anyone past 50 on here?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

hee hee...maybe we could pool resources and have chillied frog? Still can't find the blighter. I have this premonition of finding it all dried out tomorrow...yuk!

Poor thing.

Yay! The weekend is here! (and I've only been back to work for 2 days, after being off from work for nearly a full month - yep, I could get used to retirement) :D

Chandrakirti, sounds like things are going well on the job front. What's a bank nurse? (sounds like it should be good money...) Good luck with the poor frog.

Techie, Mocha Jo, and anyone else mourning the shortening days, I'd give you some of our daylight if I could. I did okay during the long hours of daylight in Europe, but the weather was cooler. Here, I look forward to the shorter days (although they don't get as short as they do in your northern climes) and cooler weather! We've been in the 100s since I got home (and probably before that) and the forecast shows at least upper 90s for the next 10 days.

• Like 6

Uh-Oh...work is becoming insufferable...I feel a life change coming on...

...I'm really too old for this... :(

• Like 6

Oh, no, Tja. So sorry things aren't going well with the job :(

Chandrakitti- did you find the frog??

• Like 7

Thanks, everyone!

I'm actually considering walking away from my house.

With a drastic cut in pay, I'm not sure of a better option.

I know nothing about bankruptcy, so I'll have to do some research.

It's only life, right? :)

I've been through worse, so, no biggie. ;)

• Like 6
BobRossRules
chandrakirti: Good luck with the job stuff, and the frog too. At some point, I'll have to share my surname history....I come from a crazy family.

Tja: Too bad about work. Would you be looking for another job with a similar occupation, or are you thinking of a career change? I've been through bankruptcy after my first divorce. Honestly, it was a life savor for me. My second divorce left me in quite a financial bind. I'm blessed with paying both of my ex's school loans. Not cool!!

muledeer: We're only 200 miles away? Gee, we need to have a meetup or something somewhere in the middle.

Mz Ginny: BTW, lovely decorating. I love the English cottage vibe.

teatree: good luck with your plants, hopefully the transplant will hang on and do well.
  • Like 7

Tja, sorry that work is going wrong. Hope you find something better soon.

• Like 5
Tja: Too bad about work. Would you be looking for another job with a similar occupation, or are you thinking of a career change? I've been through bankruptcy after my first divorce. Honestly, it was a life savor for me. My second divorce left me in quite a financial bind. I'm blessed with paying both of my ex's school loans. Not cool!!

That sucks about the loans, Faraday.

I'm not sure what I'll do about a job. I've been a printer, inventory taker, pharmacy technician, drugstore manager & a bookstore manager. I loathe retail, and will only do that as an act of desperation.

I'd like to stay in the hearing business. I haven't been without a job since I was 16, so, I'll find something. ;)

• Like 7
BobRossRules

Good luck Tja, and if you're looking for low cost of living, move to Idaho!! I'm doing my best to poach people so I'm not the only one here. :D

Speaking of hearing, I'm not sure if I mentioned this here or not....but I'm getting a stapeotomy. It's a type of corrective surgery to repair conductive hearing loss (it basically scraps off crapy build-up on the tiny bones in the ear). When I was a kid, I contracted spinal meningitis, which contributed to both conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. The sensory is only in the higher frequencies and more minor. However, the conductive loss is more problematic. I actually had a stapeotomy when I was in high school and it was great. However, with newer microscopic and laparoscopic technology, I've been told that my improvement would be quite remarkable. Anyway, I will be traveling to Seattle or possibly Portland to get the procedure done in October. Pretty good timing since I damaged one of my hearing aids beyond repair while in Ireland. I can't wait to get rid of them!! :)

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Geez. Tja, that really sucks! Could you find someone to rent a room in your house and help pay the mortgage? The job thing ....don't get me started! Why is employment so rubbish these days? I remember loving my old jobs, but now...it's like being in some twilight zone between career and retirement. I really wish you well on it.

Faraday, you seem to have been in the wars, I hope your hearing gets a boost soon. Having those financial burdens because of feckless partners is a hard knock. Why on earth couldn't they deal with their own stuff and why did you have to pick up the tab for them? Seems unfair to me.

Mocha Jo, I didn't find the frog! Went out and retrieved my torch from the shed, looked everywhere I could think of, saw ....nothing! Weird. I really like frogs, they're so good for the garden, so I'm restricting madam's nightly activities!

Spent the best part of the day filling out forms and job applications. Maybe I should go for a job where I don't need to pay upfront to register!

I often forget Brits call flashlights "torches" whenever I initially encounter the term while (whilst?) reading. Gives new imagery to the idea of the angry mob turning out with "torches and pitchforks", eh? :lol:

Another day hiding from the sun and heat and pretending it's not Summer out there. When I was younger and still had a turntable I used to have a couple of full length LP sound effects albums of rain and thunderstorms that I would play when I wanted to pretend it wasn't Summer. Then I would read books, like the Sherlock Holmes stories, fantasy books, etc., that evoked imagery and feelings of cool/cold weather. More recently, I will sometimes have some website like Rainy Moods playing in the background.

• Like 7
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I guess you need the torches to see where you're putting the pitchforks, Daveb!

Cooler than usual here today, but a short trip to the shops yielded some serious leakage, despite having light clothing, so I remain indoors out of the sun as well.

It's a wonder your vinyl didn't melt!

The humidity is way up today and thunderstorms are forecast. The tide is also low this afternoon so it looks like a day to stay close to home.

I bought some tiny temperature sensor modules to connect to several small microcomputers I run (UK designed Raspberry Pi's for the detail oriented). They handle several tasks for me and I figured adding the ability to remotely monitor the room temperature where they are located was just another task for them to do. I ordered several of the sensors from China for about $1.76 each and specifically ordered ones that included hookup cables because they can be a pain to find locally when there are no electronics shops around. I got a chuckle when I opened the package and saw the color of the included three-wire ribbon cables, one which is pictured below. Somebody must know something :D :cake:

28621291716_93af00236f_z.jpg

• Like 9

I did find a job opening for a hearing technician...in London.

If I were 20 years younger, I'd go for it ;)

• Like 6

I hope it pays well. No matter where you are in the world you haven't experienced a high cost of living until you meet London. Two weeks ago a cab ride of less than two miles cost me £17, a pint of beer is £5 and the less said about keeping a roof over your head the better

• Like 7

Lol, Techie- love the wires!

Tja- maybe worth applying to the job in Boise? Closer than London.

• Like 4

I did find a job opening for a hearing technician...in London.

If I were 20 years younger, I'd go for it ;)

I'm just saying.....low cost of living....

Unfortunately, I have no experience with newborn testing.

My field is Industrial Testing.

• Like 3
Gentle Giant

Faraday, that is interesting about the stapeotomy. I've never heard of that procedure. Sure hope it helps you out.

Good luck to Tja and Chandrakirti on the job finds.

Techie that was funny and neat to get that part with those colors!

• Like 7

Tja, come to the UK! We have cookies! :)

Faraday, this is probably what you wanted to see:

b02615109ba3c5e26fd831bdb8c0d1d3.jpg

• Like 11

I went on holiday to the Isle of Mull last year. We went all round the island wildlife watching, seeing otters, sea eagles, golden eagles, red deer and more. As we drove round the twisting single track road, highland cattle would be wandering about, and we had to drive behind a big old bull for some time. They aren't a fierce breed, but you felt you needed to give him his space. :P

• Like 6
Tja, come to the UK! We have cookies! :)

Don't you mean "biscuits" :D

• Like 6

Yay, a rainy morning! It seems like it will last a while and we desperately need it. I had outdoor plans today but will gladly stay inside--I have a cat by my side (she's trying to get ON my lap, but that makes typing difficult) and will have a second cup of tea soon, then spend the morning cleaning and puttering about. Ahhhhhhhhh. ^_^

• Like 8

teatree the real fun is when Kitty stands on the keyboard.

• Like 7
BobRossRules

My field is Industrial Testing.

Ah..rightly-o then

I'm not sure if it was that specific company or not, but an audiomobile came to a manufacturing plant in my town. The dude who was doing the evaluation was a little person. I thought you might find that interesting Tja as you have a special place in your heart for little people. :P :lol: I was only involved as one of the workers was a 16 year old who got konked in the head by a projectile (he was ok - strong like bull!). This particular company has been misbehaving in terms of OSHA standards.

chandrakirti: we have a need for nurses too!!!

However, you guys, I don't think Idaho could compete with your fabulous cookies or er biscuits!!

Timeworp: that is one fabulous cow!!! I had to download that picture. Gee cookies and cows, I just may move to the UK. :D

• Like 4
BobRossRules

Faraday, that is interesting about the stapeotomy. I've never heard of that procedure. Sure hope it helps you out.

Good luck to Tja and Chandrakirti on the job finds.

Techie that was funny and neat to get that part with those colors!

There's another procedure called a stapedectomy, which replaces the stapes. It's possible I may need that was well, but for now they don't think so. Both procedures correct for otosclerosis, which is that build-up on the bones.

I actually didn't notice the colors until Gentle Giant mentioned it and I had to take another look!! ;)

• Like 6