A Post for the 50+ lot

Shaggy

I do realise that this Forum has been set up with no age limitation for Posters.

But ...

I do wish there were a Closed Forum for AVENites aged 50+ :(

Topic Headings ... Who in their 20s; Who in their 30s;

even, Who in their 40s; ... :wacko:

If I do wish to read Posts containing

Fresh Ideas

uncontaminated by the Burden of Experience

& Understandings

that come from a Lifetime of Living ....

There is sooooooo much of AVEN I can Visit.

Just saying, ... Like ...

Hi Dear :)

I do visit quite often ...

... I am rarely moved to Post!

Due, no doubt, to my increasingly Curmudgeonly Nature. :D

BTW, and to underline said Nature ...

Your "Sitwell" siggy peeves me.

'Twas the sort of flippant comment she might have made in Her 20s. :P

"There are Many Truths,

most too disturbing for Human consideration

beyond a fleeting Moment." .... Shaggy

:cake::cake::cake:

But our view of the truth is often coloured by our point of view ;)

And when you have no way of changing it, the only thing you have left, is the way you look at it.. :)

I'm 55 and don't see any need for a closed 50+ forum. What kinds of topics would we expect there? Or is the idea that people under 50 wouldn't be able to chime in? It would probably be pretty dead anyway. Just look at how little traffic the Older forum gets from people who are 50+. Also, I've never cared much for dividing people into exclusionary groups.

anyway, those are my thoughts on the idea. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Daveb. While some of the posts by younger members may seem to be naive by the standards of us older folks. (celebrated the 40th anniversary of my 18th birthday this year) I see benefits going both ways. For them they get to see that for many of us being asexual is a lifelong process of coming to terms with who we are. For us we sometimes get to see a view of our thoughts, feelings and perceptions that are not clouded by a lifetime of baggage. I live with a woman as a housemate and friend who is asexual as well. We have been together for over close to 10 years now as "Partners in Crime." We have many friends in marriages who after menopause have lost all interest in sex. Are they staying together out of habit or has their relationship matured like fine wine past the point of intimacy? I think it is both and each relationship is individual. I think, and I could be corrected, that as our age peers in out social network experience a reduction in testosterone or go though menopause depending on gender, the social pressures we experience to be expected to be sexually inclined are reduced as well.

We carry the burden of always having been less sexually inclined. We need to let that go and realize that those friendships we make today are based less on the biological imperative of others to reproduce and more on mutual respect and admiration and in my humble opinion are more genuine. I am new to this Network and wrote a book today introducing my self but it is the first time I have ever felt safe to express what was always in the back of my mind without being judged. I hope that we will not judge others based on our own baggage or what we perceive to be their naivete.

Leigh

Welcome, Leigh! Have some :cake:

Your living arrangement sounds like a very good one. :)

I agree with Shaggy. I think there may be more 50+ on AVEN than we know, but they might be a bit cowed by all the teens talking about their parents and high school and stuff. It wasn't that way when I joined 4 years ago; there seemed to be a much greater range of ages then.

Welcome, Leigh! Have some :cake:

Your living arrangement sounds like a very good one. :)

I agree with Shaggy. I think there may be more 50+ on AVEN than we know, but they might be a bit cowed by all the teens talking about their parents and high school and stuff. It wasn't that way when I joined 4 years ago; there seemed to be a much greater range of ages then.

Yes, I do agree with that..... Also, when going to meets in this last year, there is only one other person around my age who has also attended, the next oldest is usually in their mid-thirties :)

(Even more depressing when you find yourself on SAGA's mailing list.. duh :wacko: )

My living arrangement is even better then mentioned in the post. Peggy's and my relationship always been asexual and we have separate bedrooms and have never even cuddled. For legal medical reasons we allow the state and province to define us as common-law spouse.

I also live with one of my brothers who is also asexual but not computer inclined, an old friend from elementary school days who is a veteran who suffers from PTSD and has no desires as a side effect of his medications, and my 18 y/o adopted son who is also asexual. (In a poker game I guess we would be known as the five ACES and we would probably be shot for cheating.)

I love a household that has no sexual tension but all the friendship and companionship that one desires in life without the physical contact. My son does sleep in my bed most of the time as he is afraid of snakes. He was raised in an orphanage in Africa where if one of the kids ran away the nun's told them he was eaten by a python. (This may have been true however as it is a problem in the African bush, so don't blame the sisters) Other then the occasional arm across the chest, or the smack in the face, that is all the contact we have ever had sleeping together. He has slept in my bed since he was 9 and as he isn't looking for anyone to share his bed, he sees no reason to move to his own. He is at college now and I have finally learned the joy of having the whole bed to myself. When he comes home on break or the occasional weekend for me to do his laundry, he falls asleep on the floor in front of the "football" game on TV till he is awakened in the night, then he comes to my room. I wonder what he does at school though as he has a private room. He was disgusted by his roommate's sexual athletics and asked to be moved. I have to say that I was proud of him for advocating for himself in not wanting a smoker, drinker, sexually addicted adolescent for a room mate.

Leigh

Archived