Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Haha I know right it’s a bit of both I’m jealous but I was kind of ok too.

I was hooked up on the idea if-the-person-you-like-likes-someone-else-you are-emotionally-scared-forever-thing. 

Its not bothering me too much tho but I feel as if that is a bad thing because I want to like someone a lot and actually feel the need to peruse them. I mean a lot of the other ppl my age really have liked someone but I am just too weak to do so...

• Like 1
Neutral nerd

Don't think that you have to feel more or less for a person than you are comfortable with. The human emotion called "love" is a variable concept, depending wholly upon personal preference. If a label doesn't fit you, there's no need for labels that aren't right. 

I don't really have any experience with liking someone so I'm just giving my own interpretation. Hope it helps! 

:cake: 0u0

• Like 2
UnicornCloud

Oh cool, so I am not the only person feeling out of place, that makes me feel a little better! My family and I were watching TV, and as a kissing/sex scene came up I looked away. My dad noticed, and he was like: "Why are you turning away? Aren't you teens supposed to wanna watch, so you can learn how it works?" And I was like :mellow:

Oh man, squishes!! Yeah, I did feel a bit jealous when I found out a squish of mine had a boyfriend. I guess I wasn't jealous because he was in a relationship with her, but I was jealous because he got to talk to her and hang out with her and give her hugs and I didn't. I'm jealous of all of her friends for that reason, actually ^^

• Like 3
1 hour ago, UnicornClowd said:

I guess I wasn't jealous because he was in a relationship with her, but I was jealous because he got to talk to her and hang out with her and give her hugs and I didn't.

yeah this is more it. Im jealous that I don't get to spend more time with them.

5 hours ago, Neutral nerd said:

The human emotion called "love" is a variable concept

True I should stop being hard on myself just because the world is so lovey dove thx

• Like 1

Being a teenaged ace, people always say, “Oh, you’ll grow out of it. You’re just uneducated. You’re just innocent.”

HONEY, YOU DONT KNOW ME. YOU CANT JUST ASSUME EVERY PERSON ON THE FRICKING PLANET WANTS TO HAVE A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP IN THEIR LIFE. 

(This got ranty real fast)

I don’t think people get it. Sure, I’m young, but I understand that a) ew

and b) there’s more important things for me to live for

so just let me life my life as an ace, because it’s not a phase.

(apologies for the rant)

• Like 6
awkwardchickenpotatodragon

Kinda off topic, but the future really scares me.

I mean, I don't know what kind of job I want, where I'm going to go, what I'm going to do, and the not knowing scares me in a way. I know that I have 2 more years of high school, so I have plenty of time to think of what job I want...but I want to know now, so that I can start planning for it.

And with my aro/ace-ness, I'm also scared about how to go about the kind of living situation I want, and what kind of living situation do I even want? I mean, I really want to live with someone- to split the rent with, to have someone to be social with- but I only want a friend for that. And getting a friend who is okay with that situation will be hard. Would I be okay with living by myself?

But then again, I don't really need to think about this now. The thought is in my mind though, and I can't get it out. Anyone else worried about the future?

• Like 4
Quality_Penguins
4 hours ago, UnicornClowd said:

My family and I were watching TV, and as a kissing/sex scene came up I looked away. My dad noticed, and he was like: "Why are you turning away? Aren't you teens supposed to wanna watch, so you can learn how it works?" 

THIS IS ME ALL DAYS

But seriously is that how people know how to kiss? Are they just born knowing? And why? I've kissed someone before and it's just like...you put your mouths together and it's wet and kind of cold and slimy (I'm literally shuddering/cringing as I type this). Kissing just confuses me like I get the symbol but the feeling is just...no.

2 minutes ago, awkwardchickenpotatodragon said:

I mean, I don't know what kind of job I want, where I'm going to go, what I'm going to do, and the not knowing scares me in a way. I know that I have 2 more years of high school, so I have plenty of time to think of what job I want...but I want to know now, so that I can start planning for it.

Yeah dude no worries you've got plenty of time to figure it out. Just try to branch out in the classes you take until you find something you love. I'm a freshman in college and I have quite a few friends who still don't really know what they want to do. And there are counselors for that kind of thing who can help you figure it out.

The future kinda spooks me so I try not to think about it. It's so far away and you can't anticipate everything that will happen. You just have to roll with it and try to make the most of it. Yes you can plan for it and prepare for it, but all in all it's going to be pretty unpredictable. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, awkwardchickenpotatodragon said:

Kinda off topic, but the future really scares me.

And with my aro/ace-ness, I'm also scared about how to go about the kind of living situation I want, and what kind of living situation do I even want? I mean, I really want to live with someone- to split the rent with, to have someone to be social with- but I only want a friend for that. And getting a friend who is okay with that situation will be hard. Would I be okay with living by myself?

But then again, I don't really need to think about this now. The thought is in my mind though, and I can't get it out. Anyone else worried about the future?

I spend alot of time worried about the future as well, especially living accommodations and relationships  lol.  I guess everything will come in time. Hey, I also worry about jobs, college and all that other stuff, especially since I'm a junior.

All I can say for that is just think about doing something you would enjoy, but do be reasonable and choose something you can live off of. Focus on grades this year and next year take more challenging courses, do your best,. You don't have to be perfect, most colleges also want people who are well rounded and passionate about something.  Lastly, don’t forget to have some fun and still enjoy being young. 

Hope this helps 

~Anja 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 1Acetrash1 said:

Sure, I’m young, but I understand that a) ew

This is the best and most relatable thing I've read in a while 😁

• Like 3
IrishArcher
8 hours ago, Quality_Penguins said:

But seriously is that how people know how to kiss? Are they just born knowing? And why? I've kissed someone before and it's just like...you put your mouths together and it's wet and kind of cold and slimy (I'm literally shuddering/cringing as I type this). Kissing just confuses me like I get the symbol but the feeling is just...no.

Exactly! My sister asked me how my first kiss was and I described it as "wet," and she gave me a funny look, but that's all I really had to say. It's so gross and uncomfortable, and I don't understand how anyone finds that enjoyable--it's exactly as you said, wet and slimy *shudders*.

• Like 3
awkward_pterodactyl

Yeah, we like cake and purple and dragons and fire, and purple cake-hoarding fire-breathing dragons.

There's a lot of sex in culture and especially with all the sex-positivity (which don't get me wrong, isn't a bad thing) everything is kinda inundated with it so it's hard to feel like you belong when you're not into it. But hey, we got each other!

Yah I'm terrified of the future. Although, fun fact, I'm going to the University of Evansville (whose colors are purple and grey, and whose mascot is the Purple Ace). I don't think they know but it makes me chuckle ;) . I aspire to one day live in a nerdy dragon lair but the whole idea of platonic roommate/ace datemate/three cats and future career etc is suddenly pressing down on me. Last week my dad asked me when I was thinking of getting married and how it would affect my job choices. Whyyyyyyyyyy

Also yes my mother always gives me weird looks when there's a shirtless/kissing/making the sex/innuendo scene and I'm going 'eurgh'

I think this covers the last twenty posts or so... look at me I'm being so active (definitely not procrastinating on all my projects) 

• Like 5
IrishArcher

Just had this conversation with a friend/acquaintance (we're in a drama group together). We were all talking about our plans for the future. One girl said she wanted a lot of kids, her sister said she didn't want any. This guy spoke up, and I don't know if he was joking or not (I kind of hope he was), but he said, seemingly very seriously:

Him: Everybody wants kids, they just don't know it yet.

Me: I don't want kids.

Him: You'll change your mind when you get married.

Me: I don't want to get married.

Him: Do you want a boyfriend?

Me: No.

(end of conversation)

I know this has been said again and again, but I just hate it when people treat marriage/kids as if they're inevitable for everyone. There is no set script for how everybody's life should turn out--not everybody has the same goals, or reaches the same milestones. I was honestly kind of shocked at how matter-of-fact he sounded when he claimed to know what everyone else wanted.

• Like 2
UnicornCloud

Yeah, I’m sorta worried about my future too. Aren’t a lot of people our age though? We just have to figure out this whole “Not wanting sex when it’s apparently so important to everyone else” thing out on top of that. Most of the other issues we are dealing with are super common, like what to do for further education, or which job to take and where’s the how to adult handbook? But to be like: “Hey I wanna be in a relationship but minus the sex, is that a thing?” or “Ugh why is everyone suddenly dating everyone, I mean what’s so great about dating anyway?” or “[incert ace/aro thought here]” is not so very common I guess. For me that is mostly where all my anxiety comes from. But you know what? I’ll figure it out. And also, you guys will figure it out. We’ve got our nice little hideout here after all, with all that cake and all those dragons, and even better, with all of us! 

• Like 5
dragon_nerd

Ugh, I had this conversation with my Grandma earlier 

G: Oh I do hope I get to see your children some day.

Me: Uhh, I don't want any kids. 

G: Oh you'll find a nice man and get married and have kids one day.

Me: Umm why?

G: Well I want to live to be a great grandmother you know.

I then made an excuse and left. 

Like, it's not my job to provide my grand/parents with grandchildren to fawn over! Can't really say that to an 80-year-old with dementia though. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, UnicornCloud said:

But you know what? I’ll figure it out. And also, you guys will figure it out. We’ve got our nice little hideout here after all, with all that cake and all those dragons, and even better, with all of us! 

Yeah that's something that's always there at the end of the day,and it makes me feel good knowing no matter what there are people that will always welcome me back

dragon_nerd I'm sorry to hear about your day,that really sucks 

I wish people realized there are more than one ways to live your life(that sentence doesn't feel right but english isn't my native language so that's why, let's just all pretent it's perfect)

• Like 2
On 3/21/2018 at 4:42 PM, MyOwnMercury said:

We totally didn’t intentionally leave a tripwire there on purpose...

but since you’re here, hi!

No, I totally did. 

Hey!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, UnicornCloud said:

I’m not into dragons that much but you guys are getting me there!!

How dare you not be obsessed!

On 3/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, UnicornCloud said:

Has anyone of you ever felt out of place ‘cause of being ace? 

Yes. Today, one of my teachers for some reason was talking about something like that humans are going to be obsessed with sex in a few years and I just thought "But what if you're asexual?"

• Like 1
Quality_Penguins
On March 26, 2018 at 1:15 PM, JanaM said:

I wish people realized there are more than one ways to live your life(that sentence doesn't feel right but english isn't my native language so that's why, let's just all pretent it's perfect)

It would be "there is more than one way" but besides that it's fine. And honestly, English is really hard to learn so kudos to you. I've been taking Spanish for 4 years and I'm still not fluent. Bi/multilingual people are super amazing. Most people won't judge your grammar that hard anyway so don't feel self-concious about messing up. 😁

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Quality_Penguins said:

It would be "there is more than one way" but besides that it's fine. And honestly, English is really hard to learn so kudos to you. I've been taking Spanish for 4 years and I'm still not fluent. Bi/multilingual people are super amazing. Most people won't judge your grammar that hard anyway so don't feel self-concious about messing up. 😁

Thanks😊That's very nice of you 

On 25/03/2018 at 4:59 AM, 1Acetrash1 said:

Being a teenaged ace, people always say, “Oh, you’ll grow out of it. You’re just uneducated. You’re just innocent.”

HONEY, YOU DONT KNOW ME. YOU CANT JUST ASSUME EVERY PERSON ON THE FRICKING PLANET WANTS TO HAVE A SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP IN THEIR LIFE. 

(This got ranty real fast)

I don’t think people get it. Sure, I’m young, but I understand that a) ew

and b) there’s more important things for me to live for

so just let me life my life as an ace, because it’s not a phase.

(apologies for the rant)

Ikr! We’re not convincing them that they’re gay/bi/pan/straight or all of the above, so why would they convince us that we’re not who we think we are? Honestly it seems like there’s never a good age to be ace. Some people are even told that they’re “too old”. 

My best friend told me once “I you’re straighter than you think you are”. That got me so pissed. Maybe later in life I’ll change, but for now I identify as ace, and I feel way more comfortable with that. So why would she want to change my label? I’m not here changing hers. 

Lol sorry for the rant 😆 

Although personally I enjoy reading other people’s rants, and I also enjoy joining in (as you might’ve noticed 😅) 

On 25/03/2018 at 8:48 PM, awkward_pterodactyl said:

University of Evansville (whose colors are purple and grey, and whose mascot is the Purple Ace). I don't think they know but it makes me chuckle ;) 

Omg that’s so cool! 😆 👍🏼 

• Like 1
On 25. 3. 2018 at 5:35 AM, awkwardchickenpotatodragon said:

I mean, I don't know what kind of job I want, where I'm going to go, what I'm going to do, and the not knowing scares me in a way. 

I am actually in my last year of high school. And I fel the same. Like.. future? What future? I cannnot even know that I will have basic human rights in ten years! Yeeees, this might seem like overeactiing, but even though I live ine Europe and am not part of any etnic minority, I still feel that the general future of people is so very unstable and uncertain these days.

About that living thing.. I have an aunt, she might be asexual but she never discussed it and we never asked. She lived with my grandma and now, when grandma passed away, she lives in the house on her own. She has a dog whom she loves and she spends her days by going to work, having long walks with her dog, listening audiobooks and sometimes having some friends or relatives over. I think that she gets lonely sometimes.. But she seems content enough.

Anyway, I've been thinking about that as well. And I actually have a very close friend, she doesn't date anyone and even though she probabbly doesn't describe herself as asexual, she is happy to share a flat with me in the future. Durning our studies at university and so on. I am actually really excited about spending whole days in her company. I might even say I love her in a purely platonic way - I actually don't even know if I could describe it as a squish and I don't care. I like spending time with her and she enjoys my company as well so at this point I don't see any problems xD

You could try t find a person to share a flat with through AVEN. There are meetups so you could find someone from the same country or just someone who doesn't really care where they live. You could get to know hem well through private messages.. who knows? Maybe there is somewhere a person that is perfect for that kind of thing :') Perhaps you could just start a thread here somewhere with the info about what you seek and perhaps someone will answer you.

This might sound really naive, but who knows? Never say never :'))

I hope my bit helped you at least a little, I wish you good luck !

• Like 2
On 3/28/2018 at 7:15 AM, OhDearyMe! said:

Ikr! We’re not convincing them that they’re gay/bi/pan/straight or all of the above, so why would they convince us that we’re not who we think we are? Honestly it seems like there’s never a good age to be ace. Some people are even told that they’re “too old”. 

My best friend told me once “I you’re straighter than you think you are”. That got me so pissed. Maybe later in life I’ll change, but for now I identify as ace, and I feel way more comfortable with that. So why would she want to change my label? I’m not here changing hers. 

Lol sorry for the rant 😆 

Although personally I enjoy reading other people’s rants, and I also enjoy joining in (as you might’ve noticed 😅) 

Last night my mom told me

"I don't think you're asexual. I think you're heterosexual."

Neutral nerd

Oh gog, that's so horrible!!! :mad: I hate when people try to control others in areas they have no say in. Your mom may be your parent, but the decision whether or not to BE a parent is yours and yours alone. Which... I guess kinda goes into my rant (whelp)

I hate how familycentric Mormonism is. As an ace in the Mormon church I see everyone else focus on family and it feels like everyone is brainwashed except for me. We're watching general conference and there was this one cheesy ad that just makes me rage. It had a kid guilting their busy dad into playing with them. "Give all your time to your children!" IT'S OK to not fawn over obnoxious brats who tend to make life miserable, IT'S OK not to be a perfect loving housewife or responsible priesthood holder, so please STOP IT WITH THE CONTROLLING LIES. Whenever I see people who take orientation for granted try to make themselves the ideal it makes me miserable and frustrated and disappointed with all of these institutions. 

On a completely unrelated note, being ace is awesome protection from The Mother's Curse (may you grow up to have a child just like you!). Instead I'm stuck with the daughter's curse, and have a mother who's just like me. :P

My mom loves me a lot and takes really good care of me, she just doesn't think I'm ace.

Oh well

pretty well but its almost midnight here and I have school tomorrow :/ I like this website too much. hbu?

On 31/03/2018 at 5:28 PM, Miss Who said:

Last night my mom told me

"I don't think you're asexual. I think you're heterosexual."

My best friend said that to me. Ugh.