Master Trump Thread

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

I'm just helping chime in, here, doing my Admod duty as the cover Admod for the PPS forum of helping make sure members' discussions remain fair and respectful for everyone.

As the TOS and PPS forum rules' threads mention, please, remember that members are allowed to disagree, respectfully, without getting into personal, negative judgments or insults about other members.

If it helps, they have some tips and/or advice on how to disagree with other members, respectfully.

Thank you!

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

(covering the PPS forum)

1 hour ago, Yato said:

The video details all the interviews of Trump since the 80's, where he was discussing the same politics as he was now, except everyone loved him and begged for him to run. He didnt, and waited through several presidents in the hopes that someone more capable would do it, despite being confident he could. He was being humble. He also said he'd only do it if it got bad enough and he felt there was no one left. 

Wherein he also reiterates his (almost purely) business-minded stance, with an occasional nod at public work and admission that he's not cut out for it. 

Economy is important. Taking care of your country financially is crucial. But arguably. at least as much of the President's job is composed of public work, and- especially in today's day and age - a lot of the job is presenting a professional figurehead to the rest of the world. Not so convinced he's been doing a great job of that so far. I don't think any politician should be using a social media platform to present opinions in 280 characters or less, even if their vocabulary is composed predominantly of 4-letter words (don't worry, I'm referring to "very").

I don't follow mainstream media, so I don't know how often celebrities are asked if they would consider running for president, but I would bet there have been others who have been asked just as much as he has. Unsure if they were begging or merely posing a question.

No argument from me that the selection pool has become poor. =) 

No argument from me also that the majority of the country spoke up and put him in power. I don't have to like him, but he is my President.

@Kelly for what it's worth, the S&P 500 is the smallest of the three major American stock exchanges.  The NASDAQ and the NYSE are bigger by far, so they do a better job representing average trends across the US. The caveat is both are open to international markets, but as of today, they trade only a combined 613 international corporations... so close to 5500 domestic companies, versus the S&P's 505 companies. I don't know the numbers for the NASDAQ and the NYSE, I only bring this up because people like to trick people with numbers that don't necessarily communicate the whole truth, and I think it's important not to let the media pull the wool over our eyes.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

@Yato I have no problem with his brashness. I prefer people to be direct and to the point, although with a bit more tact. My problem is that 95% of what he says can be easily fact checked and proven to be false. "Alternative facts" if you will.

Except the "fact checkers" are paid to say what is real or what isn't. If you can't fact check things yourself, then you should not talk about politics. It doesn't take a genius to just look at the sources. There is numerous evidence of them lying out of their assess, and misquoting people intentionally to mislead people who uses fact checkers. 

5WADlwH.jpg

Looking at two statements

Bernie Saunders - http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jul/13/bernie-s/bernie-sanders-says-real-unemployment-rate-african/

The thing being Saunder's team could provide where they got the info, Saunders did state it incorrect and should have called it labour underutilisation which is calculated by epi.

The other statement was http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/sep/30/donald-trump/donald-trump-says-unemployment-rate-may-be-42-perc/when asked trump's team provided no working for it. With try to give as favourable as possible calculation above the official one, they produce a rate of 16.4 percent, in percentage terms this is 39% of trumps figure of 42%

There is a difference between trump coming up with a statistic from nowhere and Saunders incorrectly stating a statistic's title.

• Like 1

For the record, I don't count myself as Left or Right. I'm a more moderate libertarian who really wants the government to stay out of my business as much as reasonable while at the same time protecting EVERYONE's individual rights.

• Like 1
On 1/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, Yato said:

The video details all the interviews of Trump since the 80's, where he was discussing the same politics as he was now, except everyone loved him and begged for him to run. 

Maybe you weren't around in the 80s, Yato.  I was, and no one loved him except as an amusing asshole, and no one was begging him to run.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

I think he was referring to all of the egging on from comedians.  There's an infamous video of John Oliver literally begging Trump to run.

John Oliver wasn't around back in the 80s.

• Like 3
On 1/9/2018 at 2:22 AM, Sally said:

Maybe you weren't around in the 80s, Yato.  I was, and no one loved him except as an amusing asshole, and no one was begging him to run.

You obviously didnt watch the video either. Opera, RNC, The media (yes the same ones who hate him now) all inquired if he was gonna run, and lavished him with comments on how great of a leader he would be.

And Bill Cosby used to be an 80s icon but look at him now. People's opinions, and especially the media, changes over time.

• Like 2

He now has publicly referred to Haiti and certain African countries as “shitholes”. Direct quote. I have no words.

• Like 4

Doesn't surprise me, he's too chicken to visit Britain as he knows a vocal part of the population don't like him 

• Like 1
A mere monkey
1 hour ago, ChillaKilla said:

He now has publicly referred to Haiti and certain African countries as “shitholes”. Direct quote. I have no words.

Wasn't it during a meeting, thus not publicly? 

Only if he talks to dogs :P:P

Hang on, he's supposed to be meeting our PM.... 

Yes. He could have a problem :P:P

• Like 3
3 hours ago, A mere monkey said:

Wasn't it during a meeting, thus not publicly? 

It was public enough to get out somehow. And he’s president. Everything he says isn’t on record and if he can’t figure that out soon it’s gonna keep biting him in the ass.

• Like 2

At this point is anyone really surprised? I'm kinda surprised that no-one's caught onto how he steers the press around with one verbal controversy after another. It's a game to him and everyone eats that shit up. Meanwhile he's actually being a far more effective POTUS than everyone is giving him credit for and checking campaign promises off his list which is practically unheard of in modern politics.

I'm not surprised, but I also don't think he's been very effective. That's just my opinion though, as someone who has been an outspoken critic since before he even ran for office (I thought his tv stuff was stupid, for example).

• Like 3

Not saying Trump should call other countries "Shitholes" as a president, but he also isn't wrong about them being bad places to live. I call a lot of places "Shitholes" all the time (Like Ohio :P ) Most African countries for example, are at war of some sort. Why do you think they all want to leave and migrate to Europe etc? Never once heard someone say they ever want to migrate to an African country. So objectively, one is a nicer place to live.

What's wrong with preferences? I see it as thus:

A) Let in a highly educated, skilled immigrant from a first world country like Norway. Who speaks English, and has a very simar culture to our own. So they can contribute to society guaranteed.

B) Let in an immigrant that may, or may not be educated from a 3rd world country. Whose culture is vastly different than our own, and may or may not speak English, and will have a difficult time intergrating. 

One of these options is less of a risk. I don't see an issue with choosing who you want to invite into the country. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm not surprised, but I also don't think he's been very effective. That's just my opinion though, as someone who has been an outspoken critic since before he even ran for office (I thought his tv stuff was stupid, for example).

I guess it depends on where you're at. Trump ran on a platform of revitalizing rural areas and he's making good on that from what I've seen. There have been over 500 Federally funded road and bridge jobs released for bidding in WV for 2018 and 2019. The company I work for now has had 3 million in bridge projects for 2017. For 2018 we already have over 6 million lined out and we actually had to turn down projects offered to us as subcontractor. That's a big change from the 1.5 million they did in 2016. Putting money into infrastructure may seem a no brainer but it's something Obama's administration really failed to do. Rural America has been neglected for a long time and it's nice to see money coming in that's putting people back to work in something other than environmentally unfriendly industry.

5 minutes ago, Nevyn said:

I guess it depends on where you're at. Trump ran on a platform of revitalizing rural areas and he's making good on that from what I've seen. There have been over 500 Federally funded road and bridge jobs released for bidding in WV for 2018 and 2019. The company I work for now has had 3 million in bridge projects for 2017. For 2018 we already have over 6 million lined out and we actually had to turn down projects offered to us as subcontractor. That's a big change from the 1.5 million they did in 2016. Putting money into infrastructure may seem a no brainer but it's something Obama's administration really failed to do. Rural America has been neglected for a long time and it's nice to see money coming in that's putting people back to work in something other than environmentally unfriendly industry.

I'm noticing tons of projects in my state also getting approved. One includes revitalizing the riverfront area, and a new bridge to connect a neighborhood to the revitalized area. Huge project! 

The construction cones will bloom incredibly this year.

I think it's more about respect than race. It just shows that Donald doesn't respect the countries he referred to like that - regardless of what skin colour the majority of inhabitants happens to have.

• Like 4

I have been told that one of the hardest things about being a politician is being nice to people you'd rather shoot 

Of course he want us :P but he said it while our Prime Minister visited him, and he was happy that we have a trade deficit with US and contribute to 500k workplaces. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I think it's more about respect than race. It just shows that Donald doesn't respect the countries he referred to like that - regardless of what skin colour the majority of inhabitants happens to have.

Respect is earned, not given.

The term you really meant is polite, both something we know Trump isn't. Lol.

Just now, Yato said:

Respect is earned, not given.

That's exactly the reason why Trump (or anyone, for that matter) shouldn't talk about other countries like that. You don't earn respect that way.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Homer said:

That's exactly the reason why Trump (or anyone, for that matter) shouldn't talk about other countries like that. You don't earn respect that way.

Is that why everyone is bending knee to him?

Leaders globally respect one thing, and that is power. Not kindness. Why do you think people don't respect Justin Trudeau? They all think he is a weakling, except the people who were ignorant enough about the world, to vote for the man that said Canada doesn't have any culture.