Admod Declassifications

Amcan

Hi everyone!

The Admod Team would like for you to be aware that they will resume declassifying threads, which means that discussions in Admods Only forum will be moved to Admod Archives. We have worked hard over the past couple of months to be sure that the guidelines for declassification will protect the privacy of every member to the best of our abilities. The declassifications will be mostly done in chronological order, starting from the oldest threads, with a few exceptions if needed.

For disciplinary and non-disciplinary threads alike, the names of members (non-Admods) and other personally identifying information will be edited out and replaced with something generic, such as "Member1", "Link 1", etc. If anyone wishes for their name to not be redacted, either in a specific thread or forever, they should contact an Admod directly. Also, if you have previously PMed an Admod requesting your name to not be redacted and wish to change your mind, you only have to contact a team member again expressing that wish.

Members who are the primary focus of each disciplinary discussion will be contacted via PM by the Admod redacting the thread, who will ask if they would like for their name and/or PMs to be redacted or not, if they have not previously contacted us.

These are examples of a declassified non-disciplinary thread, and of a disciplinary thread.

Declassifications will generally take place a minimum of 3 months after the thread is opened, with a few exceptions if needed. We hope it will allow members to better understand how decisions are taken regarding the board, members' security and discipline.

Amcan

Information Administrator

• 3 months later...

So has anything actually been declassified in the last three months?

Because the example of the non-disciplinary thread is the most recent thread there.

Most recent doesn't mean anything. When the threads are moved, they go in date order. So we have been declassifying threads from 2010 in the past few months, so those would go in date order in the 2010's (if that makes sense). You won't necessarily SEE that these threads have been moved unless you've memorized what threads are already there.

Edit: They'll go in date order of the last posted post in that thread.

Okay thanks.

Are you guys declassifying them in chronological order?

Janus the Fox
What was the decision based on the order? I wonder if adding a comment to a declassified thread to rearrange the order so members are alerted to it and is more visible without too much searching for it, or any other advantage it could bring. As I find with the threads going there, there's an issue with it going unannounced and silent without regularly checking it.
5_โ™ฆโ™ฃ

The threads are locked then declassified. And obviously, you can't reply to locked threads.

The purpose of declassifying threads is not to "bump" it to the top of the list in the Admods Archives thread, but to preserve the thread as it was at the time of locking it in the Admods Only forum.

Honestly, now that we *know* that there are threads being declassified, I don't see why it should be such a big deal that it's not super easy to spot the new ones. We as a community had asked for a way of seeing how disciplinary decisions were made, and a way of finding out more information about warns and the like. This *does* provide that. Admittedly, I'm sure the admods have a huge backlog to get through, but I'm also sure that they will at some point catch up and "new" threads will start being more visible.

Besides, I would think that relatively few people have an interest in reading through *each and every* declassified thread. Reading a just few can give perspective on the whole backroom process and how decisions are made, if that's your goal. If if there is a particular decision you're interested in - I would imagine that you could ask the admod team of that decision has been declassified yet.

Honestly, now that we *know* that there are threads being declassified, I don't see why it should be such a big deal that it's not super easy to spot the new ones. We as a community had asked for a way of seeing how disciplinary decisions were made, and a way of finding out more information about warns and the like. This *does* provide that. Admittedly, I'm sure the admods have a huge backlog to get through, but I'm also sure that they will at some point catch up and "new" threads will start being more visible.

Besides, I would think that relatively few people have an interest in reading through *each and every* declassified thread. Reading a just few can give perspective on the whole backroom process and how decisions are made, if that's your goal. If if there is a particular decision you're interested in - I would imagine that you could ask the admod team of that decision has been declassified yet.

For the most part I just want to see the decisions involving me (including the ones I don't know about). So yeah, I'd like to be able to spot specific threads. Also, I doubt the current admod team moderates like how they did in 2010 considering how different the admod team back then.

For the most part I just want to see the decisions involving me (including the ones I don't know about). So yeah, I'd like to be able to spot specific threads.

You will be PMed before any thread involving you (at least majorly) is declassified, because we will ask you if you want to have your name removed or visible to everyone.

• 1 year later...

Dear Members,

In late February 2015, a request was received by the Admod Team that sparked discussions pertaining to the usefulness, procedures and impact of Declassification. The topic was thoroughly discussed. The final decision was to not prioritize declassification of report threads based on receiving a request. Due to the emergence of new information, the policy was again brought into question. During these second round of discussions the Admod Team approached an impasse.

Therefore, the policy that was established in the initial discussion and polling of Declassifications of Report Threads by Request will remain, which is the following:

Declassification requests for report threads will not be accepted for the time being.

The wait time until an Admod/ Report thread is eligible for declassification will be 3 Months from the final post.

As the discussion regarding requests for the declassification of report threads ended on a stalemate, the above policy is a temporary one and is not finalized. The Admod Team has decided to take some time to reflect on the subject of Declassification as a whole. The Admod Team will resume this discussion on June 1st, 2015.

Sincerely,

Lia

Administrator

Archived