Kim Deal from The Breeders

Stitch

The last time I interviewed you, the piece got hundreds of comments and a lot of them were about how both lesbians and gay men are attracted to you. I have to ask, do you have a gay bone in your body?

[Thinks] You know what? I'm just so…asexual, I wish I had a gay bone.

That's so wierd. You don't seem asexual. Does it seem weird to you that both are attracted to you?

I can see the lesbian thing, but like, then again, I don't really know because I have no idea what attracts people.

I was just talking to a gay guy friend and it was interesting because he was saying that he didn’t think he was gay all through high school, right? His older brother was gay, so he was used to it, and he just never thought about it. He said the only gay guys he would think of back then were the really 'fabulous' types. And he said he had no idea he was gay until he opened up a copy of Bear magazine in his mid-twenties, and he was like, 'Shwing! I'm gay.'

My point being how would I know what lesbians or gay guys were attracted [to] because one can never know what can turn on a particular lesbian or a particular gay person.

Maybe it's already been brought up, but the awesome Kim Deal answered this in an interview I read last week and it made me so so so very happy. Don't know if it's been mentioned before...

Kim Deal is the frontwoman of The Breeders and bassist of The Pixies. I've been a fan of her stuff for a while and when I read this I started dancing inside :blush:

Can I coin the term A-dol? Like idol but A-dol?! Cos Kim Deal is my A-Dol.

TheBreeders-3.JPG

music_phases2.jpg

arts_breeders_392.jpg

This is ridiculous, as if I needed another reason to worship this lady.

Guest EGDingCale'sTeapot
You know what? I'm just so…asexual, I wish I had a gay bone.

(That's so wierd. You don't seem asexual. Does it seem weird to you that both are attracted to you?)

I can see the lesbian thing, but like, then again, I don't really know because I have no idea what attracts people.

*swoons* :wub:

... and when I read this I started dancing inside :blush:

*agrees*

Well, now this monkey's gone to heaven!

*giggles*

This is ridiculous, as if I needed another reason to worship this lady.

*delay laughs and sprays*

Aww yesh! :D I loooove the Pixies.

(I was going to write "yeah", but it came out "yesh" which is also fitting ;) )

I feel inclined to make a purple banner with Kim Deal on... maybe Kelley Deal as both of the twins rock, but Kim being an acer is just too cool.

LimeTreeArbour

this is great - the pixies were by far my fave band of the grunge scene

so now we have morrissey, the late great richey edwards and kim deal - that is an eclectic mix

Oh, I meant it was Mozza's ruse.

But that's just my hunch, not wanting to start an argument. :)

Huge fan of the Breeders. Divine Hammer, Cannonball, Invisible man. Such a unique sound!

LimeTreeArbour
Oh, I meant it was Mozza's ruse.

But that's just my hunch, not wanting to start an argument. :)

im not 100% sure about it because he puts out mixed and confusing messages a lot but it does seem to figure really; besides hes my A-dol ;)

good to hear about Kim Deal :)

LimeTreeArbour

this news has got me listening to pixies again and i think i want to see them on their forthcoming tour; hopefully i can rope my friend along as he introduced me to the pixies

They were at IOW festival last week, I had no idea or Iwould've gone...

Both Kim and Kelley Deal are freakin' cool and now with Kim being ace it's like a whole new level of awesome.

Kiki Asexual Superstar

I like that people are adding words to the asexy vernacular. If Shakespeare could add all the words he did to the English language, why not the rest of us? Plus, I like throwing them into my regular speech to impress those in my circle. :P

A few other quotes from a decade ago, maybe indicative. She didn't jump out of the toaster til last year. (I think that we need a word for coming out... I don't like closets...)

Raygun 1996

Interviewer: I know you've been married once and quickly got out of that deal.

Kim: Pass.

NME 1995

Why isn't life good enough without drugs? For the first time today Kim is astonished.

"Dun no!" she says, eyes a-ping, "I dunno why but...it's not!" (Dives under cover of her hands on top of her head which is now on the table)

(Re-emerging) "Well it is, yeah," she decides, "some people love their lives, their normal life of getting married and having kids, they absolutely love it, that's happiness for them."

But for the rest of us that could never be enough?

"Ahoooooooo!"

Oh dear. She is now wailing from under cover of her hands on top of her head on the table.

Spin 1995

One of the best things I read about Last Splash said that the album seemed to question whether women could ever really trust rock, since it's so structured by and for men.

I don't think it's not trusting rock, it's having to trust in the ideal of men in general. You know, you just think you're going to get married and there's a future in a person and all that. And there ain't. Most of the time, guys are weak and cowardly and you come to expect it. Relationships go cold, they do, and that's sad, and it gets depressing and mean and-

So why are you engaged to Jim?

He asked me and I said okay. So? Yeah, we've been engaged for awhile, for marriage, which sucks, which he knows, since he's done it before, too. We sit around and he'll say, "Do you want to get married?" and I'll say, "Why would I want to marry you?" I'd say we're terminally engaged.

Do you look at motherhood, like marriage, as a shackle? You were the one who sang, "Motherhood means mental freeze," after all.

No, I never thought being a mom was a shackle. I thought having to be married to some asshole to be a mother just because of the traditional laws of behavior from the fucking 12th century or some fucking papal bull that declared some bullshit rule all of a sudden, that's what I thought was a shackle. Just because marriage exists doesn't mean there's any point to it. It's made up and stupid and that's just the sad truth. Babies, you don't make them up. It's like when you grow up and find out that your dad's not the smartest, strongest person in the whole world, or that you recognize faults in your family. It's sad, but it's true. I knew this guy who got in a fight with his dad when he was 16 and he knew he could beat the shit out of his dad, and that hurt him more than actually getting into the fight. He knew he could beat up his dad, and that really made him sad.

There was another interview that I read where she said something blatantly indicative of being ace... I can't remember where I read it. Will try and hunt that one down.

Archived