So, who is in their 20s and considers themself "older"

toujours

Im 26 and am a lot maturer than girls my age. Im buying a flat soon and am looking now. I act a lot older than my younger sister who is 24 and my older sister who is 28.

I've always felt mentally about ten years older than I really am, yet I look alot younger than I really am.

I was given a test in 4th-grade that revealed I had college-level reading and writing skills.

I'm thinking that being uninterested in sex and relationships growing up had something to do with it, but I was always more focused on learning about art and science and such, than on getting the latest toy for my birthday, or trying to look pretty.

(This is not to say that I don't like toys, because even now I still have an affinity for legos and action figures)

I'm 22, very small and petite, and usually I am mistaken for 12-14 year old.

(A boy or a girl child, depending on what I'm wearing. =p)

However, when people actually have a conversation with me, they're often taken aback by how intellectual I can be. XD

Well, I may be 60 but my brain (cell) is still 17, and my inner child is about 6...if I remember rightly (but that could be the 60-year old talking) :)

I'm 68 and my brain cell is 10. My inner child is in the corner for being naughty.

I feel like i don't really have an age because i can't relate to people my age...not really sure if i feel "older" though. I probably can't relate to older people either lol.

Even though I'm 34, I'll consider myself an "older" asexual in about 10 to 15 years time. ;)

I've been told that I am both an old soul and young at heart, and often have I been called a free spirit and young at heart. So there are things about me that make me seem ancient, but at the same time, I do behave rather childishly, playing pranks, dancing around. I relate well to kids under 12 and adults older than 40.

alittle_iron

I'm 21 but I mix best with people about 25 upwards. The people who's conversation I enjoy most tend to be in their mid-thirties.

Yes I'm a uni student and I think they're children as well.

Mr. Ten Below

Being twenty-two never feels old until someone younger than me complains about being old. Then I hit them with my cane.

• 2 weeks later...
I've always felt mentally about ten years older than I really am, yet I look alot younger than I really am.

This sounds like me, as well.

When I was 22, I was refused entrance into a rated-R movie. The ticket woman didn't even want to see my ID! Now, I'm going to be 33 this month, but people are shocked that I'm old enough to have a graduate degree. I got that five years ago now! I think most people think I'm in my mid-20s.

But mentally, I've always felt way above my years. Once I got out of school, most of the friends I've made are at least five years older than I am. My best friend in the town where I live now is 56, a month younger than my mom!

House of Chimeras

I’m 20 going on 21. My parents often comment on how more mature I am emotionally and mentally then my siblings who are all older then me, one by six whole years. Other people have sometimes said the same about me and I, myself, also feel like I'm slightly older then my actual age in general. Still unfortunately have my ’teenager’ moments every once in a blue moon though.

I pretty much look like I am about 20 in general, though I have had a few people sincerely disbelieve me when I tell them my age because they say I look several year s younger.

I've been told that I am both an old soul and young at heart, and often have I been called a free spirit and young at heart. So there are things about me that make me seem ancient, but at the same time, I do behave rather childishly, playing pranks, dancing around. I relate well to kids under 12 and adults older than 40.

Yeah, I'm a bit like that too.

I'm kind of ambivalent about it. In many ways I'm more of an old child, rather than a young adult. :P

But at the same time I feel as if I've been around since the Jurassic era, I made a thread called "Signs of aging in the late 20's? o.O" a while ago. Also, for some strange reason I seem to get along very well with males 65+ - needless to say that's probably, more than anything, a random thing.

i am 29, and physically, i feel a bit older than i should. when the weather gets cooler, i really should get myself back into the habit of walking, because i am horribly out of shape. :blush:

however, i do allow my inner child to come out and play at times. i can sometimes be a little prankster, but i also tend to prefer the company of people older than me.

I doubt I'll ever feel my age. I'm 29, but don't act it, though I'm not really sure how a 29 year old acts. I joke around 24-7, and am rarely serious. I'm much more responsible with money and such than most Americans (regardless of age), given that I'm quite frugal. However, I am not "responsible" in other ways because I have no responsibility in my life. I have no desire to buy a house, a new car, get married, have a kid, get a stressful job decent paying job, etc...I don't even have a pet. I don't have any of those things that age you and make you a mental fuddy duddy.

Also, people think I'm 19-21. So, I'm sure the way people act towards me creates some sort of feedback loop that keeps me acting younger than I am.

I was born old, so far as I can tell. I'm 26 but most of my friends are much older; my fiancee just turned 50 and she tells me she often forgets how young I am. (She's young in spirit herself, and I honestly think she does at least as much to keep me young as I do for her!) Ever since I was a small child I related better to those much younger and those much older than to those my own age. The friends I do have my own age are universally sensitive, mature, and intelligent. When I was 16 I wanted to be 35, which I thought was the perfect age. Now that 35 is in sight, I've pushed my ideal up to 45. Most people don't understand what I mean when I say I was an adolescent (enduring the transitional phase between childhood and adulthood as a physiological and psychological inevitability) but never a teenager (never did any of the stuff you're supposed to remember fondly or not-so-fondly from your high school days, because I never wanted to at the time). Sometimes I actually wish I hadn't always been so old and I'd actually been a child when I seemed to be.

• 1 month later...

I do consider myself "older," but prefer to call it "mature." I've always been ahead of people in my age group, and when my entire life's experiences have been taken into account (no, I'm not dissing anyone else's life experiences) I can't very well be called "immature" or even, well, in my 20's.

My body may be "in my 20's" til I die, so not much I can do there.

Yes, another inside joke for me.

Kawaii Kitsune

I just turned 27 a few days ago...I'm not sure how I feel about approaching 30 especially since I've gone back to school. Blarg.

With everything I've been through, though, I'm on the mature side personality wise but few people are able to guess my age. The other students at the college figued me for around 22. So yay me! :lol:

I'm in my early twenties but everyone says I'm like a fifty year old in a twenty year olds body... I think its because I'm a homebody and always drive the speed limit. My husband says I'm like a ninety year old but I think thats because I don't want to have sex! I'm also one of the youngest people to hold my rank in my career, I own my own house, have my horses and dogs (my 'children') and I pretty much have everything I wanted in life...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 22. I'm told I look like a teenager.. I act older though, which is why I appreciate being told I look younger! XD

• 2 weeks later...

I'm twenty and therefore technically a "youngster," but I've always felt old. (Hence me currently hangin' around in here.)

I've never felt like a 'young' person. I certainly didn't feel like a 'teenager' when I was in that age range.

I'm nearly 30 now. In some ways I feel older as I can't relate to my peers, some of whom seem so immature.

But I have learning difficulties so in some ways I feel like a child trapped in an adult's body as I find day to day things a lot harder to cope with than people who don't have learning difficulties.

I kind of feel like my maturities and immaturities are all jumbled up.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of me is 29, at least according to my driver's license.

My hair is about 20, my face 25, and my right knee is well, it needs a replacement. I'm a smoker, don't ask about my lungs.

Guest member25959

I wouldn't consider myself old once I reach my 20's. Maybe when I reach 40, then I would consider being 'older'.

Strangely, if you are 29, you qualify for 'Young *insert proffesion* of the year' on BBC3.

stretchoutandwait

i'm 23 years old, but i feel older. many of my friends are younger than me so i guess this is the reason. also i think having a lot of stress in ym life has ages me considerably. at least in my mind. i'm sure some of you can relate.

LikeANightlight

I turned twenty this past August, but I've passed for a pre-teen (played Gloria in Wait Until Dark and people are still asking whose little girl we borrowed for the part; I loved standing near the director when she had to explain "That was Kelley. She's one of our majors. She's, like, twenty.") and most people who know me tell me that I act like I'm in my thirties.

Honestly, I've never felt "old" or "young". Recently I was filling out a form for a discount card of some kind to help boost the employee's sales or something and I nearly put my age as sixteen, simply because I don't really think about my age often and it was the first number that came into my head.

it's suprising how quick you feel uncomfortably old

best way I have found yet..go to a night club..if you look around and see who are mostly in attendance and you suddenly feel like a school teacher...your feeling old

LikeANightlight

The nightclub thing is apparently one of the reasons people think I act thirty. I don't go out much as I have school some mornings and, when I don't have morning classes, I'm at work at five or six in the A.M., so I generally pass on clubbing or bar-hopping or whatever. I've been to a bar, like, twice, and I brought a book each time and scolded myself for riding with someone, as it meant I couldn't just go home when I got outstandingly bored. It's just not fun for me.

I'm 22 (23 in March), and I don't really consider myself "old" but I do consider myself mature.

I generally hang out (when I do leave my house)/get along better with those that are about 30+. Granted I have friends that range from 20 and on, I find that my maturity level is a much different compared to the 'average 20-something'...

Archived