Guidelines Discussion

Cate Perfect

That's a very good point which is why the netslang is useless. On the note of the language barrier, as well - tho' this is a bit off topic as it's not "guideline" material. If English is NOT your native language, it'd be a good idea to let people know. ONLY for the reason that if I posted in another language, surely to God I'd word something awkwardly or not get my point across (or even worse a totally DIFFERENT point). So it's handy that people fill in at least the country they're from to go with their wee name thingy to the left (pardon the technical talk but you know what I mean :lol: ).

A funny example is a pen pal of mine always says her dog wants to give me a licking. I know what she means but she doesn't know that it can mean that her dog wants to spank/beat the hell out of me.

1337-sp34k or "Leet-speak" is a type of internet slang, as demonstrated in Dargon's example:

I think j00r nu guidelines r ****ing ubar 1337.

The main part of "1337 5p34k" comes from replacing letters with numbers or symbols. There are a few words that are also changed as well, such as the illustrated "your" to "j00r." Of course "1337 5p34k" is not to be confused with 12 year old AOLer speak, in which OMG, WTF, or LOL must start and end every sentence, and words are spelled using sounds of characters, such as the phrase "c u l8ter." Both are equally annoying, and conjure up the desire to bash people in the face when used in a non-joking manner.

c u l8r - I know WAY too many people who regularly use stuff like that. And these are people around my own age, and I'm twenty years old. It's OK once or twice, I hardly notice it, and on instant messengers, fair play, it's faster to type like that, but COME ON guys! ALL the time???

I could never type like that all the time.

To me it's more effort to use those abbreviations than actual words...like c u l8r I really have to think about that.

Here nad there is okay but all the time...must do something to your brain....

Yeah... I actually take longer to type "l8r" than "later", because my fingers are used to typing that sequence of keys. And even "u" for "you" I would only use on MSN, and even then not that often. Usually I just leave out punctuation such as caps and apostrophes on Messenger, and that's just a habit I've hung on to from when I was 17 or so.

Archived