Asexuality Classified as an Orientation on Scarleteen

Palovana

liminalbalance

thank you for this post. i'm 'questioning'. this site has kept me sane and steady these last few days.

If there's one complaint, it's the assumption that everyone has a sexual orientation. Orientations are usually defined by the attraction based on the direction of attraction. Come on, people that don't have a defined direction of attraction exists. I'm one of them and so is the other pomosexuals and/or apasexuals. Oh and I understand that they assume everyone has a sexual orientation because of the emphasis on labels.

*Goes to contact them about this complaint and I doubt they'll listen because but, but everyone has a sexual orientation*

• 2 weeks later...
Great Thief Yatagarasu

If there's one complaint, it's the assumption that everyone has a sexual orientation. Orientations are usually defined by the attraction based on the direction of attraction. Come on, people that don't have a defined direction of attraction exists. I'm one of them and so is the other pomosexuals and/or apasexuals. Oh and I understand that they assume everyone has a sexual orientation because of the emphasis on labels.

*Goes to contact them about this complaint and I doubt they'll listen because but, but everyone has a sexual orientation*

I think they make that point, though, at least in other articles - this one guy did an article on their about how he refused to class himself as straight, gay, bi or asexual because he wanted to be viewed as "himself" and he felt labels were too restricting (like, he felt that saying he was straight either bought him friends who would have rejected him for being bi or gay or put off gay people who wanted to be his friends, and he realised that calling himself straight meant that he'd blocked out any and all same-sex attractions that he'd had, kinda like I did). So they do acknowledge that people can be beyond orientation.