Close-minded?

1Eleven1

Over dinner tonight, my mom asked me if I was interested in any guys on campus, as in dating them. We don't talk about my relationships very much (mainly because I'm not very good at discussing it but they've been decently supportive). She knows I'm in an online relationship and that I do not see my boyfriend very much. So when I said "No.. I mean, I am in a relationship..", she said "Yeah, but you hardly see each other. Are you going to go through life without dating anyone else?". I said I didn't know, and she sensed I was uncomfortable, so she told me she understood that and dropped the conversation. But at the same time, should I be interested in dating other people? I'm happy with my boyfriend, but I've never dated anyone else either. I've never thought about exposing myself to other people, and I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Also, considering that I'm asexual, I don't even know if I will ever find someone else I'm comfortable with. I don't want to cheat on my boyfriend and I love him a lot, of course, but am I being very close-minded? Is it okay for me to be comfortable in my relationship?

Notte stellata

I think your mom's view is problematic. Being faithful to your relationship doesn't mean you're close-minded, and it doesn't matter it's long-distance or not. An LDR isn't any less legitimate than a local relationship.

Contrary to what your mother said I think you're very open-minded. Not everybody is able to manage with a long distance relationship!

I think your mom's view is problematic. Being faithful to your relationship doesn't mean you're close-minded, and it doesn't matter it's long-distance or not. An LDR isn't any less legitimate than a local relationship.

This. (Agreeing with you again, starry. Who'd have guessed? :D)

1Eleven1, seeing as there's nothing in your OP suggesting that you and your BF have agreed upon an open/poly arrangement, I'd consider it much more problematic if you were dating others. I'm personally not into monogamy, but something I'm a lot less into still is cheating and dishonesty... so I think your mom's view is questionable, to say the least. If cheating is a sign of open-mindedness, then I sure hope I'll stay a stubborn-ass bigot till the day I die. :lol:

Thanks for the perspectives! I felt pretty comfortable until my mom brought it up. So I think I'll just go at my own pace without making myself feel guilty about something I'm happy about. Thank you!

LDR can be very hard. My current SO and I spent almost the first two years as long distance, only meeting in person three times before I moved closer for college (but still not the same city). I didn't have any interest in dating anyone in my surroundings the entire time, and that was just fine. I had another LDR before where my interests were a bit more conflicted and really, if you aren't able to devote yourself to the one you have chosen or are very interested in pursuing other options, then that is a sign that maybe your current choice is not in your best interest. (open/poly relationships not included)

There's something to be said for having a variety of experiences, dating and otherwise. I don't think your mom did anything at all wrong. She asked you a question and she accepted your answer. I'd also be inclined to suggest you date other people, but I'd also expect that you wouldn't do it... which is probably exactly where your mom is too, mentally.

Archived