• Kind of
  2. 2. Do others consider you a nerd?

• Yes, but only if they know me well
    • Yes, if they get to know me a bit
    • Yes, immediately
    • No, not at all
    • No, but they initially think I'm one
    • I don't know
  3. 3. What do you think about being a nerd?

• It's a good thing
    • It's a good thing, but only in certain situations
    • It's a bad thing
  4. 4. What kind of nerd are you? (select all that apply)

• Good old-fashioned academics nerd
    • Tech nerd
    • Video game nerd
    • Board game nerd
    • Tabletop game nerd (i.e. Dungeons and Dragons)
    • TV nerd
    • Movie nerd
    • Cartoon nerd
    • Comic book nerd
    • Webcomic nerd
    • Anime/manga nerd
    • Plane/train/car etc nerd
    • Art nerd
    • History nerd
    • Poetry/literature nerd
    • Sci-fi/fantasy nerd
    • Animal nerd
    • Other kind of nerd (please explain in the comments)
    • I am not a nerd
  5. 5. Do you like being a nerd?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
    • I am not a nerd

This poll is closed to new votes

Most of the aces I know are self-proclaimed nerds, so I wanted to see if this was an actual thing, or due to most of the people I know being nerds. Please feel free to elaborate in the comments section.

Yup, I think I'm a nerd, people who know me say I¨m a nerd and I like my neerdiness. I think it can be a good thing :)

Notte stellata

I was an academics nerd back in middle school and high school (though in my home country there isn't a concept exactly equivalent to "nerd" in American culture). Now I'm kind of a math nerd, language nerd, and trivia nerd. I like being a nerd. It means you're passionate about something, so I don't see anything bad about it.

So many nerds.

I will print some shirts, okay? x'D

I'm more of a geek than a nerd, although like most geeks and nerds, I'm part both.

Dodecahedron314

A nerd? Who, me?

*looks at entire shelf full of science books*

*looks at entire shelf that was until recently full of textbooks*

*looks at bottom shelf of bookshelf supported entirely by old issues of science journals*

*looks at entire week's worth of science and math pun T-shirts*

*looks at 4 years of random marching band drill charts stuffed in random places*

*looks at way too many classical/baroque music tapes*

*looks at 19 tabs open in background dedicated to dual booting computer with Gentoo Linux*

*looks at YouTube subscription list (PBS Digital Studios, Fermilab, A Cappella Science, SciShow, MinutePhysics, AsapSCIENCE etc.)*

...I don't know what you're talking about. :P

I am a total animal/nature nerd, an art nerd, a literature nerd and a sci fi/fantasy nerd; I'm also a bit of a gamer nerd (but only have Minecraft on the PC, as well as 3DS and DS games, so am not all that experienced), a wannabe comic nerd (I make my own comics but want to read more comics in general), a wannabe history nerd (I'm very interested in certain periods of history, but probably am not quite knowledgeable enough to fully qualify for the official nerd label) a bit of a manga/anime nerd and probably slightly an academic nerd too.

I think there can be flaws with 'nerd culture' as with any kind of pop culture--such as the whole Gamergate thing for one particularly toxic example--but overall I think nerdiness is good. Being passionate and interested in different things is something that ought to be encouraged and celebrated, in my opinion.

GraingerGrainger

hey chemistry nerds

why are you so good at problems?

because you know all the solution.

hur hur

A nerd? Who, me?

*looks at 19 tabs open in background dedicated to dual booting computer with Gentoo Linux*

No, not you. ℝeal nerds know that by heart! :P

*looks at YouTube subscription list (PBS Digital Studios, Fermilab, A Cappella Science, SciShow, MinutePhysics, AsapSCIENCE etc.)*

*Notices you don't have ESA in that list*

People think of me as a philosophy nerd, but that only comes out of me being a raging atheist and capitalist who needs to justify/come up with counterarguments to my beliefs.

Dodecahedron314

A nerd? Who, me?

No, not you. ℝeal nerds know that by heart! :P

Well considering the first/last time I tried it as a high school freshman I ended up with a broken computer for the better part of three months, I figure you can't be too careful, especially since I'll need this computer for summer classes in significantly less than three months and there's no way in Hades I'll be able to get another one in the foreseeable future. I may be a nerd, but I also have this peculiar ability to somehow break everything in the most improbable ways--just ask the poor Gentoo forumgoers who've had to deal with all my bizarre questions. Also, it's been over a year since the last time I was able to work with a Linux system thanks to lack of functional hardware (and yes, I tried everything up to and including repeatedly taking it apart and putting it back together to try and fix it), so cut me some slack. And I'm enough of a nerd to catch that $\mathbb{R}$ you used there. ;)

*Notices you don't have ESA in that list*

Huh, you're right, I don't. That's really weird. *scratches head* I could've sworn I subscribed to them, but I guess not. (Also, that list is by no means exclusive. CrashCourse, Sixty Symbols, Physics Girl, World Science Festival, World Science U, Vsauce, Veritasium, Symmetry Magazine, Numberphile, It's Okay To Be Smart, and Engineer4Free are all on there too, and ESA, NASA, and SpaceX just got added via YouTube tangent surfing. Other than that, the only subscriptions I have are to two random friends with extremely strange tastes in videos whom I added years ago back when I thought I was going to use YouTube like a normal person rather than a person suffering from Science Channel/Discovery Channel (back when Discovery Channel was good, that is) withdrawal, although honestly I don't know why I ever thought that.)

scarletlatitude

bf314b5a5d392c427672198b4b418446.jpg

Skycaptain

I don't consider myself a nerd, nor do others. However looking at the of science books I have, a slight obsession with cars, and the amount of time I spend on AVEN, well...?

DigitalBookDust

I've always been a nerd and proud of it! The first insults hurled at me as a child included "bookworm", "nerd", and "four-eyes". I usually hung out in the library. My friends were either adults or other nerds. We played D&D before anyone else knew about it, were building our own computers, and reading books in Latin. None of us dated.

Now I'm a tea geek and a book/Scrabble/science nerd. I'm educated, intellectual, atheist, and make no bones about it. I have no patience with militant ignorance.

allrightalready

i am proudly a nerd. it made troubles in school but as an adult most people can appreciate someone with a great deal of knowledge.

the what kind portion of the poll looks like a discussion of special interests in my autism groups

GoosePeelings

I'm a nerd. Video games, tabletop RPGs and anime/manga. I also know a lot of trivia.

Musichead2468

I'm a nerd! Also Many of the aces I know are nerds. Including the majority of one's in my local ace meetup group, and the aces I know not in the meetup group. The majority of my friends are into nerdy interests.

There is a great nerd reality show competition on TBS called "King of the Nerds." It includes nerdy competition challenges as well as celebrity guest judges such as George Takei and Yaya Han.

cosmosredshift7

I play a level 6 elf rogue in 1st ed. d&d with a group of friends, and I'm a big anime fan; jjba, panty and stocking, yu yu hakusho, FMA, DragonBall z, etc. Also, video games with mass effect, animal Crossing, pokemon, psychonauts, early Assassin's Creed games, etc. I'm just a very big fan of fantasy, science fiction, and adventure genres.

Grumpy Alien

o-HARRY-POTTER-NERD-570.jpg?1

i definitely enjoy being a gaming nerd! i love playing games like league of legends

Groovy Teacakes

I ticked, as well as poetry and old fashioned academic nerd, other so here is my explanation: I am that kind of person who always has a random and really interesting fact about anything anyone mentions. I just have quite a lot of genral knowledge which isn't academic, but just makes me seem like a nerd. Can't think of a title for that type of nerd, but I think it doesn't fit any of the categories.

This is my second time writing out this poll (turns out pressing "preview" deletes your poll), but I originally had "trivia nerd" up there. That's kind of similar, isn't it? (I am also a trove of random facts I find interesting).

drjohnhwatson

I think I'm a history, fantasy/sci-fi, and literature/poetry nerd, haha. It annoys me when people just push me into the little nerd box. I didn't get hassled as much in school for it...actually, funnily enough, my friends were the ones who were mean to me, checking Redwall out of the library just to read it and mock me for enjoying it, mocking me for liking the Hobbit and LOTR...yeah...

I just get irked when people use my passion as an insult. I remember clearly not that long ago (perhaps a few months now) where my sister's boyfriend's kid (who is eight or nine) asked me why I was the way that I was and I asked what she meant and she was like "you wear a batman shirt and you wear avengers pyjamas why do you do that?" and I said because I like them, which I thought to be the obvious answer and got hostile and said "your dad likes that stuff too!" and she said "yeah but you're a girl." and I said so and she said "ugh you're such a geek." Different than a nerd, but I think it fits here. Doesn't feel very grand to have a pre-teen scoffing at you, let me tell ya.

<_<.

OK, so I see 10 people here (or is it 9 if I don't include myself?) tagged themselves as "Tabletop nerd".

I played D&D (with lots of house rules) for quit a few years, and for a year now I've been playing WoD (Changelings the Lost then Werewolf the Apocalypse).

I found out the thing I have the hardest time playing is...yes, you guessed it right: Sexual attraction. I can play romantic gestures and even "played" a sex scene (more like got into, we didn't actually describe this much), but the attraction part I don't really get and don't really know how to play it.

I also started to think recently about my gender roleplaying: I played both male and female characters before, but there was never any fundamental difference between them related to their gender. My female characters would have been the same as male, and my male character wouldn't change much by being female. I figured that's because I don't actually know what gender means to most people, what makes a person male or female or whatever gender they are.

So- anyone got tips about how to play sexuality? Or gender?

IceHurricane

I don't think I'd consider myself a nerd. Yeah, I like a lot of things (TV shows, anime/manga, video games etc.) but I don't think I'm invested, or know enough, to actually consider myself a nerd in those areas. I wish I was though, haha. I think nerds are awesome.

Toby The Casual Prince

I like to think I'm quite nerdy. And I love to rant about the things I like, so I think people think I'm a nerd too

*kept every textbook ever given*

*spends almost every penny on video games, manga and anime*

*learns because it's fun*

I forgot to vote "other" for being into They Might Be Giants.

I also like cartoons (both feature-length and television-length), board games, and linguistics/world cultures. And random odds and ends.

I'm a wilderness/old fashioned/simplistic living nerd.

Did not answer survey; have no idea if others think I am a nerd.

Archived