Just another thing I never understood.

VariousMild

VariousMild

What the heck is up with hickies? What is the purpose behind that? I'm sure I'm not the only asexual that is baffled by this one. A friend of mine at work often brags about how a girl once spelled her name on his back in hickies, everytime he tells me this I don't know what the hell to say I feel like he's expecting me to congratulate him or somethin but I think it's insane.

:lol: Yeah, I must admit I've never understood hickies either. Ah well, to each his/her own.

I always figured it was like applying a brand to cattle. It says: "This one is MINE."

Why any sane person would think that being owned and branded like a farm animal is a GOOD thing is beyond me, though.

-Greybird

he probably just bragging that hes got girls eager to get under his shirt, so hes saying hes a ladies man or something like that

Hickies, hickies...*checks wikipedia*...I...see... ...leeches huh...

Dimethyl Mercury

Oh man, broken capillaries... that's hot as hell :roll:

:lol:

Brodertun

Having once given a sexual guy hickies during the sex act (hey, I had to do something), I think I can elucidate on this a little bit.

He told me that while I sucking on his shoulder, he wasn't feeling it on his shoulder, but down below in that organ that guys have and females don't.

hyperfine
I always figured it was like applying a brand to cattle. It says: "This one is MINE."

Why any sane person would think that being owned and branded like a farm animal is a GOOD thing is beyond me, though.

-Greybird

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I am always completley baffled when people try to show off their hickies to me. Which mercifully doesn't happen often.

planetcutie

We call them 'love bites' here in the UK. I've yet to figure out the connection between romance and minor bruising, myself. :roll:

I don't get it... maybe it's a way to show everybody they're doing something sexual, which only makes it more strange in my opinion; shouldn't it be a private thing? I don't mean it in the religious shame sort of way, but people are always talking about trust, love and respect when they want to say good things about sex, so why would anyone want to show everyone evidence of what they've been doing? Shouldn't it be something really intimate that's just between the people involved?

mouth brooder

I think AAA explained it--at least in a way that finally made sense to me.

Mental sense I should say, because considering my lack of responsiveness, I wouldn't sense it in the other way.

Wineblood

A friend of mine had a few once. I get the feeling it's more of an intimacy thing than sexual.

Neurovore

If some people are so big on hickies, then why do they not attach a leech or a lamprey to themselves?

Man, I don't understand hickies either. At the same time, I've never actually seen one (or seen it and realised it for what it is). My friends, if they ever did get a hickey, and I'm guessing it must have happened, didn't parade them around. That kind of thing wasn't something that my friends would talk about.

But yeah, I don't hugely see the point (apart from it being something else to do). And really, really do not want one (giving one so that they have to walk around with a huge, telling bruise on their neck when they're starting a new job, however? Heh, yeah, I'd go for that).

However, to each their own! Clearly people don't see them as being 'branded' (although I can understand the reasoning) or being sucked by leeches, or else they wouldn't do it. Unless they're into that kind of thing, of course. *g*

LostPenguin
He told me that while I sucking on his shoulder, he wasn't feeling it on his shoulder, but down below in that organ that guys have and females don't.

...Oh... good god... I'm having miserable, painful flashbacks to Anne Rice... *violent shudders* *thrashes around under the desk*

....alright, back to normal.

We call them 'love bites' here in the UK. I've yet to figure out the connection between romance and minor bruising, myself.

That's odd to me. I don't mind the idea of love bites- but when I think of delivering a love bite, it'd be something like a playful, non-painful nip, not a CHOMPIKEELJ00WITHMYTEEF sort of thing. I do not understand and probably never will understand the purpose of sucking on someone's skin hard enough that you burst the capillaries. And that's not even an asexual thing for me. I just don't get it. It inflicts pain, and things you have to hide from the general public. Why would you do it? If you want to 'mark' your person, give them something... and insist upon them wearing it.. or chase them around all the time... but... eesh. Punch them in the shoulder. Ooh, a bruise. Ya marked 'em. How's that different? :roll:

SpirallingSnowy

Well my sexual friends give each other hickeys and they arnt even dating or having sex or anything.... they do it cos it annoys the other person, and each one is trying to prove something, and the more bruised it looks, they better it is apparently...

as for ones involved in a sex act, theres a certain level of pain certain people can tolerate... and aparently its a nice sensation on skin.... but yeah... hope that helps you guys....

crazyjerseygirl

guy gave my one of those once...

I kinda punched him after that....wasnt too keen on being bruised and had told him so. Really, when a guy asks if he can kiss you and then naws at you like a stub-fanged vampyre...is that romantic?

yeah...that relationship didnt last long

TTFN

Renee'

LonePiper

In some cultures it's normal, in the middle of "the act", to bite off and spit out your partner's eyebrow hair :shock:

Hickies are not an inherent thing in the human psyche to be enjoyed but just something we've adopted into our culture like the eyebrow thing.

It's just a mark that you've "gotten lucky". Some people like to parade those kinds of things :roll:

dearest liar

I've never gotten them on purpose, so I couldn't even possibly begin to assign some greater meaning to hickies--well, except that some people do like to parade them around like a trophy. I always thought they were kind of embarrassing and tried to hide them. The problem was the only part of "making out" I actually enjoyed was attention to my neck (def. moreso than kissing), and all my bf had to do was nibble a little for a great big bruise to show.

So, turns out I hickey easily. Can't win 'em all.

But no, really no purpose to them, or anything to understand about them. They're just... there.

I was 20 before I even knew what one was.

I've never gotten them on purpose, so I couldn't even possibly begin to assign some greater meaning to hickies--well, except that some people do like to parade them around like a trophy. I always thought they were kind of embarrassing and tried to hide them. The problem was the only part of "making out" I actually enjoyed was attention to my neck (def. moreso than kissing), and all my bf had to do was nibble a little for a great big bruise to show.

I'm the same way. I had a bf who liked biting people, and the attention to my neck was the only thing I really enjoyed. I was rather pissy about having to find a way to cover my neck for a week, though, so I have no idea why people brag about them.

Archived