Marrow

Exploiting characters sex  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make sexual content of your OC for money

• Yeah
    • Nah
    • Some weird middle ground

This poll is closed to new votes

So recently a artist that a watch (they're not on here, but I'm keeping them censored anyways) has begun drawing sexy scenes involving their characters for money; the images have nothing to do with the original work. I was just curious if others would do the same or not....or be a fence sitter about it. 

I have a cartoony style for my drawing anyway (and I've done a few pieces of NSFW fanart a few years back) but..eh... I'm soo ace it's nothing on the scale of what creeps into some fandom tags on tumblr where it can get rather... explicit.

On that note, for OC's.. I just think about whether the characters involved themselves would feel about it. I know my ace OC would be punching me in the face for it if I ever did that. But then I have her sister who's more hetero and into the idea of sex... *sigh*  

Nope.

The weird reasoning:

When I allow people to take a glimpse into the life of an OC in the form of a comic or a comic page, it's just that: a glimpse. As if they were telling a story, not myself as the author. When someone's telling a story from their life, one would assume things like that would remain private for most people, or do people go around telling their sex life (if they would theoretically even have one) to others in detail? :P

Sounds beyond out of character to begin with. Apart from that I wouldn't even feel like drawing that.

Long story short:

And that's also not what I'd like to make money with. I don't want to be one of those artists who suddenly switch to this for attention and money (because, you know, sex sells). Either someone likes my art as is… or not. Offer me money to draw other stuff instead.

Grumpy Alien

I'm not an artist or writer, so n/a. I guess it'd depend? I don't know. Irrelevant to me.

Not that my art goes into human physical contact, but that would be big NOPE. There are plenty of places you can go and see that <}@p for free, why should I try to make money off it?

J. van Deijck

for money? no.

at least not solely for money.

DayDreamer~

I definitely wouldn't do it for money. 

Most of my OC's, that's just not something I think about with them, even the couples I have paired together. And two of my characters are Ace, so it would be out of character for them. It's not my preferred art style either. In the end it's just not something I care to draw, even if someone offered to pay me for it. Closest I ever got was a shirtless Incubus character and that's about as far as I can go, otherwise I just get creeped out. 

If someone else decides to do it, fine- but if someone were to ask me to do it, I'd have to tell them to change their request, or no dice.

Eh... I don't really like doing sexual stuff with anything really, but if it involved an OC for money, it wpuld just depend on several things. Like what kind of sexual stuff and whether or not it's part of the OC's character itself or not. If it's not part of their character, it would just really seem out of place and just wouldn't work out well. But then again, I think me and dealing with sexual stuff alone is pretty out of place to begin with... I mean some things I probably wouldn't mind drawing/writing, but some would just be too much...

Probably not. Though if people made fanart portraying a healthy relationship it'd be super rad because someone cared enough about my work to create something based on it. 

Each person has a certain set of skills/tasks they can perform such that they would feel fulfilled to get paid for putting those skills to use, but this is kind of outside of my range. I wouldn't feel good about earning money that way. It's not like some moral judgment, it's just an "I can't be bothered to earn money doing this" feeling.

TheCatBehind

Yes, but it would have to be an adequate pay lol

J. van Deijck

in my case, my character is demisexual and sure he will have some 'moments' with his partner, but that's just a part of him, not something done for money. 

I wouldn't ruin my characters for money, as many did.

Hey, sex sells. I know a lot of artists who allow people to see R18 content they make if they become a patron on their Patreon (which charges monthly, I believe). It's a good way to make money, 'cause people wanna see that stuff. I don't really think drawing an OC in a sexual position or something else is really "ruining the character" imo. Though it also depends on how you do it, I guess. I don't really mind that stuff so I have no problem drawing those kinds of things, as an artist myself.

I used to only make NSFW OC. So yes, I would. But I kinda really sucked at capturing that intimacy that people wanted. So it was not for me. 

As for my written works, maybe. I don't like the idea of them being violated though. Since I'm slave to plot consistency. 

Félinferno

Eh, I don't see why not. Most of my characters are sexual anyway, so it wouldn't be unnatural for them to be doing that type of stuff behind the scenes. I don't think it would ruin my characters either.

• 1 month later...

Only if it makes sense, and only if it isn't too explicit for me or the target audience and characters in said work. So I guess I fall under "weird middle ground" territory because of matters of comfort, and the nature of my characters. I can't imagine drawing anything sexual, but maybe inferably more than sensual for some of my characters who are both sexual, and have a feasible relationship with another character from the same universe.

• 11 months later...

@Marrow

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived