40's

That sound exhausting, but I think I am just lazy.

I usually refer to the day as V.D. Lol

• Like 4

Today, of all days, a celebrated chocolatier has announced that they are closing their factory in our town :(

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Andrew001 said:

Thinking when i go across, forget about packing clothes just fill a suit case with Cadbury Dairy Milk, I'll make a fortune :P

I found the difference was in America they use sour milk, where as over here we use fresh milk

We get at least some of the Cadbury line over here, as well as other imported chocolate.  There are also American chocolatiers who use fresh milk, among other quality ingredients.  We've got a very wide range, though it's true the most popular, cheap, easily accessible brands are pretty terrible, and it sounds like that's what you got (probably something put out by Hershey's or Nestle, I'm guessing).  I can't eat that, both because of the risk of cross-contamination with gluten, and because it just tastes like eating sugared wax to me.  For affordable chocolate, I usually pick up Ghirardelli's, the darker the better, but most of the time, I spend a bit more, because I know I can eat less and get more satisfaction out of it.  My favorite brand is Vosges, which is hard to find if you don't have a Whole Foods convenient to you, but Chuao is also good, and I've been trying some brands carried by my local organic and food allergy-conscious grocery store. :D

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Seajules said:

My favorite brand is Vosges

I'll tell her to try it (or stock some for when i visit)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Andrew001 said:

I'll tell her to try it (or stock some for when i visit)

I hope she does.  I just discovered the other nearby specialty grocery store has started carrying some Vosges bars.  I tried a new flavor, Mint Matcha, and was reminded all over again of why the brand is my favorite.

• Like 2
SweetAndSassy

All this chocolate talk is making me hungry.  As many of you have pointed out, the brand makes a big difference.  I will be hitting the after V-day sales tomorrow.  I will also be trying some of the brands recommended, thanks :) 

• Like 2
SweetAndSassy

So on a non-chocolate related topic, please forgive me for being so "technologically challenged", but has anyone else had a hard time uploading a pic on this site?  I tried different pics, but kept getting a message telling me to get help from tech support, any ideas as to what that was about?

• Like 1

I started an account with Imgur.

I just post the picture there and it gives me an option to use a direct link.

I insert the link in the "Insert other media" and "Insert image from URL."

So far that has been working fine for me.

• Like 2

I love this poem - always get a lump in my throat when I read it - LOVE my boys :)

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it’s just a dog," or, "that’s a lot of money for just a dog.

They don’t understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog.

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog.

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it’s "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise.

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it’s not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what’s good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it’s not "just a dog", but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man or woman.

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog" just smile... because they "just don’t understand.

by Richard Biby

• Like 5

Does anyone else feel lonely because the people we are attracted to are sexual and we know we could never be in a relationship with them?

• Like 2

Yeah, the few times I feel attracted to anyone. (I am thankful that doesn't happen too often now.)

I usually enjoy the elation of liking someone romantically, but I hate having to deal with the depression I go through knowing it is highly improbable.

I usually get over it eventually.

I guess if I was a little more motivated to actually make something happen this would all suck, but I am comfortable with my platonic connections.

• Like 2

@Tanwen what a sweet poem.  I totally agree!

1 hour ago, gothsoul said:

Does anyone else feel lonely because the people we are attracted to are sexual and we know we could never be in a relationship with them?

Sure.  Places like AVEN and having opportunities to meet other aces helps.  Perhaps checking out the Meetup Mart, maybe there is a Chicago thread.  

• Like 2
purplepassion

I just turned 41 three weeks ago so I guess I'm not as wise as most of you are... but hopefully getting there :D When I turned 40 last year a friend of mine told me that 40 is the age when you start caring less about what other people think and care more about how you feel which I think led me to realize and embrace my asexuality. Late bloomer you might say :D 

• Like 5

@purplepassion, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

• Like 3
SweetAndSassy

Hello all, since many of us here are, ahem no longer 21,  I was curious to hear your opinion on exercising.  I know some of you are probably booing me right now, but I got back into exercising about a year ago for health reasons and I really enjoy it now because I believe I gives me more energy to "deal with life".  Anyone else out there hooked on endorphins?

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SweetAndSassy said:

Hello all, since many of us here are, ahem no longer 21,  I was curious to hear your opinion on exercising.  I know some of you are probably booing me right now, but I got back into exercising about a year ago for health reasons and I really enjoy it now because I believe I gives me more energy to "deal with life".  Anyone else out there hooked on endorphins?

I work out a couple of times per week, which is the minimum for me to stay somewhat fit.  I also practice yoga at least once per week.  can't say I enjoy exercising for the sake of exercise, I just do it to keep from getting fat in the winter and for staying fit in the summer.   I prefer to get my physical activity through work, hobbies, hikes or projects.

• Like 2
SweetAndSassy

I definitely consider hiking exercise @Muledeer  and yes I have started getting into yoga because it is a great stress reduces :)

• Like 1

I walk to work every day. It's about 25 minutes each way, and I do it right through the cold Canadian winters. It's been my primary exercise for 15+ years -- and I love it!

• Like 2

I don't exercise in any systematic way, and surely don't get enough physical activity in other ways either (being too much of a homebody). But regular physical activity is a good thing and should be at least somewhere up there on our priorities. I guess the best thing for me would be some sort of exercise equipment in my house, so I could do it and stay at home at the same time. I do get out for long walks once in a while, but definitely not often enough.

• Like 2

I also enjoy walking, but I seriously need to do more of it.

I do really enjoy stabbing people with foam when I LARP.

I have started doing light resistant training and stretching in the morning as well.

• Like 2
SweetAndSassy

Keep up the good work everyone!  Exercising in any form is good, especially for those of us who love chocolate.  Sorry, it seems I have a  one track mind, lol.

• Like 3

I walk up the hill from home to social club -_-

• Like 3

I have a mini gym in my house.  I workout about 2 to 3 times per week.  I'm interested in possibly walking to work.  I'm not sure how practical it would be since I carry a lot of stuff and I typically run errands after.  Perhaps doing it once per week or something.  If I lived closer I definitely would do it on a regular basis.  I'm interested in yoga.  Not sure if I would join a class or do it at home.  

• Like 4

I need to exercise more, but It's especially hard when you already have chronic pain issues and it's in the middle of winter. I try to at least walk around the house frequently, but the pain is a great inhibiter.

• Like 2