Repeat after me: Sex! Isn't! Everything!

Nyssa

I know this was probably said in fun, but I actually think it would be a very bad idea to have a country just for asexuals. Yes, it might give asexuals some breathing space. But it would also create an unhealthy culture of exclusivity - "You're a breeder, so you are unworthy to live with us" - and, like most forced binary divisions of people, it would create a lot of unrest for those who are in the middle (yay hyposexuals!) and those who, for whatever reason, are on one side but would prefer the other.

But also, I think that if we keep working at it, the acceptance of asexuality by sexual culture could produce some really positive value changes for everyone involved. We sexuals really need more visible asexuals around to remind us that, as the chant goes, Sex! Isn't! Everything!

Maybe there are some values that asexuals would lose if they cordoned themselves off from sexuals, too. It's hard to say which ones, since with the ubiquity of sex in this culture we've never really had the opportunity to try that out. But diversity is a good thing. Just my 2 cents.

Ooh! Ooh! Hallie's comment reminded me of something my history teacher was talking about. He says that with most things, there's one idea, and then there's another idea, and then the best of both are taken and formed into another, which usually lasts longer. (The actual terms were 'revolutionary', 'revisionist', and 'post-revisionist', but those seem to match less.) So maybe, the first idea in this case is that 'sex shouldn't be a public thing omg showing ankles how shocking'. And then the sexual revolution came along, and everyone was like 'sex is great have lots of it plz!'. And now we can come along and say 'okay, they were sort of right, but they were sort of right too' and forge a new sex-tolerant but not overly obsessive culture.

Wait, or else it was that 'yay sex' was the first idea and 'nay sex' is the second (us) and we can forge a new culture out of that. I'm not sure. That made less sense than I intended. Argh.

- Alan

I wish sex doesn't exist and everyone is produced by asexual reproduction. :roll:

That would be SO cool to watch! :D

Ahem, excuse me, I'm splitting again. *wanders off on four legs*

Although, this would screw up the evolution thing. And fatter people would have the most mitosis happening. And woah, identity fraud. And... hmmm. Things could get complicated...

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that teenagers are having sex... It seems to me that a lot of kids first have sex between 16-20 or something. ::shrugs:: I was 19. That's just when they start getting curious I guess. However, they need to be safe about it, of course- they need to be taught about safe sex. But you can't stop kids from doing it if they want to.

Also, I don't think it's a bad thing to have sex outside of marriage. Cause that's what I did. I don't plan on getting married, and a lot of my sexual friends don't really believe in marriage either, so of course they're still going to have sex. And hey- I didn't even have sex with a boyfriend/girlfriend! It was a friend of mine! :D (I don't plan on having a "boyfriend" or a "girlfriend")

I do think it's a shame that some people will look down on you if you're a virgin. I can understand being surprised that someone's a virgin- but they shouldn't be rude or disrespectful about it.

It seems to me that a lot of kids first have sex between 16-20 or something.

I was thinking more like 14-15 or maybe even younger these days. 2 of my friends lost their virginity at 11 and 15.

Sex isn't everything. Agreed.

But to be fair and to be accurate, sex isn't everything to me but it is important to many others including those whom I care dearly for. And I feel bad about this statement possibly becoming an assault against sexuals and/or perhaps a rallying cry to produce a exclusive space only for As. Some lines ought not to be drawn in the sand between us and them and I have always hoped that there can be acceptance between As and Ss. Allow me to leave this door open.

Archived