anyone past 50 on here?

8 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@Muledeer Haha! Love it when a journalist has a sense of humour...now- how can we get a fun headline like that for Brexit?

Withdrawal agreement May be Barnier than remaining.?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

... We started dating in early December, 1996, and had been married 20 years this past August.

Ah, that’s a very long time. That’s going to take considerable readjustment. That’s difficult. I‘d like to ask if there’s anything I can do, but you’re on the other side of the ocean. 😕. *hugs* 🌸

• Like 8

Yeah, that’s why the whole ace/grey/just gave up thing is so hard to sort out... it’s been so long.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I’m having a crappy day.  I have a respiratory thing, had the first snowy commute of the season, and then came home to find my partner all packed up and ready to move across country.  Tonite.  As in, he left to stop over at a friend’s in Cleveland about half an hour after I got home.  As I’ve said elsewhere we’ve been having issues but he’d said he was not going to decide whether or not he wanted to break up while he was still unemployed so this caught me pretty off-guard.

Ohhhh...ryyyyynn.... 

I am so, so sorry.  What a terrible shock.  *virtual hugs and shoulder to cry on*  Even when you think something might happen someday, that is very different than it actually happening now, especially when it catches you by surprise.  My ex and I continued to room together for three and a half years after our divorce, and we had talked about the possibility of one or the other wanting to live on their own someday, but his move out was also a shock.  A little bit more warning than yours, i.e., he said he'd found an apartment, and two days later he was gone.

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

But yeah, clearly much more about what he can handle than about what might work best logistically for me.

Yes.  People do the things they do for so many reasons.  

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

A little bit more warning than yours, i.e., he said he'd found an apartment, and two days later he was gone.

Yeah, similar situation even if you were a little farther along in the process.  Thanks for the hugs!

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

That too sounds awful @pickles mcgee, there seems to be no comfortable way of splitting up. For me, I had to get to a safe place with a 6 week old baby till he was unceremoniously hunted down and deported. I was just thankful to still be alive.

@lapat67...good one!😄

Great gif @Tja...just imagine it's all of us around you @ryn2. We got you. Take it easy for a while, do what's good for you. 

I’ve been listening to Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo album, which is excellent. This one tune on there is a lot of fun and the singing towards the end makes me laugh. Thought it might cheer up those of you who are feeling blue lately. Here it is in the spoiler box...

Spoiler

• Like 10

Hope all those that are feeling down are managing OK and feel better soon.  Sorry for your breakup @ryn2.

The air quality in the San Francisco bay area was really bad today.  I'm glad I live in the south where it wasn't quite as bad.  It is unhealthy in the south while it is very unhealthy north of me (both San Francisco and Oakland).   I have seen pictures from Sacramento that look horrid.  The smoke is blocking the sun and it is like a fog for visibility but its smoke!   I have been checking the air quality forecasts and am hoping that on Saturday, the air quality will fall below 150 (over 150 is unhealthy) like predicted and I can go on the hike I have planned.

Tomorrow I head to San Francisco to participate in a brain injury study.  I am one of the control people for my brother who is the one with a brain injury.  I think tomorrow is the final set of tests to be taken and then the study is over for me.  It is all sorts of memory tests.   I get paid a little money for it but I am mostly doing it so more information can be learned about how to treat brain injuries etc.  After I finish the tests, I'll head to my brother's home and visit him for a few hours.   

Cathy

• Like 14
9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

For me, I had to get to a safe place with a 6 week old baby till he was unceremoniously hunted down and deported. I was just thankful to still be alive.

Yikes!  No pressure, but it sounds like there's more to the story...

9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

That too sounds awful @pickles mcgee,

The more to my story is that my ex got embarrassed when my brother came to stay with us for two months (to move all of his stuff out of my attic and help me with home repairs) because he was very depressed at that time and could only lay on the couch all day.  He didn't want someone outside of me to see him like that.  He didn't tell me the reason at the time, but I did the math (brother comes and ex moves out), and when I asked him about it later he said yes.

7 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I’ve been listening to Frank Zappa

Speaking of music, @Gentle Giant, I just got back from seeing the film Bohemian Rhapsody*.  Not a perfect movie, but I loved it (though--spoiler!--it has to follow the traditional musician/dissolute lifestyle story arc).  I was in the perfect mood for a movie full of rock music.

(*For those in Portland, it is playing at the St. Johns theater for 6 bucks.)

3 hours ago, cdrdash said:

but I am mostly doing it so more information can be learned about how to treat brain injuries etc. 

That is great you are doing that, Cathy.  Have you learned about the brain by participating?

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez, all that poor air quality. Sorry to hear that folks. Try to get face masks asap!

@pickles mcgee, to be blunt about the back story in my case, mine was a diagnosed psychopath (I learnt this from the authorities after the event) who singled me out as I had no immediate family (my mother was 500 miles away in Scotland). His agenda was getting a UK passport as he felt the UK owed him for the colonialisation of his own country. The immigration authorities had been looking for him for over 15 years as he had a track record of extreme violence/fraud etc. and he took on the identity of a dead person to stay under the radar. Instead of going to jail the very naive UK government just deported him, which, I feel wasn't enough. But that was nearly 30 years ago...

Friday! We're supposed to have a very good weekend of weather, but then it'll suddenly become winter next week. I intend to celebrate the last good day by seeing the Grindelwald film (and maybe a nice lunch followed by the scary Overlord film...)😄

On 10/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, ryn2 said:

Most people here say “brotworst” (rhymes with hot thirst) but those with more German ancestry/knowledge of German say “brotvurst.”  For whatever reason liverwurst is always pronounced with the “w” though.

That's confusing, My German friends say 'bratvurst' and that is the pronunciation given to me when I learned German - and lebervurst for liverwurst. Maybe a high German / low German thing? Or an American German thing? Language does weird things when it gets to other countries.

• Like 5
On 11/15/2018 at 1:51 PM, ryn2 said:

I’m having a crappy day.  I have a respiratory thing, had the first snowy commute of the season, and then came home to find my partner all packed up and ready to move across country.  Tonite.  As in, he left to stop over at a friend’s in Cleveland about half an hour after I got home.  As I’ve said elsewhere we’ve been having issues but he’d said he was not going to decide whether or not he wanted to break up while he was still unemployed so this caught me pretty off-guard.

Ah, my dearest. I do feel for you. Quite a few years ago, I came home to find my then partner of eleven years had moved out while I'd been at work because he thought he was in love with someone else and didn't want me to talk him out of it (!?!). I knew he was in lust with a certain woman - god knows, I'd seen enough evidence of it - but just moving out like that? Cowardly, undignified, insensitive, cruel. Both him and yours. 

In retrospect, I thank him as the aftermath of his leaving made me realise a lot of things about myself including how much I'd been playing the 'sex' game, however uncomfortable, just to 'fit in' with the expectations of my generation. My best hope for you is that you too will uncover treasures from his leaving.

Much love to you.

• Like 9

Thanks, @Kazbe!  I’m sorry you had to go through that.  Agreed that there will be pluses from this and I will ultimately be fine and perhaps even happier/relieved.  I just struggle with sudden change... but I do recognize this feeling really crappy part is temporary.

• Like 8
10 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

That is great you are doing that, Cathy.  Have you learned about the brain by participating?

Not really.  I did learn about my own ability to remember things.  They gave me a test where they say about 20 words out loud and then ask me to repeat back as many of the words as I can remember.  I was surprised that I seemed to only get about 3 or 4 of them.  However, they do not report to me how I did.   My brother could not do many of the tests so I don't know how they test the brain injured participants.    Anyways, gotta run.  I'm on my way there now!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Kazbe said:

That's confusing, My German friends say 'bratvurst' and that is the pronunciation given to me when I learned German - and lebervurst for liverwurst. Maybe a high German / low German thing? Or an American German thing? Language does weird things when it gets to other countries.

Americans have a horrible tendency to mangle the pronunciation of words from other countries. I visibly cringe sometimes when I hear people say Spanish words. The average American doesn't seem to get that words from other countries should be pronounced like you would in that country, not trying to somehow get in an English pronunciation of a word that is obviously not English. It's something I seem to get more and more annoyed at as time goes by.

@cdrdash I will likely be doing similar tests sometime in the next few months, but I'll find out more next week. My therapist is interested in doing some testing to see where I officially fall on the autism scale, and that will include some cognitive reasoning tests. There are certain things that my school can provide to help me with fully comprehending my assignments and test questions, but only with an official diagnosis. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Spotastic said:

... The average American doesn't seem to get that words from other countries should be pronounced like you would in that country ...

(my highlight)

I fail to see the “should” here. It’s their language, they can do what they like with imported words.

• Like 3

Americans have a horrible tendency to mangle the pronunciation of words from other countries. ...

(my highlight)

Not just “Americans”. The Spaniards do too, e.g. Navidad: From Old Spanish nadvidad, from Latin nātīvitātem.   

• Like 5

To me it depends on whether you are actually trying to speak the other language or are speaking an assimilated word.

It also depends on whether you genuinely don’t know or are intentionally making fun of something...

• Like 5

Americans have a horrible tendency to mangle the pronunciation of words from other countries. ...

(my highlight)

Spanish has loads of “mangled” words, mostly from Latin, lots from Arabic, and also some Celtic and German roots. All part of their rich history of mingling and “mangling”. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

Americans have a horrible tendency to mangle the pronunciation of words from other countries. I visibly cringe sometimes when I hear people say Spanish words. ...

(my highlight)

48 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

To me it depends on whether you are actually trying to speak the other language or are speaking an assimilated word. ...

To me it’s irrelevant. I never consider a person’s genuine efforts “cringeworthy”.

I find it something to be appreciated, when someone makes the effort to learn a foreign language and tries to use it. It does not have to be perfect. 

And mispronouncing an assimilated word neither is “cringeworthy” to me, not everyone is well educated, not everyone has an aptitude for language.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

(my highlight)

To me it’s irrelevant. I never consider a person’s genuine efforts “cringeworthy”.

I find it something to be appreciated, when someone makes the effort to learn a foreign language and tries to use it. It does not have to be perfect. 

And mispronouncing an assimilated word neither is “cringeworthy” to me, not everyone is well educated, not everyone has an aptitude for language.

Yeah, that’s why I added the second part about genuine intent v. making fun.  Someone making an honest mistake doesn’t bother me, whereas someone doing it intentionally to make fun of the country in question, native speakers, etc., does.

• Like 5

I have had 8 lessons in Chinese now. I can just about  do the 4 tones. But as yet can’t pronounce about 5 of the intitials and half 🤣 of the finals. Compared to this, the European languages I know look like dialects of each other. I do enjoy it, and I’ve already enrolled for level 2. 

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Okidoki. 

It’s just my personal opinion, though.  Not trying to impose it on anyone.  :)

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

I have had 8 lessons in Chinese now. I can just about  do the 4 tones. But as yet can’t pronounce about 5 of the intitials and half 🤣 of the finals. Compared to this, the European languages I know look like dialects of each other. I do enjoy it, and I’ve already enrolled for level 2. 

I’m told Chinese is the hardest language for adults to learn.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

@ryn2 I hope you are feeling a bit better about today as about yesterday. 🌸

Thanks!  I was super-sad this morning but have perked up as the day has worn on.

• Like 5