The Mary Sue - BoJack Horseman Delivers the Asexual Representation We Need

CosineTheCat

CosineTheCat

BoJack Horseman Delivers the Asexual Representation We Need

2016/08/17

the Mary Sue

It’s the middle of the night, and I’ve just finished binge-watching the entire third season of BoJack Horseman. I’m perched on my sofa, hugging my knees, as tears stream down my face. I’m slightly ashamed to admit it, but it’s not an unfamiliar scenario. In fact, I was doing the exact same thing approximately twelve months earlier, and again (for the first time) around two years prior.

I guess what I’m trying to say is:

1. Clearly, I get way too emotionally invested in cartoons about anthropomorphic animals.
  2. BoJack Horseman makes me consistently cry like no other show.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd already heard really good things about that show, but now I think I'll have to go and watch it for sure... :o

I'd already heard really good things about that show, but now I think I'll have to go and watch it for sure... :o

Dooooo iiiiiiiit.

sir octepus tea

it's really nice to have some kind of visibility, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way that they don't say asexual/gray/demisexual. this is the same probelm as shows that clearly have bisexual characters, but it's always "I don't like labels". I know beggars can't be choosers but I fear that soon there will be tons of asexual characters who go on saying they're "nothing". but I still love the show and it's pretty neat to have some representation on a show I love. hopefully they will be exploring todd's asexuality in the coming seasons if they're not cancelled.

it's really nice to have some kind of visibility, but it kinda rubs me the wrong way that they don't say asexual/gray/demisexual. this is the same probelm as shows that clearly have bisexual characters, but it's always "I don't like labels". I know beggars can't be choosers but I fear that soon there will be tons of asexual characters who go on saying they're "nothing". but I still love the show and it's pretty neat to have some representation on a show I love. hopefully they will be exploring todd's asexuality in the coming seasons if they're not cancelled.

I feel like Todd is not the kind of person to know that the word "asexual" exists. Maybe someone will tell him about it in the next season (yes, there will be one!)

I feel like Todd is not the kind of person to know that the word "asexual" exists. Maybe someone will tell him about it in the next season (yes, there will be one!)

Yes, I hope he is able to say the term "asexual" in the next season. I know the voice actor wants Todd to say he's asexual.

Bojack is a pretty funny show and worth a watch! Also has fantastic vegan commentary.

Archived