INPUT REQUIRED: Would using Boobs for Asexual Awareness Be Bad Rep? or Awesome Rep?

Removing content because I plan on doing this again next year and don't want people taking my ideas while I am inactive in the AVEN forums.

I requested that your friendly AVEN admod team remove this thread, as it really is of no importance to this community (it was just something personal that I was doing and wanted the communities opinions on it). They denied my request to delete it, saying that this post is part of the community so therefore will remain visible to all.

So now you're left with this piece of crap that makes no sense because I have deleted the opening post and all my comments. Good luck working it all out if you happen to randomly stumble across this. :cake:

Go forth and have fun!

Sure, breasts are often used as sexualized imagery, but I suppose the joke would be that to an asexual, breasts aren't sexualized, and so are just as valid a body part to tattoo as anything else you could choose. ;)

So, you're aware that you won't be able to fundraise on AVEN, right? Just wanting to point that bit out.

I definitely think something like this would get a lot of views and, hopefully, increase awareness of asexuality in the process, because I've never heard of this before and find the idea of a tattooed advertisement a bit strange (as in it's something I'd never think about or consider). I bet there'd be more focus and discussion on tattooed advertisements vs. asexuality with something like this, however, it'd probably still raise awareness of asexuality as a byproduct.

It's your body; if you really want to, go for it, but I am a bit confused as to how this connects to Asexuality week. It almost sounds like you are connecting one thing to the next with a means-to-an-end kind of approach. The Asexual Awareness week is for publicity and the tattoo is to raise money which is to meet your partner. Is this something you really want (would you do it if it didn't mean seeing a partner and if it wasn't Awareness Week) and if not, is there another way to get what you want without permanently altering your body? Just some things to think about.

Are you aware that boobs are an incredibly sensitive part of your body? It wouldn't be like tattooing your arm.

Also, if you happen to mention that you'll be using the proceeds to visit your partner (i.e., be honest with the people who give you money), the asexualty-visibility thing is going to go right out the window and you'll seem just crassly commercial, as well as giving a bad rap to asexuality.

But your purpose seems to be to have funds to meet your partner. What if the potential money-giver asks you if you're going to give the money to an asexuality visibility organization -- what would you say?

Ricecream-man

My only input on it is to be careful how you're promoting asexuality. I'd try and make sure you explain it in its entirety so that there aren't any misconceptions or oversimplification of it. That's what I'm most afraid of. I know I'd be annoyed if I was always classified as a pure demi or a full ace and I'm sure a full ace or aro would be equally annoyed to be considered a demi.

It's your boob so do what you want with it but if you're going to spread awareness for asexuality please make sure to do it properly.

So, you're aware that you won't be able to fundraise on AVEN, right? Just wanting to point that bit out.

No TradeMe, NZ's version of eBay: It's an auction site. I was asking what AVEN thinks of the idea because if everyone says it's horrible and they do not want someone using their boob with any link to Asexual Awareness Week, I would understand that and would not go ahead. It's not fundraising, it's an auction, and a percentage of funds raised from the auction would be donated to the asexual awareness week website. I will clearly state in the auction that it is all about asexuality (meeting my asexual partner, and Asexual Awareness Week) and even if no money is made from it (which is certainly a possibility) anyone who sees the auction is free to ask questions about asexuality, which will be answered on the auction page. :)

I get that, but you would not be allowed to link to the auction etc. on AVEN (not signature, profile, display name, in chat, etc.).

Notte stellata

I don't see anything wrong with using boobs per se, but like some others said, the connection between AAW and the purpose of your auction is a bit far-fetched, and people may get confused. You don't have to achieve two things at once. I think it may be better to make the auction a personal project and spread asexual awareness in some other way.

I think it's an interesting idea. A boob itself isn't sexual, but the world sees it as such, so in a way it's a pro-sex way to get the asexual word out there, which I actually think is a good idea. We aren't anti-sex or against sexy things, which is what a lot of people might assume when they first hear of us. So, having a pro-sex move like showing off your boobs(man, if we turned the word boob and boobs into a drinking game in this thread we would all be dead!) to spread awareness kind of breaks all these possible asexual stereotypes from the get go. It also would really grab people's attention. So, I say good idea and go for it!

Rare Aztec Whstling Chickn

HAHA sure why not. Usse 'em if you got 'em. May as well have fun with it ^_^

littlepersonparadox

If your extensitve in your answering questions go for it. The only problem i can see is some creeps asking/demanding for a photo of your boob after it's inked.\ Also asexual awareness and the trip to your boyfriend is hazy at best so be clear that this is two different things that you happen to be advocating for at the same time. your being clear here on aven in your responses but it comes off a but confuseing so a explanation on the site my have to be slightly more extensive than usual i suggest donig a FAQ page on your auction.

edit: haveing to edit full stences i'm off to bed its 12 am here zzz

I see this as a good idea. And so long as you explain that you're one person acting as a part of the community, not a representative there-of, I see it as a great way to promote that we are diverse too, in using your breasts. Essentially, I'm in the same voat as Etched in this one.

Another thing you could do is specify that the advertising would be for a set period of time, 10 years for instance. Time periods are typical of most advertising agreements and it means you'd be able to get a coverup later on if you wanted, after all you'd have no idea who would be winning the auction.

Archived