Grey-A Vs Demi: What's the Difference?

NoTragedyInThat

NoTragedyInThat

I'm sorry to ask such a stupid question but I'm a little confused...What is the difference between a Grey-A and a Demi? Once again, sorry. I'm just a bit confused...

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

Gray A is the in between area of sexual and asexual and more of an Umbrella term.

Demisexual is more specific for of Gray A in which you only become sexually attracted to someone after you develop a close emotional connection.

Gray-A is where you sometimes experience sexual attraction. Demi is more specific in that you only experience sexual attraction if you've developed a relationship with someone first. So Gray-A is a broad area and demi is a specific section of that area.

I was always under the impression that Demi's were a subset of Grey-A's.

They are.

Gray-A is an "universal" term which describes people who are not fully sexual nor fully asexual.

One of the criteria for gray-A are "experiences sexual attraction only under specific circumstances", and for demisexuals it means after establishing strong emotional connection with certain person.

I identify myself as gray-A but I´m not demisexual surely. I´ve been sexually attracted to one person so far, which is IMO only exception which confirms the rule. One person is pretty low number for someone of my age (28), so my grayness could be described as "experience sexual attraction so rarely that it doesn´t even matter". :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused with all these things. I think I am Demi. I definately want sex if there is love but do I love it as much as a sexual person? I don't think so. I have been lost with all the categories but some people say I am sexual with just less desire but I don't care about fitting in any more

For the difference, agreeing with the definitions above. I always saw it as gray A can experiences sexual attraction, but it's rare. And Demi can under a very specific set of circumstances, namely strong emotional investment.

I don't think you have to fit one or decide when your not sure. I put myself as both or neither I'm not sure and I'm not in a hurry to figure it out.

Janus the Fox

Fun fact: there can be people that can identify as Demisexual and Gray-A. This means gaining an emotional connection, feeling sexual attraction explained by the term Gray-A within if any gender preference. The same is true for romantic attraction.

E.G Demi-romantic Grey-aromantic/Demi-sexual Gray-A - pan is a possibility...

... Or discard the labels and just take it is it happens, one separate experience at a time.

Gray-A is where you sometimes experience sexual attraction. Demi is more specific in that you only experience sexual attraction if you've developed a relationship with someone first. So Gray-A is a broad area and demi is a specific section of that area.

I think this is short and sweet and it has made understand the differencies between the two in very few words. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Basically.....there isn't much of a difference.

Um... There is. Because I'm definitely grey and not demi. But a demi can be considered a subset of grey.

There are some good simple definitions here.

Basically.....there isn't much of a difference.

Um... There is. Because I'm definitely grey and not demi. But a demi can be considered a subset of grey.

There are some good simple definitions here.

Hmmm....sorry I believed that there wasn't. I'll retract my statement made earlier to ensure that the original poster is not given the wrong information.

SpecialFXLady

I describe myself as Grey-A, but like demisexual folks I require some sort of established connection to feel comfortable having a sexual encounter. I don't want sex without that connection, but I know some demi folks who have fwb relationships, and that type of relationship holds no interest whatsoever for me.

So it's easier to just say that I'm Grey, because I feel that I have more wiggle-room. Either way, the person has to get to know me for a long time before I even know if I'm interested, so they're scared off by the label or they're sticking around and at that point it doesn't matter what I call myself because they're making the effort to get to know me.

Archived