Why Asexual Relationships Matter: Whaddaya Think?

AVENguy

Well?  

1. 1.

• Ya done good
    • You crazy
    • Shit son

Please note: some of these ideas are extremes thrown out there to create discussion- this is NOT what I deeply beleive, just some ideas that I want to explore. They can only be strengthened by people pointing out problems, so feel free to fire away.

*looks around*

Comment on what?

Did I miss something?

Yes, asexual relationships matter. They matter as much as any other relationship. I mean, if you're basing importance on whether or not two people have sex then that means 20-somethings who have sex eight times a day have a more relevant relationship than people in decades long marriages.

Edit: Oh, whoops. I should have read further down the 'new posts' page. I see, it's a multi-part question. Durrrrrr.

Cate

It was an interesting 'tirade', I'll give you that right off the bat.

After that I have to say I'm not certain about the whole deal where Asexual relationships, as seen in the last post particularly, are going to as necessary change the way things are. For one thing, there are people who are just wired to focus more strongly on one, or a couple of people rather than a large group of friends. And even in usual friendships, there are different degrees.

I'm finding it difficult to find the right words to describe what I'm thinking here. I'll possibly end up commenting on the indivual threads when I've had a chance to think it through properly too, which is probably a good idea, considering.

They're a thought-provoking set of posts. And anything that makes you sit back and think, is a good thing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts when you have them. I guess that my main points are that

A) Sexuality is not just about instinct, it's the way that most people categorize their relationships

B) The fact that sexuality is used to categoize relationships has a great deal to do with how asexuality is percieved in the sexual world

C) Asexual culture is an implicit challenge to this sexual categorization system.

I agree with A) B) and C) , but I still don't know what the poll is for..

as for asexual relationships..they matter a lot more than sexual ones..at least for me,they are the most important ..I still don't know how they are perceived by the 'sexual world', but after hearing some comments like 'that is impossible, there is no such relationship between two people in love with eachother' and others like 'hmm..interesting..but I still thinkthose guys have serious problems' XD I just started to listen only to the opinions of unsexuals :)

Vicious Trollop

DJ, you make me feel like I need to brush up on my Foucault. :wink:

Need to ruminate a bit on the implications of sex and power in society; I'll be back.

For one thing, there are people who are just wired to focus more strongly on one, or a couple of people rather than a large group of friends. And even in usual friendships, there are different degrees.

Yeah, see, that's the whole issue I struggle with. I like the idea of polyamory, or the idea of all these friendships satisfying a person. But then there's other people who would argue that they are naturally monogamous people, and maybe they are. I don't know. I feel like I don't need a partner, just friends, although some will matter more to me than others, and perhaps at different times there will be one who is most important to me. However, lately I've been thinking that I obsess about this all too much. :lol: I mean, I'm really not into placing my relationships into some sort of hierarchy in the first place, so why not say "These are all my relationships and they all matter and that's it." I'd know when there'd be obvious distinctions like an acquaintance type of relaationship and a best friend type of relationship, but why bother nitpicking between my closest friendships?

Jeez, I always feel like I go off on my own issues on other peoples' threads- I'm sorry if I just did that.

I think it's a problem with language. What's the difference between being polyamorous (haveing "multiple partners") and just having a community? I agree with you that some people would rather have one or a few very important relationship(s), while others like to spread the love. You can be "naturally monogomous", but how you percieve of that primary relationship in your life is a product of the culture you are in.

• 1 month later...

A late response...

What's the difference between being polyamorous (haveing "multiple partners") and just having a community?

I'm not too sure. I like the idea of polyamory a lot more than monogamy, but I don't identify with it at this time. And the reason for that is because, it seems to me, that even with polyamorous people, they distinguish between "friend" and "romantic relationship", and I personally don't see the point.

You can be "naturally monogomous", but how you percieve of that primary relationship in your life is a product of the culture you are in.

Yeah... I think I know what you mean.

Oh yeah...

...blahblahblah...just friends...blahblahblah

I can't believe I wrote that. :shock: Bad me! I hate that term!!!

• 4 weeks later...
str8fuknpimpin

you know, AVENguy, i thought you would uphold the rules of this forum man....

*covers face, broken*

*peeks out between fingers, contining between sniffs*

whatever....i'm cool with it...i'm just gonna carry on being the street police man that i am...

*continues sweeping*

*brush brush brush. dump*

Archived