Public Displays of Affection

artistic_trees

What are your thoughts on physical public displays of affection?  

1. 1.

• They make me feel ill.
    • They make me uncomfortable.
    • I never really pay much attention.
    • It doesn't really bother me to see others kissing, fondling, etc. each other.
    • It doesn't really bother me but shouldn't be seen in public.
    • Physical PDA isn't just for sexuals, so I'm fine with it.

There are lines that can be crossed, but if people feel the need to broadcast that kind of thing, it's none of my concern.

As long as it doesn't involve using pet names and talking in a ridiculously sappy sort of way--- or if it does involve those things and I don't have to overhear it... Wha'ever. If people really feel they've got something to prove to the world, that's just too bad.

I'd prefer something like linking arms and skipping down hallways and such as a "public display of affection" as opposed to necking in front of everybody. Good exercise!

I'm the only one who answered 'it don't bother me', heh. I dunno what it is. I'm not an oggler for that kind of stuff but I DO like seeing that people are in love (hopefully). I dunno, that stuff never bothered me.

-Doc

Than I must be number two. I totally agree with you.

But I don't like it when they are kissing with tongue and everything right in front of my nose. But as long as i can look the other way and there is enough room to go by, good for them they are in love.

I always hated it......but now for the first time Im so into someone that I cant keep my hands of her and enjoy embarrassing everyone :twisted:

Morgan Underhill

In Quebec, it seems it's now considered acceptable for a man to grab his girlfriend or wife's ass in public, everything from a slight pat (that doesn't bothe rme too much) to a long grope (ICK!). What's next? Putting your hand down the other's pants?

I think what bothers me is not the acts themselves, but when couples are act as if they don't care that they are in a private space and/or inapropirate place. A deeper display of (sexual) affection is acceptable at a train station, say, where people part and probably won't see each other for a while (It makes me uncomfertable, but I understand the situation). But do people really have to fondle each other when they are wainting in line at the store (true story: Canadian Tire, the customer service line. And I was in line behind this couple for at least twenty minutes. YUCK!)

A lot of people seem to get a kick at displaying their sexual emontions in public; the more people around, the better it is.

I feel like commenting to these people. Not "get a room", but the opposit, to see if that has a better "shameing" affect.

(To couple all over each other in subway) "Oh yeah, you're scoring now buddy! (etc)"

I feel like a young child going EWWW and pointing a finger when seeing grown-ups kiss when saying all this, but yeah, it often does make me uncomfertable.

:x

It doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't do it myself because I'm not the physically demonstrative type but if that's what they want to do let them get on with it. If anything I find it amusing in a sort of going-to-the-zoo-to-see-the-funny-animals kind of way.

I've been thinking.

I know PDA in public makes some people uncomfortable - or even sick. But I can't always help it.

Sometimes when I'm in public, I just have to read something in order to spend the time. And since paper books can be a lot to lug around at times, I'm pretty much limited to reading what's stored on my PDA -- even if I am in a public place.

:lol: . I have absolutley NOTHING against this form of PDA ;)

I have a confession! I was out with my PDA the other day, and I just couldn't wait til I got home. I took out my stylus and pushed all its buttons in the right places, and it made funny little noises!!! :oops:

There wasn't any option like "Is okay as long as its limited," so I didn't vote. I think certain things are fine, like holding hands, having an arm around one another, leaning a head on a shoulder, or a kiss on the cheek or even the lips as long as its more of a peck. But groping and sticking tongues down throats and practically (or literally) being all over each other makes me ill. Hasn't anyone ever heard of intimacy (or in some cases, just being way too horny) being private matters? Its one thing to show that you love someone, it's another thing to show how.

Ditto, Forbidden Fury. I didn't vote, either.

Oh, the heck. Perhaps I am more repulsed than I thought I am :D

I do not mind seeing things like hugging, kissing, or cuddling, but when it starts turning into a tounge N' gropefest in public, then I think the people in question should take their physical intimacy to a private location. Sexual exibitionism is disgusting.

Neurovore

It depends on what kind of PDA it happens to be. I am fine with hugging, holding hands, and short pecks on the lips or cheek. What gets to me and makes me pretty uncomfortable is when things get passionate or when two people just stare hypnotically into each others' eyes.

I agree with thechort. But I think that people should respect certain places, like the church for example. I once saw a young couple at church who looked like they had mistaken the place for a movie theater.

I agree with thechort. But I think that people should respect certain places, like the church for example. I once saw a young couple at church who looked like they had mistaken the place for a movie theater.

Well - nowadays I hear they're building these things called "megachurches" --- which should be very easy to mistake for a movie theater -- but that's going off-topic.

I dont mind seeing couples holding hands. I think hand holding is kind of romantic and sweet. :) Seeing couples kissing in public does not bother me unless it involves tongues. :shock:

Pretty much my view as well.

Uncomfortable. Not so uncomfortable that I can't stand it...just seems a little bit irritating to see it now and then. I think it would have more meaning not in public, but that's just me. Almost seems like the couples are "showing off" when they do that sometimes, but that's just speaking from a bunch of random teens in my school. I would assume adults have more class.

Depends on how active the display of affection is. Holding hands in public, I have no problem with. A quick kiss, fine. But a long, extended, passionate kiss, or "making out" in public, and I think "Geez, people, get a room!" :lol:

All I see is "keep it tasteful"

there are many ways to show that you love someone, and i don't mind seeing people hugging or kissing, but when they're at each other's throats and making squelchynoises, that's not vry tasteful.

schizophrenic_theologist

erf, well...PDAs make me really uncomfortable, because I don't want to look at the people making them, but it's not -ill- per se. I just don't want to seem voyeuristic, and I want to give people some semblance of privacy. Although slurpy public kisses or barely-covert sex acts gross me out, yeah. Nothing wrong with hugs or just being in close but non-sexual contact; I even enjoy these things myself, in public. I'm just not sure how to act around others who are doing them. Is it still ok to talk to my friend, if she's on her boyfriend's lap? Am I supposed to ignore them? I don't know... :?:

It depends on what kind of PDA it happens to be. I am fine with hugging, holding hands, and short pecks on the lips or cheek. What gets to me and makes me pretty uncomfortable is when things get passionate or when two people just stare hypnotically into each others' eyes.

I agree here. I was once on a 3 hour coach trip and had to sit behind a couple locking-lips for virtually the full 3 hours and there was nowhere else to sit.

I was bloody annoyed by the end of that journey i can tell you.

Nay,negative,bad,immature: it's like they have to validate the private-publically! Also, I'm afraid they might ask me for a 3 way!!!!--IF, my pheremones connect!! :lol:

• 4 months later...
98slbrookes98

I don't mind seeing two people kissing in public. I think its romantic. I would either just smile and go about y own buisiness or just not be bothered by it/ignore it. Why should people hide it?

MysteriousMan
In Quebec, it seems it's now considered acceptable for a man to grab his girlfriend or wife's ass in public, everything from a slight pat (that doesn't bothe rme too much) to a long grope (ICK!). What's next? Putting your hand down the other's pants?

That sort of thing does bug me a little, because it feels less like a show of affection and more like a display of ownership.

Guest brain burner

I have no real problem with people kissing, hugging, holding hands and such in public, but it does make me a bit uncomfortable. Although I think about how funny it would be to tap someone on the shoulder while they're snogging it up and casually say "HAY WHATS UP!?!" :lol:

Children of the sloth

I don't really care if I don't know the people involved. People I know, on the other hand..... Yuck. I get pretty uncomfotable with kissing, hugging, and even hand holding. It seems kind of weird to me, but I don't feel disgusted.

Oddly it only matters to me if it's younger people I know. Adults or married couples don't bother me at all.

Archived