anyone past 50 on here?

5 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Thank you, everyone. I am just spending tonight feeding Tasha kitty junk food that she likes and hugging her. Not going to be a good day tomorrow...

My 'Like' was for the the junk food and hugs too. {{{HUGS}}} 

• Like 7

Hiya all 

@GypsyDreams13welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

@teatree, that doesn't sound like the pinnacle of organising skills in that firm 

To all Americans with cars, your insurance sounds a nightmare. Over here a fully comprehensive policy is just that. The only thing it won't pay for is a courtesy car if the crash was your fault. 

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Autumn Sunrise, wow there's a blast from the past...pleated tunics. I guess we're not used to thinking of ice and Oz in the same sentence.:D

There seems to have been a spate of colonoscopies her recently @daveb...is there a colonoscopy season? Well the best of luck with it anyway. Great pun by the way @Autumn Sunrise!

Thinking of you @Mocha Jo, you have a big heart.

Welcome, Newbies!!! :cake::cake::cake:

@Mocha Jo, you are doing the best thing to help your little one. *Massive Hugs*

DAY FROM HELL.

Don't even want to discuss it, except for this:

While trying to shoo a large insect from buzzing around an employee, I swung my right hand, with my titanium Ace ring, and shattered the window in my testing booth.

This was a highlight of the day, so far.

I guess the One Ring is powerful, after all.:P

• Like 11
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez @Tja, that's ace power for you! I hope it isn't going to cost you in damages though. At least it doesn't sound like anyone got hurt, by what you say.

Hoping to get to 'baby driver at the cinema this weekend, I hear it has a good soundtrack.

Not much else happening here (for a change!).

So now I feel like a heel, whining about my start date at work...because my supervisor was out again today due to her mom's worsening health. Turns out my supervisor may be taking an extended period of time under the Family Medical Leave Act. My leaving is horrible timing! I don't want to stay, mind you, but I DO feel guilty for leaving....

• Like 11
On 12/07/2017 at 9:35 AM, Mocha Jo said:

I am a kitty mom failure- she isn't that old, and I should have had her for a long time yet.

No, you're not. Sometimes cats gets illnesses which defy analysis or treatment. I had an indoor cat, Alex, who got a mystery autoimmune disease. He lost half his body weight at one stage and the vet didn't think he'd make it back - but he did. The vet did blood work, sent samples to the University but no-one could work out what the disease was. The vet and I made a deal - as long as Alex was alert and interested in his surroundings whenever I brought him to the vet, and happy at home, we would do whatever it took to keep him going. So it was five years of palliative care - including monthly visits for which the vet didn't charge me and daily medication -  until one day Alex looked up into my face and meowed so sadly, I figured it was time to go. At the vet's he showed no interest in his surroundings, so the vet knew it was time to go as well. It was difficult but it was the right thing to do. You gave Tasha a good life with you, and that's really all you can do.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

(yes, I did mean to say that :lol:)

:lol:

12 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

is there a colonoscopy season?

Not as far as I know. 

12 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Thinking of you @Mocha Jo, you have a big heart.

I second this. I hope you are doing okay, @Mocha Jo. Take care and don't forget to grieve.

7 minutes ago, teatree said:

but I DO feel guilty for leaving....

You are doing what is right for you. No reason to feel guilty.

2 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

You gave Tasha a good life with you, and that's really all you can do.

Exactly.

• Like 9

Thank you, all. I have spent the day just being quiet and driving around in the rain with the radio on. My vet practice is a wonderful place with really good, caring people. I am lucky to have them. Tasha ate many goodies this morning and head butted me for more. Such a sweet cat. Her sister, Amber, is now in bed up near the pillow where Tasha used to sleep. 

@daveb- good luck with the colonoscopy. I hear the prep is the worst part! (I've never had one. I know I am supposed to, but not really willing to spend the money for my high deductible on it.)

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Mocha Jo said:

I hear the prep is the worst part!

That's true.

5 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

Such a sweet cat

Aw, hugs. 

(I made the mistake of putting it off too long when my old cat was sick. My thinking was to try to do anything and everything to keep him alive. The result was he ended up being scared and hurting when I finally made the decision. But all we can do is try to make the best decisions we can at the time.)

• Like 8
16 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

To all Americans with cars, your insurance sounds a nightmare. 

The insurance nightmare is all inclusive in America.  Health, car, property hazard, etc, they all suck.  The insurance industry is all powerful and completely entrenched into the political system here.  Rant,rant, rant.......    the only insurance that hasn't been too bad is my earthquake policy, and that policy is underwritten by Lloyds of London.

• Like 9
BobRossRules
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

The insurance nightmare is all inclusive in America.  Health, car, property hazard, etc, they all suck.  The insurance industry is all powerful and completely entrenched into the political system here.  Rant,rant, rant....... 

OMG, don't get me started!😫

Welcome @GypsyDreams13!! This is a fun place to hang and just talk about random stuff. 

• Like 6
19 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

OMG, don't get me started!😫

• Like 2
Autumn Sunrise

We had to say a sad good-bye to one of our first chickens today. We found that Maddie (an Australorp) had a tumour in her mouth, and there's not much you can do about that, so we took her to the vet to be put to sleep. (I'm afraid *cats* and I used up quite a few of the vet's tissues :() I think we'd had her for almost six years. We only have one of our original chickens left now - Maddie's sister, Astra. She still seems to be in good shape, although I don't think she lays much any more. She's an honourable and cherished pensioner!

• Like 14
5 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

(I'm afraid *cats* and I used up quite a few of the vet's tissues :()

Aw, my condolences

(I didn't cry the day my cat was put down, but a few days later I went to pick up his ashes. I was okay until I got to my car and then the waterworks starting flowing. I didn't have any tissues in my car (and didn't want to go back into the vet hospital and ask for any), but started carrying a box ever since then.)

• Like 11
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

It's so sad to hear of loved pets having to leave us @Mocha Jo, @Autumn Sunrise and @daveb, but I'm not sure they ever really leave us as long as we remember the good times we had with them.

Insurances are ridiculous! When I took my old girl to see about her teeth (which were classed as an existing condition that I informed the insurer about when I took out their insurance and they said it was ok), they suddenly decided it wasn't ok, so I had to fork out myself. Now, I'm putting aside a little every month just for those unexpected things.

53 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

but I'm not sure they ever really leave us as long as we remember the good times we had with them.

Exactly. I have many fond memories of my old cat. :)

• Like 8
10 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

It's so sad to hear of loved pets having to leave us @Mocha Jo, @Autumn Sunrise and @daveb, but I'm not sure they ever really leave us as long as we remember the good times we had with them.

Insurances are ridiculous! When I took my old girl to see about her teeth (which were classed as an existing condition that I informed the insurer about when I took out their insurance and they said it was ok), they suddenly decided it wasn't ok, so I had to fork out myself. Now, I'm putting aside a little every month just for those unexpected things.

I agree with both sentiments, @chandrakirti.  Our pets do live on in our hearts.

Insurance for pets is now a rip off.  When I started paying for pet insurance it gave total peace of mind.  The vet recommended treatment and the insurers paid the vet direct.  Now, with all the excesses, exclusions and excuses not to pay it is far from giving peace of mind, just added stress.

• Like 9

@Tanwen I read somewhere else that Photobucket were going to start making sharing photos only possible for paid accounts. :(  Looks like it's started. :(  Just checked and all my shared pics are now like Tan's. :(

I only use Photobucket to share pics, so that is one place I won't bother with again.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do instead?  Another forum - a fish keeping one that uses the same message board as AVEN - allows photo sharing direct from our own photos now.

• Like 7
32 minutes ago, Tja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

100_05212-Copy_zpsa4502dda.jpg

My photobucket seems to be working.

What is the photo of, @Tja?  I can only see the "Please update your account" message.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Mz Terry said:

What is the photo of, @Tja?  I can only see the "Please update your account" message.

It's a flower. It's showing up when I look at it. Is that only on my computer?

Oh well. I hate to lose all those uploaded images.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm very cynical about all things digital-age....I feel they reel you in, and once you're hooked, they start charging the money.  Just MHO :lol:

Last week I watered my neighbour's hanging baskets and pots and as a thanks they brought me a hanging basket and pot of my own! How kind! Also, the chap says that he has too many, so he's going to rotate them. I'm looking forward to seeing what he swaps them with next.

Luckily I've now found a vet who is a quarter of the expense that the last one was, so I'm all ready for anything else my old girl contracts. She got her eye scratched by a marauder , but otherwise things are ok for the moment.

So, no more plans till August bank holiday weekend, when I'll be hillwalking in the Cotswolds with my daughter. She lives quite near where they roll the cheeses downhill, but I've no intention of doing that! For all those across the pond, have a look at the cheese rolling in Gloucester.....:D