite holiday movie which I think you can watch anytime

There are tons of great movies in the world but these are six that I feel like most people haven't heard of or seen and that's a shame.

blunose2772
6 hours ago, purpleandgreylife said:

@Dj91 I definitely want to see The Godfather. You mention 1 and 2, but aren't there 3? If so, do you recommend against the third one and why?

Also, I've heard about Silence of the Lambs, but I haven't seen it. What are the themes of the film? Generally, I mean.

The best way to describe Silence Of The Lambs would be it uses one Psychopath to hunt down another Psychopath. 

purpleandgreylife
21 hours ago, Dj91 said:

There are 3 godfather films. The third is still a good film but the first two are a long way above it. If you watch the first two and really enjoy them you may as well finish the trilogy but I don't think it is as good. 

Silence of the lambs is a very dark film I'm not sure how to describe it. It has strong themes of violence and gore and also quite a lot of sexual themes. A lot of the themes are shown through talking more than anything but there are still gruesome parts to the film. It is a great film if you are ok with stuff like that though. 

@Dj91 I see what you are saying about the Godfather films. I would watch all three, if for nothing else than for the closure in the conclusion of the third movie.

I don't think I will watch Silence of the Lambs though. I'm not really comfortable with those themes.

purpleandgreylife
16 hours ago, BessTheLandlordsDaughter said:

Arsenic and Old Lace - Black and White comedy with Cary Grant

Brick - Neo-noir mystery with young Joseph Gordon-Levitt

13th Warrior - action adventure with 90's Antonio Banderas as an Arab helping out a band of Vikings

The Losers - modern action movie of a military team screwed over by a mysterious CIA guy that they need to hunt down. Kinda like the A Team but waaaay better in my humble opinion. Great cast with Idris Elba, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Chris Evans.

3 Iron - Korean drama/romance by Ki-duk Kim about a guy who breaks into people's houses and politely squats there for a few days accidentally picks a house where a reclusive woman is actually home and they end up falling in love whilst never exchanging a word. 

Christmas in Connecticut - Black and White Christmas movie with Barbara Stanwyck which is my absolute favorite holiday movie which I think you can watch anytime

There are tons of great movies in the world but these are six that I feel like most people haven't heard of or seen and that's a shame.

@BessTheLandlordsDaughter Thank you for sharing some of your favorites! This sounds like an interesting and diverse list of films. I have a few questions though.

In 3 Iron - the guy breaks into houses that he knows aren't occupied or are people home? Do the people ever find out he broke into their homes? When he falls in love with the recluse, are either or them mute that they never say a word to each other, or is this a silent film?

Brick - I've never heard the term "Neo-noir" can you please explain to me what that means? How do I recognize that genre when I see it?

Thank you again for sharing!

purpleandgreylife
16 hours ago, blunose2772 said:

The best way to describe Silence Of The Lambs would be it uses one Psychopath to hunt down another Psychopath. 

@blunose2772 That sounds disturbing.

Agree - the Godfather films, Citizen Kane, Green Mile, Shawshank, etc -- all very good movies :)  

I'd add A Beautiful Mind, Schindler's List, Gone with the WInd (of course), and Top Hat (Astaire & Rogers).

Also ...

The Money Pit (1986)  :D 

purpleandgreylife
44 minutes ago, LilyG said:

Agree - the Godfather films, Citizen Kane, Green Mile, Shawshank, etc -- all very good movies :)  

I'd add A Beautiful Mind, Schindler's List, Gone with the WInd (of course), and Top Hat (Astaire & Rogers).

@LilyG Thank you for your suggestions! Do you have any other Astaire recommendations? Or Rogers?

purpleandgreylife
25 minutes ago, LilyG said:

Also ...

The Money Pit (1986)  :D 

@LilyG Is that a comedy? I think I've heard of it before. Nothing detailed just maybe heard the name before.

Swing Time & Shall We Dance (Astaire & Rogers).  Also, Holiday Inn (Fred Astaire & Bing Crosby).

And yes, The Money Pit is a comedy.  I have seen it a few times and it still makes me laugh  :) 

purpleandgreylife
2 minutes ago, LilyG said:

Swing Time & Shall We Dance (Astaire & Rogers).  Also, Holiday Inn (Fred Astaire & Bing Crosby).

And yes, The Money Pit is a comedy.  I have seen it a few times and it still makes me laugh  :) 

@LilyG That sounds good! I always like a musical/dance movie and I really like Fred Astaire's moves! Also, I love a good comedy! The serious/dramatic stuff can be really good and interesting, but sometimes it's necessary to have a good laugh!

blunose2772
3 hours ago, purpleandgreylife said:

@blunose2772 That sounds disturbing.

It is, yet fascinating at the same time

BessTheLandlordsDaughter
8 hours ago, purpleandgreylife said:

@BessTheLandlordsDaughter Thank you for sharing some of your favorites! This sounds like an interesting and diverse list of films. I have a few questions though.

In 3 Iron - the guy breaks into houses that he knows aren't occupied or are people home? Do the people ever find out he broke into their homes? When he falls in love with the recluse, are either or them mute that they never say a word to each other, or is this a silent film?

Brick - I've never heard the term "Neo-noir" can you please explain to me what that means? How do I recognize that genre when I see it?

Thank you again for sharing!

3 Iron - He chooses houses that are empty. He mistakenly thinks that the lady's house is empty because he sees her grumpy husband leave for a trip and she doesn't even check the mail. It's never explained exactly why he never speaks. The lady has two or three lines in the whole movie so you know she can speak but mostly chooses not to.

Brick - It's generally accepted but occasionally argued that Neo-Noir movies ares modern films that echo the themes or aesthetics of a film period in the 1940's called Noir. These movies are where the cinematic concepts of the Hard-boiled Detective and Femme Fatale come from. They usually involved crime and intrigue of some sort.  The movie Brick itself involves Joseph Gordon-Levitt trying to solve the his ex- girlfriend's murder and whatever trouble she got herself into that lead to it.

purpleandgreylife
4 minutes ago, BessTheLandlordsDaughter said:

3 Iron - He chooses houses that are empty. He mistakenly thinks that the lady's house is empty because he sees her grumpy husband leave for a trip and she doesn't even check the mail. It's never explained exactly why he never speaks. The lady has two or three lines in the whole movie so you know she can speak but mostly chooses not to.

Brick - It's generally accepted but occasionally argued that Neo-Noir movies ares modern films that echo the themes or aesthetics of a film period in the 1940's called Noir. These movies are where the cinematic concepts of the Hard-boiled Detective and Femme Fatale come from. They usually involved crime and intrigue of some sort.  The movie Brick itself involves Joseph Gordon-Levitt trying to solve the his ex- girlfriend's murder and whatever trouble she got herself into that lead to it.

@BessTheLandlordsDaughter Thank you for explaining everything. Both of these sound like movies that I would be interested in checking out.

My favorite movie of all time is definitely The Dark Knight. Besides the fact that I love Batman, it was just beautifully directed and has you on the edge of your seat throughout. It's also one of those movies where it really makes you pay attention; you easily have to watch it more than once to get all the hints and details about the main plot point.

Another one I like is The Edge of Seventeen. It deserved more recognition than it got when it was released, but it could become a cult classic as the years go on!

If you're looking for more of an indie/non-mainstream film, I'd recommend Ten Thousand Saints. It wasn't critically acclaimed, but I still liked it. It was one of those cases where if it was longer, it could have improved the overall feel of the film.

Children of Men. Good grief that movie didn't hold back any punches. It's an emotional trainwreck from start to end. Attention to detail was fantastic and it was often surreal as music was absent for many sections, and sections that did have music only added to the impact.

Speaking of music, No Country for Old Men had no music. Different style of filming, very important to listen and watch for details. Main villain was grade A spooky.

V for Vendetta. Barring the butchered comic origins, and the le-edgy crowds that spawned from it, I always appreciated the movie as a standalone. It's messages are still powerful.

Hacksaw Ridge. Doesn't hold back any punches as a war movie. What makes it so great is that it's a true story. And the liberties taken with the true story were to actually make it believable as the man it's centered around did things that were unbelievable. A lot of "true story" movies often take liberties in their telling, spicing things up for cinema. I don't believe this movie did. Mel Gibson, who directed it, was a stickler for the real details.

Ip Man. The story of Bruce Lee's mentor. A little bit furbished, but god damn is that choreography fucking fantastic. The movie spawned a series of movies. I think once you get past the second one it goes a little downhill. Second one was still pretty solid though. It was an interesting look into Chinese culture for me.

paperbackreader
On 4/28/2018 at 6:18 PM, MaeveTheRaven said:

@purpleandgreylife No-no, it's steampunk. Kind of the victorian equivalent of cyberpunk, I guess. People are indeed fighting against misuse of technology, in a sense.

Here's a trailer:

Didnt realise they made a film, thanks! The Moist von Ludwig arcs are some of my favourites. 

People have already nominated some of my all time favourites but What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind deserves a mention. Trash (Brazilian film) made me wistful. I was annoyed that the lady from Transamerica didn't win an Oscar. More recently, Baby Driver (that opening sequence is such a work of art)! 

purpleandgreylife
11 hours ago, Shay21 said:

My favorite movie of all time is definitely The Dark Knight. Besides the fact that I love Batman, it was just beautifully directed and has you on the edge of your seat throughout. It's also one of those movies where it really makes you pay attention; you easily have to watch it more than once to get all the hints and details about the main plot point.

Another one I like is The Edge of Seventeen. It deserved more recognition than it got when it was released, but it could become a cult classic as the years go on!

If you're looking for more of an indie/non-mainstream film, I'd recommend Ten Thousand Saints. It wasn't critically acclaimed, but I still liked it. It was one of those cases where if it was longer, it could have improved the overall feel of the film.

@Shay21 Thank you for your recommendations! You give really good, detailed responses. I'm not huge on Batman, but I have nothing against it. I think I will check it out. Are there any other Batman movies to watch before this one, to place context or does it pretty much stand on its own?

I've heard of The Edge of Seventeen, but I'm not really sure what it's about. Can you please give a little, non-spoiler, overview? Maybe even just the genre and tone of the movie?

I do like some indie films, so I am inclined to check out Ten Thousand Saints. Again, can you please give a little more detail about the tone and genre of the film?

These all sound like really interesting movies. Thanks again for your recommendations!

purpleandgreylife
7 hours ago, E is for E said:

Children of Men. Good grief that movie didn't hold back any punches. It's an emotional trainwreck from start to end. Attention to detail was fantastic and it was often surreal as music was absent for many sections, and sections that did have music only added to the impact.

Speaking of music, No Country for Old Men had no music. Different style of filming, very important to listen and watch for details. Main villain was grade A spooky.

V for Vendetta. Barring the butchered comic origins, and the le-edgy crowds that spawned from it, I always appreciated the movie as a standalone. It's messages are still powerful.

Hacksaw Ridge. Doesn't hold back any punches as a war movie. What makes it so great is that it's a true story. And the liberties taken with the true story were to actually make it believable as the man it's centered around did things that were unbelievable. A lot of "true story" movies often take liberties in their telling, spicing things up for cinema. I don't believe this movie did. Mel Gibson, who directed it, was a stickler for the real details.

Ip Man. The story of Bruce Lee's mentor. A little bit furbished, but god damn is that choreography fucking fantastic. The movie spawned a series of movies. I think once you get past the second one it goes a little downhill. Second one was still pretty solid though. It was an interesting look into Chinese culture for me.

@E is for E Thank you for your recommendations! I also have some questions about some of the movies you mentioned:

Children of Men - Can you please give me a little more detail about what the film is about? It sounds interestingly executed. Is it an "emotional train-wreck" in terms of the context of the movie, or how the viewer may feel taking in the movie?

No Country for Old Men - Wasn't this kind of like a folk mystery movie? Set in the country? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

V for Vendetta - You said the movie butchered the comic book origins; what comic book did this movie originate from? Also, I take it you've read the comic book. Do you think it's better to read the comic book the movie was based on before or after seeing the movie?

Ip Man - First and foremost, I love well choreographed martial arts movies. House of Flying Daggers was absolutely beautiful. Also, you said that "once you get past the second one it goes a little downhill." Does that mean that this movie has a sequel? If so, how many sequels were made? Do you think the second one is worth watching?

purpleandgreylife
6 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

Didnt realise they made a film, thanks! The Moist von Ludwig arcs are some of my favourites. 

People have already nominated some of my all time favourites but What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind deserves a mention. Trash (Brazilian film) made me wistful. I was annoyed that the lady from Transamerica didn't win an Oscar. More recently, Baby Driver (that opening sequence is such a work of art)! 

@paperbackreader I also really like What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I saw it in theaters when it first came out, and I think I still have a VHS copy of the movie. It's so interesting to watch and realized that that was a young Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp. 

Eternal Sunshine was a bit too surreal for me to watch, if I recall correctly. It was filmed in the same vein as Momento, right? With the non-linear storytelling and repetition of the same event with small tweaks?

Do you recommend the movie Trash or Transamerica? I couldn't tell if you were recommending them or commenting on your emotional reaction to them.

Also, I hadn't really heard too much about baby driver (I don't watch enough TV on TV to see the trailers repeatedly) but I was interested in what I did see.

Thank you for your recommendations!

purpleandgreylife
On 4/28/2018 at 12:18 PM, MaeveTheRaven said:

@purpleandgreylife No-no, it's steampunk. Kind of the victorian equivalent of cyberpunk, I guess. People are indeed fighting against misuse of technology, in a sense.

Here's a trailer:

@MaeveTheRaven I just checked out the trailer for this movie, and yes! I will be watching this movie! It's like e-mail versus traditional mail. The fact that it was released in 2010 only makes it a more interesting topic. In 2010 people were just beginning to scratch the surface of technology versus traditional methods. But I digress...Thank you for your recommendation!

I have a soft spot for underrated movies with great story lines and acting.

- Running Scared (If you like mobster flicks, that is). One of the best I have seen. Shamefully slept on at the box office due to the cast, but was critically acclaimed afterwards.

-Little miss sunshine. It's a feel good story, but they do it without being corny, and being a riot throughout. Was surprisingly good.

-Train to Busan. This one is a Korean movie. If you can get over the subtitles, this is a must watch. You can get it dubbed in English, but it's not the same. In my opinion, is a must have for anyone with a zombie flick collection. I believe there is an American remake for this one but the rawness of the acting in this one would blow it out of the water.

-Strangers with Candy. I'm biased. I love Amy Sedaris' work. Those not familiar with her--shes basically a female version of Robin Williams (you have to see her interviews to appreciate her humor). She's hilarious.

Archived