Calling Writers and Authors! (NaNoWriMo 2017).

Ricki

21 minutes ago, fkfeliz said:

^ I totally agree, and it's a great feeling when you write what you want to write. I write a lot of merfic, and that's nowhere near as popular as vamps and weres, but I love it, nonetheless, and that's what should matter. I hope you do well on your first try, but at the end of the day, you're right in that a few thousand words are better than nothing. :)

Thank you! Good luck to you as well! 

I like to write somewhat romantic novels (not exactly in the "traditional" way) which I know many people think are cheesy and lame. But I'm just gonna go for it this time!

Thanks! I write romance, too, and it can be tough to follow the rules in every story because of having to accept that without the emotionally satisfying HEA/HFN and central romantic plot, it won't qualify as a romance in terms of genre. But I like that you're doing your own thing because you're willing to tell the story as it needs to be told with nothing contrived. :D

Welp! I started mine just after midnight tonight, and I'm already at 1,269 words so far! I only need to reach 1,667 words each day, which can be challenging on a daily basis. I'm sure I'll make it tonight, but we'll see for the rest of the month. *cracks knuckles*

TheLittleRabbit

I cheated and started at 8pm Halloween, just because I have Tuesday off from work, and some other days I might struggle to find time to write.  Forced myself to do a bunch of writing sprints this morning too before I went into work.  I'm at 4505 words so far, but I fully expect my novel to end up being longer than 50k words, and so I would actually love if I could somehow hit 4k a day regularly but I know that's not gonna happen.  The first week is usually the easiest though, so trying to drive it up as high as I can.

That's not much sooner, so you're fine. For all you know, you might even surpass the 50K mark. :) 

I'm at 5,071 words! It only takes 5,001 for three days of 1,667 each, so I'm well caught up. But! I'm not going to get lazy about it now, lol. Work, work, work! :P 

PerhapsSomeHotCocoa

I’m only at 1,247 right now, but I’m happy with that, considering I forgot that today was the first! Set my alarm for 15 minutes earlier so I could have some writing time in the morning.

Also, are you folks planning it or pantsing it this year? I thought I was planning until I last-minute decided to switch up the POV, which affects a fair few plot points. So I’m kind of flying by the seat of my pants right now.

@PerhapsSomeHotCocoa I've been planning for maybe a week and a half trying to get familiar with the characters and making a list of plot lines I want to include. I still don't have a definite idea about the ending though. I have never planned this much, but I'm hoping that means I'll actually stick with it. 

PerhapsSomeHotCocoa

@artzcat Good luck! In general, sticking with these month-long challenges has never been successful for me (case in point: I only made it through 1/3 of Inkotober). Best wishes!

1 hour ago, PerhapsSomeHotCocoa said:

@artzcat Good luck! In general, sticking with these month-long challenges has never been successful for me (case in point: I only made it through 1/3 of Inkotober). Best wishes!

Haha it's typical for me to be extra motivated and then think my idea is trash 2 days later. (Also I never finish anything. I have about 50 unfinished stories saved on my laptop and by unfinished I mean like maybe only 3-4 pages into it before I abandoned the story). Anyway, good luck to you too! 

theperksofbeing

I made 1,667 yesterday but have to take a sick day today. I’m running a fever and I can’t think over my headache so I think this’ll be my one off day that I’ll make up somewhere down the line. Hope everyone’s having a better first couple of days than me lmao

I decided to pants it, but I did some plotting beforehand, so I should be okay. I'm at 7,388 words as of late last night (more like after 4 am, lol). I took a break today because I was exhausted, but I'll be recharged again by tomorrow. I too wish everyone else luck, as this is quite the beast to slay.  :|

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

Good luck to everyone in this thread! Remember that the idea with NaNoWriMo is to avoid second guessing and just get it done!

That is good advice. This is my first time participating in NaNoWriMo and I'm really trying to remember that it's not about crafting a perfect story but just getting it down on paper. So I'm trying to avoid editing or reading back over what I've written. 

Also today I have a total of 4,810 words 

I just made an account on the site today. I haven't prepared anything, and as it's my first time participating, I'm a little nervous! I'm wondering if I should wait till next year, and spend that time preparing?

@starkid As someone who ended up pantsing it, it's not to late to participate. However, if you feel more comfortable with some time to prep, there are Camp Nanowrimo's in... April, July? Something like that, you wouldn't have to wait for the next official (November) Nanowrimo.  I'm still at less than 4000 words. Hoping to boost my numbers on the weekend ;) Good luck everyone!!

Ugh, I'm exhausted. 10,025 words total, a novelette now. At least I'm having fun with all these ideas and this energy. But I need to call it a night. Tomorrow's a new day. :D 

TheLittleRabbit

I stayed up a little late thanks to daylight savings time change giving me the hour back later tonight... Up to 11k now, so 1/5th of Nano's wordcount, but only at about 1/8th or 1/9th of the plot.  I had a feeling this would be the case and my novel would end up longer, but here's hoping I can keep the momentum all the way through.

sapphicwitches

Hi everyone, having struggled with time management & my workload in my two majors (english studies & history), I decided to join the NaNoWriMo 2017 (it's my fourth NaNo) this Friday having written about 1.000 words atm, planning to write an additional 10k tonight. I'd ask myself if there's any asexual writing group for NaNo as in telegram/whatsapp/discord group to support each other crying about plot holes and the emptiness of blank word pages.

How's everyone doing so far?

I'm at 24,318 words so almost halfway there. I'm so happy with myself for keeping up with it :lol:

Good luck to everyone else!

Ugh. Very little progress since my last post, at 18,708 words. I'm worried I chose the wrong story because it wrapped itself up naturally. I should've been at 25K words yesterday, so I'm far behind. We'll see, though. I wish everyone else great luck!

Shadowstepper

It is always my intention to participate, but I usually stall out during the initial planning phase and never make it to actually writing.

7 hours ago, fkfeliz said:

Ugh. Very little progress since my last post, at 18,708 words. I'm worried I chose the wrong story because it wrapped itself up naturally. I should've been at 25K words yesterday, so I'm far behind. We'll see, though. I wish everyone else great luck!

Sorry to hear that. I hope you can find a solution. Wishing you good luck!

On 11/19/2017 at 1:17 PM, Rolosrawesome said:

Am I too late for this?

National Novel Writing Month begins at the start of November, so it might be difficult to catch up (the idea is to write 50k words in a month), although you could always start now and set your own thirty day schedule.

Archived