Learning new words stimulates same area of brain as other pleasurable things

Ume_Chika

"A new study has revealed that expanding your vocabulary can be as pleasurable as rewarding activities such as sex, great food and doing drugs."

http://mail.sciencealert.com.au/news/20142910-26417.html

Just wondering how this relates to asexuality as obviously we don't react the same way to sex as most people, how do you find great food and learning, as pleasurable activities?

Learning language(s) gives me such pleasure that I think at times it was the one thing holding me together. Once I saw my little cousin struggling to find the words for "ironing board", for about minute, until it finally hit him - his eyes lit up, a huge smile came to his face and he said exultantly: IRONING BOARD!

My first thought was: I know the feeling bro

"A new study has revealed that expanding your vocabulary can be as pleasurable as rewarding activities such as sex, great food and doing drugs."

Wow, interesting. As a word lover and language enthusiast I'm not surprised to hear that. I'm just a little astonished that this is supposed to be a common phenomenon ... Expanding my vocubulary gives me a natural high, but I thought I was the only one (=the only weirdo). ^_^

I'm not much into sex and drugs (unless coffee counts as a drug), but I'm not so sure about gambling. I can't tell, because I've never tried it! I find great food very pleasurable.

Words are brilliant. Even when they fail me and I end up referring to everything as a 'whatsit' or 'thingumyjig'. And great food is one of the best things on the planet, no question. That and nice music.

Archived