I'm embarassed!

confused24/7

confused24/7

Hi. I'm a 20 year-old female in college. I live in a dorm and I feel embarrassed that my roommates have heard me masturbating. I thought I was quiet and that no one was around but its hard to keep track of everyone who's in my dorm. Ive only done it twice in my dorm by the way. Yet, I hear them talking about me masturbating and making fun of me because of it, but there's nothing I can do about that since I don't want to admit that I do what I do. They've told other people and I know this for a fact because I literally heard them talking about me too. I just want to know if other people, especially if other females, masturbate. I'm trying to stop, but I cannot change the past. I just feel extremely judged and embarrassed and just want to know how other people feel about this situation whether you are thinking in terms of my situation or masturbating in general.

PS: I go to a Christian college too which makes the situation worse.

Hi. I'm a 20 year-old female in college. I live in a dorm and I feel embarrassed that my roommates have heard me masturbating. I thought I was quiet and that no one was around but its hard to keep track of everyone who's in my dorm. Ive only done it twice in my dorm by the way. Yet, I hear them talking about me masturbating and making fun of me because of it, but there's nothing I can do about that since I don't want to admit that I do what I do. They've told other people and I know this for a fact because I literally heard them talking about me too. I just want to know if other people, especially if other females, masturbate. I'm trying to stop, but I cannot change the past. I just feel extremely judged and embarrassed and just want to know how other people feel about this situation whether you are thinking in terms of my situation or masturbating in general.

PS: I go to a Christian college too which makes the situation worse.

Confused 24/7 - Don't let other people shun and shame you for masturbating. There is nothing wrong with it. And making fun of you for it is childish and stupid. Those people are so immature that they are not worth your embarrassment.

My advice is the next time you hear them talking about you: walk in wherever they are and say, "Yeah, I masturbate. Most people do. Masturbation is awesome, doesn't harm anyone and it is nothing to be embarrassed about."

Then wait for their reaction. No matter what, show indifference to how they feel about masturbation. Show confidence in who you are. They will only attack you if they think you care about what they think of you.

As for being in a Christian college - I'm sorry that you are in that situation... What are you studying?

Quill Pen Gentleman

Sympathy :cake: for you. I feel really bad for you, and your roomates make me agry. :evil: Shame on them for making fun of you.

To an extent, I can emphathize with you. When I was in highschool, I was listening to these people talk. They were out in the open, so it wasn't a private conversation. It went like this:

"Hey you know that one girl?"

"Yeah."

"I heard she fingers herself."

"That's so gross."

I couldn't help but feel bad for the girl they were talking about, but I also could not help thinking: "What's wrong with her fingering herself?"

I've never seen why it's such an "evil" thing or stupid thing.

My two cents: These people are obviously immature and most likely very insecure about themselves. If you are cool with masturbating, then by all means continue. Ignoring these people would let them know that you don't care how they think, but a good thing to perhaps do is request for a possible room change.

And to answer your questions if females masturbate: Yes they do. Probably not all females, but there are probably a lot of females that do. You are not alone, and it's okay. You are not stupid, desperate, or lonely. You are just doing something that your body wants naturally, there is nothing wrong in that. If it were wrong, then the argument can go both ways and say that any type of sexual intercourse is wrong. I would not be surprised if your roomates also masturbate. If anyone has a moderate to high sex drive there's really only two options to quell that desire: screw oneself or screw somebody else. Or ignore it.

I hope this helps, and best of luck to you. :cake:

Wow your room mates sound very immature. I don't masturbate, but plenty of people do, girls included. It is not dirty or shameful or whstever they think. If you enjoy it then do it and don't let anyone make you feel bad.

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

Why you want to stop doing something you like? and don't they masturbate too? What you do many others are doing it even females, not to mention that some libidinous asexual do it too. If I was you I would say ok. I have my need and you aren't what I want to please them, so yes, I masturbate, simple like that.

Guest member25959

Ignore them. Or, better yet, mock them back? I dunno, it's a rather stupid situation. I'm willing to bet that they've all done the same thing, so it's stupid of them to mock someone else for doing so. Also, forget the past, don't let it distort the future too much.

Trava u doma

Aww, Christian college...

I'm sorry, OP :cake: I can't really think of any advice. I mean, it doesn't seem to me like masturbation should be such a big deal, so, hmm, don't feel embarrassed. It just sucks it's Christian college...

But, I admit, I mostly post here just to say I loved this one...

I have my need and you aren't what I want to please them, so yes, I masturbate, simple like that.

I'm a girl and I masturbate. Why should I be embarrassed it's natural for my body to feel like that.

I don't get why they are acting like a bunch of immature idiots ( if anything I want to bet they do it as well ).

I agree with the user who said show indifference towards it " Yeah you masturbate ? So what ? <_<

Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments being expressed. It is one of the many things in society that still have a degree of taboo that is not deserving. It totally perplexes me when people are embarassed to admit they masturbate (and thereby react like the people you describe) yet somehow feel a sense of pride or achievement in activities that actually harm themselves or others (eg. experimenting with drugs, etc). I know that was a bit of an extreme example, but the principle remains I think. They are just immature - masturbation is enjoyed across genders, sexualities, classes and cultures. Life is more important than to be winding people up like that.

Quill Pen Gentleman

Wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments being expressed. It is one of the many things in society that still have a degree of taboo that is not deserving. It totally perplexes me when people are embarassed to admit they masturbate (and thereby react like the people you describe) yet somehow feel a sense of pride or achievement in activities that actually harm themselves or others (eg. experimenting with drugs, etc). I know that was a bit of an extreme example, but the principle remains I think. They are just immature - masturbation is enjoyed across genders, sexualities, classes and cultures. Life is more important than to be winding people up like that.

Just adding on to your quote, a good example would be that people have sex and a lot of people take pride in boasting about their sexual experiences.

Sorry to hear you've been having a hard time at college! :cake:

There's not a lot I can add that hasn't already been said by other users. However, for people in College they seem extremely pathetic and childish! My advice is just ignore them, unless you feel it would put a stop to the gossip by directly confronting them on the matter. From what you’ve said, speaking to them about it will most likely just antagonise them and give them the reaction they seem to be trying to provoke from you.

To answer your question: it’s understandable why you feel embarrassed but it’s a natural part of life and the human body. Most sexual females I know masturbate as do many asexual females (myself included, although it’s a rare occurrence due to me having an extremely low libido). The important thing to remember is that when it comes to things like this, what’s ‘normal’ doesn’t matter, what feels right for you is!

I hope you manage to work things out! :)

Archived