Teen Corner

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, there, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember the TOS about being respectful towards other members, each others' different viewpoints, etc. without swearing at each other, vigilante modding (i.e. ordering other members around), etc.

Just a friendly reminder that if there is/are a post(s) that concern you, that the TOS mentions notifying Admods for help through PM or AVEN's report system.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Hayis4horses
12 hours ago, LemonCupcakes said:

I’m 19 and in my first year of uni - ...am I still allowed on Teen Corner?

19 year olds comment on Teen Corner, don't worry.

purpleflavoredpi

Welcome! 🍰🍰

I mean it's nineTEEN... I'm 18. It's cool, join us, we want you here!

Side note, how's college life as an asexual? Are college students really that sex obsessed? (Headed there in the fall)

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, purpleflavoredpi said:

Side note, how's college life as an asexual? Are college students really that sex obsessed? (Headed there in the fall)

I’m currently enrolled in a community college and a village of sorts and almost everyone makes sex jokes there so apparently so. 

Alawyn-Aebt
On 6/17/2019 at 3:51 PM, LemonCupcakes said:

Hi! I’m still pretty new on this site - this is really cool, I didn’t even know this forum existed! :) (By the way, I’m 19 and in my first year of uni - ...am I still allowed on Teen Corner?)

Hello and Welcome! Yes, or at least I hope so as I am 19 also, although in my third year of university.

@purpleflavoredpi It will not allow me to double-quote for some reason so I will just ping.

I have had two years of community college, and in those two years absolutely not. Might also be because in community college no one lives on campus, but sexual topics rarely, if ever, arose in my friend groups. The few (very few times) times they did it was questions of "Are you gay?" or "Do you have a friend?" (wink-wink-nudge-nudge sort of intonation on the word friend).

I am sure a university or college that had on-campus housing will have more overt signs of sex, but if you can tolerate the minor question or sexual joke and find a good group of friends you should have no trouble.

LemonCupcakes
On 6/18/2019 at 10:20 PM, purpleflavoredpi said:

In my experience, it’s really not that bad! I don’t know, maybe it’s just the people I hang out with, but I haven’t noticed any sex conversations yet. People do talk about their boyfriends/girlfriends/love life, etc, but that’s pretty much it.

I haven’t come out to anyone at uni yet, because I honestly only feel the need to clarify when I specifically get asked about my sexuality. And when I get asked if there’s anyone I like, I just smile and say “No, thanks, I’m really not interested in dating anyone” and that’s that.

I’d say in general it just depends on your friend group (and probably whether you live in halls or off campus, as well) - but you shouldn’t have any trouble. People are generally really nice and easy to talk to about all kinds of topics,  not just sex :) 

• Like 3

Sup ya'll, just found this cool corner. How's it going?

• Like 3
Retcon_Gecko

Heya peeps, anything interesting going on?

• Like 1
TheFoxDenArtist
1 hour ago, Retcon_Gecko said:

Heya peeps, anything interesting going on?

Just heading home to work on animations! 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, TheFoxDenArtist said:

Just heading home to work on animations! 

What are you animating?

TheFoxDenArtist
10 minutes ago, ColeHW said:

What are you animating?

I’m animating a scene of some ocs from my own story to the Pusher meme audio. I’ve got roughs done I’m currently working on the storyboards.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TheFoxDenArtist said:

I’m animating a scene of some ocs from my own story to the Pusher meme audio. I’ve got roughs done I’m currently working on the storyboards.

Nice.

Retcon_Gecko
5 minutes ago, TheFoxDenArtist said:

Can you show them when they're done?

TheFoxDenArtist
1 hour ago, Retcon_Gecko said:

Can you show them when they're done?

Yea but it may be awhile 

15 hours ago, BumbleBeee said:

Sup ya'll, just found this cool corner. How's it going?

Hi BumbleBeee and welcome to AVEN! I'm doing pretty well.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:20 PM, purpleflavoredpi said:

I don't know what college life is like, but I just wanted to say that I'm headed there in the fall to so we'll find out together.

• Like 3
Celestial_Strawberry

Hey there friends! This forum looks cool so I thought I'd say hi. How's everybody's day been?

Alawyn-Aebt

First off, welcome to AVEN Celestial_Strawberry!

1 minute ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

How's everybody's day been?

Fine, worked at a grocery store from 5am-1pm (I would rather work in the early morning, that way I get off just after lunch and the rest of my day is not wasted) stocking an aisle along with 16 other new hires. Possibly made a friend there too but she is female so I hope we can be friends without any romantic thoughts or foreboding of romantic thoughts intruding.

How was your day?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

Hey there friends! This forum looks cool so I thought I'd say hi. How's everybody's day been?

Hi! Welcome to AVEN! I haven't done much today and it's been a rather confusing day for me since I have guests, my immediate family has been gone most of the day, I stayed up very late, and slept half the day away.

• Like 1
Pumpkins_and_penguins

Hi everybody.

I had a great time at a barbecue today. I had some really great conversations and learnt some gossip.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Pumpkins_and_penguins said:

Hi everybody.

I had a great time at a barbecue today. I had some really great conversations and learnt some gossip.

Yay! Glad to hear you had a good time.

21 minutes ago, Aebt said:

Possibly made a friend there too but she is female so I hope we can be friends without any romantic thoughts or foreboding of romantic thoughts intruding.

Out of curiosity, have you had many female friends in the past? Your tone here is making me think this is something new for you, in which case, I'd say that's all the more reason to make a new friend - it'll be a learning experience! If I'm mistaken though, feel free to correct me.

39 minutes ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

How's everybody's day been?

Pretty boring honestly 😆. I've spent most of the day on self-inflicted summer review work. I'm hoping I can try some new stuff I bought at the grocery store for dinner though, so that's mildly exciting, I guess!

• Like 1
TheFoxDenArtist
43 minutes ago, Celestial_Strawberry said:

My mom dragged me along for a three hour errand run, wasted my whole afternoon  

Celestial_Strawberry
36 minutes ago, Aebt said:

How was your day?

It's been good. I'm really tired. I've been working at a local summer program and today was the last day. On the bright side, I got to take home two extra pizzas and a box of goldfish, so that's fun.

• Like 1
purpleflavoredpi

Nice two pizzas! I work at a rock gym and sometimes I get free pizza at the parties, it's always the best.

Today was mostly a relaxed day for me. I read a lot, and I helped my dad get my mom an anniversary present.

Alawyn-Aebt
59 minutes ago, iam135 said:

Out of curiosity, have you had many female friends in the past? Your tone here is making me think this is something new for you, in which case, I'd say that's all the more reason to make a new friend - it'll be a learning experience! If I'm mistaken though, feel free to correct me.

Yes and no. I have had plenty of female acquaintances but female friends are rare for me (So are any friends, but I have really only had 4 female friends excluding elementary school, I was homeschooled for middle and high school so only one female friend during that period). I have also been unlucky, one of my female friends whom I thought was one of my best friends at that time ended up spontaneously hugging me without permission. After that I didn't talk to her for a week as I was busy and a bit disturbed by that and I never heard from her again. I have enough trouble making friends and I feel because I really don't try too hard towards making them that might be one reason why I do not have many friends. While I am certainly not extroverted, a few friends would be nice.

I have had a couple female friends who started out as being mutual friends before migrating into my friend sphere too, but again I never had to do anything to gain them as friends. 

My issue is although I want to try harder on making friends I do not want to try too hard to come across as creepy. In times past all of my friends (and many of my better acquaintances) have made themselves friends by their own doing, they instigate the conversations at first, etc. I feel as if I have missed out on friendships because I never do that and I want to learn how to. I am so far out of my comfort zone so my brain is on overdrive.

• Like 3
purpleflavoredpi

@Aebt I relate so hard to that.

At the moment most of my friends are male because I joined a small, previously all male robotics team and we became tight, but I don't go out of my way to find friends, they are the ones who form the initial connection. I just really suck at interacting with people I'm not close with, but interaction is kinda a prerequisite for closeness...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Aebt said:

My issue is although I want to try harder on making friends I do not want to try too hard to come across as creepy. In times past all of my friends (and many of my better acquaintances) have made themselves friends by their own doing, they instigate the conversations at first, etc. I feel as if I have missed out on friendships because I never do that and I want to learn how to. I am so far out of my comfort zone so my brain is on overdrive.

I honestly feel like you're overthinking a tad bit. Just remember that humans are inherently social creatures. People want to make friends, so I honestly doubt anyone would fault you for striking up a conversation (unless you were asking for their personal info or something). Honestly, I don't think you should need to try super hard to make friends - you just need to cast out the metaphorical conversation fishing line and see who bites.

And, if someone does something that upsets you (such as your friend suddenly hugging you) just tell them politely upfront - there's a pretty high chance that they're not even aware that they're upsetting you (especially with hugs - some people are just huggy people). So communication is kind of the key all around! And I know that can kind of can suck (I was an extreme introvert up until high school), but I have faith in you 😊.

• Like 3
mexicanpotato

On 6/17/2019 at 2:51 PM, LemonCupcakes said:

Hi! I’m still pretty new on this site - this is really cool, I didn’t even know this forum existed! :) (By the way, I’m 19 and in my first year of uni - ...am I still allowed on Teen Corner?)

Of course you're allowed here