The Metalhead Fortress

SaturnOOO

Silk Bones

Β 

• Like 3

I've recently listened to the new release by Dimmu Borgir and was a tiny bit disappointed compared to what they used to do, but it was fun, and this song was my favourite :

Β 

Β 

• Like 2
StupidDream

Haha the dreaded Demon Burger...... Actually I remember their first album being kinda okay but years since I heard them.

Β 

Been listening to these guys lately, saw them open for Moonsorrow/Primordial a couple of months back, they are really tight.Β  It's not original, but its good for the genre.

Β 

• Like 3

@StupidDream 😍 love it. And am a bit  humbled not to have known about them since I'm familiar with a lot of the band members' previous affiliations (though yeah... I've been out of the loop on new releases for the past several years.) I'm also a total sucker for soaring, operatic male vocals in metal. This will be what gets me through my final month of my final term of my final year of grad school!

I've noticed you and I have a similar approach / "language" when it comes to music, which is super helpful when I'm too busy/ lazy to do my own research. 😁

StupidDream
56 minutes ago, SaturnOOO said:

@StupidDream 😍 love it. And am a bit  humbled not to have known about them since I'm familiar with a lot of the band members' previous affiliations (though yeah... I've been out of the loop on new releases for the past several years.) I'm also a total sucker for soaring, operatic male vocals in metal. This will be what gets me through my final month of my final term of my final year of grad school!

I've noticed you and I have a similar approach / "language" when it comes to music, which is super helpful when I'm too busy/ lazy to do my own research. 😁

Haha yeh they are a killer band... Their newest album is great too, but this is my favourite album, still has a bit of the death metal in places which I am such a sucker for... The vocalist is Ihsahn's brother-in-law and they used to play with Ihsahn live...Β  You don't get better credentials than that!

Β 

Yeh I've noticed some of your shares are really good too.Β  Have you listened to metal long?Β  I'm almost 20 years a metalhead now, and I've never stopped searching for new bands... From those humble beginnings when I first heard Iron Maiden aged 14 its a life-long passion!

25 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Yehο»Ώ I've noticed some of your shares are really good too.Β  Have you listο»Ώened to metal long?Β  I'm almost 20 years a metalhead now, and I've never stopped searching for new bands... From those humble beginnings when I first heard Iroο»Ώn ο»ΏMaiden aged 14 its a life-long passion!ο»Ώ

I'm probably coming up on 20 years myself... Though probably a couple shy. I actually didn't get in through the "traditional" thrash/NWOBHM route. I was a big Porcupine Tree fan in high school and from there discovered Opeth's Damnation. Once I made the jump from Damnation to Orchid (got over the harsh vocals hump) I knew I was hooked for life. The marriage of extremes with beauty/ugliness made intuitive sense to me and made it feel like metal was the one honest thing in my life (teenage angst and all that.) I had never given two craps about vocals before, but my first obsessions were those of Warrel Dane, Garm,Β ICS Vortex (yes, he's cheesy and made some questionable choices, but I effing love his singing,) and the more bizarre utterances of Attila Csihar. Hence the above mentioned weakness.Β :D

• Like 1

My first favourite metal band was probably Rhapsody, to the point that at some point I bought all their previously released albums on cassettes. Later on, I caught the bug of female operatic vocals and started buying Nightwish Cds. My affection for melodic varieties of metal hasn't changed since then, but I added more subgenres to my list. All is fine as long as I can hear a melody.

• Like 1
StupidDream
7 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

My first favourite metal band was probably Rhapsody, to the point that at some point I bought all their previously released albums on cassettes. Later on, I caught the bug of female operatic vocals and started buying Nightwish Cds. My affection for melodic varieties of metal hasn't changed since then, but I added more subgenres to my list. All is fine as long as I can hear a melody.

No Napalm Death for you then!Β  πŸ˜‚

@StupidDream

Yeah, someone has already brought them up. Good stuff :)

Β 

From me, a recent discovery of mine, hailing from Iceland.

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

Β 

TheseΒ and Cult Leader’s recent album I just can’t stop listening to!Β 

• Like 1
StupidDream
1 hour ago, Amnesiac said:

Β 

TheseΒ and Cult Leader’s recent album I just can’t stop listening to!Β 

Great find, love it!Β 

StupidDream
11 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@StupidDream

Yeah, someone has already brought them up. Good stuff :)

Β  Reveal hidden contents

Β 

Β 

Hahaha yeh that was me πŸ˜‰, different song this time though... It's such a solid album imo! πŸ˜‚

11 hours ago, Ammy said:

Anyone into metal covers of video game music?

I don't tend to search for them too often, but I do like them when I do hear them, like a good bit of metal and chiptunes. My favourite has been this one for a while now (also Megaman, never played any of the games but but the song is awesome)

Β 

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

Also I can't talk about metal, video games and chiptunes without getting some MaSu in here (helps that they're also my favourite band ❀️)

Β 

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

and some of their more usual stuff too

Β 

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, rythax said:

I don't tend to search for them too often, but I do like them when I do hear them, like a good bit of metal and chiptunes. My favourite has been this one for a while now (also Megaman, never played any of the games but but the song is awesome)

Not a fan of that one tbh. They took too many liberties and it's really difficult to recognize the original piece anymore unless I *really* focus on trying to recognize the notes.

Β 

I much prefer something like this (from 10:06 to the end, if the timestamp on the link doesn't work in the embed.)

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

Anyway, if you (or anyone else) is interested in this kind of stuff, this guy right here is your guy. There's also Daniel Tidwell who does stuff like this with a more of a classic rock/metal feel to it.

Β 

Leaving another one of my favourites while I'm there:

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

A band from denmark I really like :DΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Fair warning for those interested, it's 11 minutes long. Though maybe that makes it better. :lol:Β 

• Like 1

Reading youtube comments on some sentenced song quided me to this

Β 

Β 

Somehow i stumbled to this from another sentenced songs comments (it was this band advertising itself, which i usually react negatively to but i guess the sentenced song got me emotional and vulnerable to advertising)

And i absolutely shoulndt be listening to youtube videos...

Β 

Β 

@Peinture Paix

I keep reading about Agalloch on the INternet, but I have only listened to one or two or their songs. This one sounds definitely like a good idea for a first step in the Agalloch land. I'm going to take another step ASAP :)

• Like 1

@PiotrekΒ I hope you'll enjoy!Β 

Β 

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

I've been slowly getting into these guys a bit lately:
Β 

Β