Question about physical arousal

BlueSaint

So I have been reading through the forums for a bit and has been comforting to know that I am not the only that has these questions. And while I think I may be asexual there is something that is bothering me.

There is this woman that I consider a good friend; I care deeply about and enjoy spending time with her. I do consider her to be quite lovely, but I have never felt any genuine urge for a sexual relationship with her. My issue is that when she gave me a hug a week or so ago for a few seconds I got a small erection suddenly. It faded just as quickly.

I am just curious if is this a manifestation of sexual attraction and if anyone else here has ever experienced this? Now I am open to the notion that I could be demisexual or gray, it’s just that even after this happened I still don’t feel a sexual desire for my friend. I have affection for her just not that kind.

Again thank you all for your indulgence.

If you're having to question this, it probably wasn't.

Sometimes the body responds to stuff even when the mind doesn't. Like, guys can supposedly get boners from riding a motorcycle.

Philip is correct - sometimes arousal can occur even when sexual attraction doesn't exist.

Too much information alert:

For example, in Britain there is a slang term called "Morning wood". This can happen when a man can wake up with an erection, even though he is alone, isn't thinking about sex and isn't with anyone he considers sexually attractive.

I have also had problems with the passing of blood a good number of years go and had to be examined by my doctor. When I was examined "back there", I (rather embarrasingly) developed an erection, even though I have no sexual attraction to the doctor.

If you're having to question this, it probably wasn't.

Sometimes the body responds to stuff even when the mind doesn't. Like, guys can supposedly get boners from riding a motorcycle.

Well thanks for the response.

My concern was that physical contact seemed to have caused it. This is my main hurdle was all this, not the big issues rather the millions of tiny nagging questions. But it's always that way with me, the little things just eat away at me.

I am in my late 20's, but I really don't socialize much. In general I avoid physical contact, not a fan of touching people unless I have an emotional connection to them (i.e. family or close freinds). It is only in the last few years that I have but any effort into forging a social life. It is due this that I have little expirence with close physical contact especially with women. On the whole I am rather positive I have never been sexually attracted to a person, at least consciously. I am wondering if my subconscious is trying to tell me something or am I over thinking something minor.

And yes a motorcycle can cause arousal. It's from the vibration. Same thing can happen driving down a bumpy road or sitting on an unbalance washing machine.

The penis is not controlled by the brain. More like the other way around. It does what it wants when it wants.

Seriously though random erections are commonplace. Research suggests that most males have 3-5 erections per night whilst asleep. Waking during one of these phases gives the "morning glory" Glyn alluded to, and is the reason behind the myth of a bladder erection.

Libido is mainly hormonal, whereas sexual attraction comes from within the brain.

Archived