A few question (for an essay)

Catelam

LenaLuthor

Done. I hope my replies help and I wish you the best of luck with your essay.

Thank you everyone, you were all so great, I wasn't expecting to receive so many answers! I actually turned in my essay now, I am waiting for feedback from my professor before posting a bit about it (I thought you guys might want to know how it went!), and also I will go through the replies I didn't manage to include (the amount has doubled since I handed in the essay!).
Can't wait to share everything :)

Done

oops I was too late o_O

hope your essay went well

Amoeba-Proteus

Done! :D

EDIT: Oh, whoops! I just saw that you handed it in.

Lord Happy Toast

Just to contextualise a bit, my main hypothesis is that asexuality challenges an understanding of sexuality that is only based on the gender one is attracted to (as it happens with hetero/homo/bi-sexuality), and that in the asexual community there is more space to define one’s (a)sexual identity as composed by different factors (so that you might be asexual, but also biromantic, and also polyamourous, etc..).

When you first posted this, there was a question I considered asking, but decided not to lest it interfere with data collection. Is this a testable hypothesis? Personally, I'm not even sure what it means. I've seen lots of people arguing that "X challenges [an/people's/society's] understanding of Y", but usually this isn't in the context of actual hypothesis testing. (In more empirically oriented things, I would expect something more like "X provides evidence against the view Y." But that's usually not the hypothesis itself. (More often, the hypothesis would simply be X, and its said to be important because [if true] it would provide evidence for/against Y.)

Anyway, I don't understand the meaning of "sexuality ... is based on the gender one is attracted to." If "sexuality" is used to mean "sexual orientation", then this is a topic currently debated by scientists studying human sexuality. (Basically everyone agrees that the ways that people vary in terms of their sexual interests and desires is much more complicated than simply the gender of those to whom they are attracted to. People vary in terms of what sorts of activities they find most arousing. They vary in terms of strength of sexual desire. Among people exclusively sexually attracted to women, for example, they vary in terms of what sorts of women they're attracted to).

In the scientific literature, the question of whether "sexual orientation" should be limited to only the gender of people one is attracted to (with respect to one's own gender) is largely a question of definitions. By contrast, the second part of the quoted sentence suggests that your intended meaning of "sexuality" is sexual identity. But even without considering asexuality, there are well-known examples of sexuality-related identities based around things other than simply the gender of who one is attracted to. (tops, bottoms, subs, doms, swingers, etc. etc.)

Archived