Sapiosexuality

Parth

I clicked "Stumble" on my Stumbleupon toolbar as I often do, and suddenly, this page came up.

Definition of sapiosexuality :.

(sā-pē-ō-sĕk-shü-ăl'ĭ-tē)

1. (n.) A behavior of becoming attracted to or aroused by intelligence and its use.

Origins: From the Latin root sapien, wise or intelligent, and Latin sexualis, relating to the sexes.

Example: Me? I don't care too much about the looks. I want an incisive, inquisitive, insightful, irreverent mind. I want someone for whom philosophical discussion is foreplay. I want someone who sometimes makes me go ouch due to their wit and evil sense of humor. I want someone that I can reach out and touch randomly. I want someone I can cuddle with. I decided this all means that I am sapiosexual.

I know it is not asexual in nature (exhibit A being the reference to attraction/arousal, and exhibit B being the reference to foreplay), but it opens up yet another dimension to sexuality. Moving into what seems to be a subset of pansexuality? It's pretty interesting, wouldn't you say?

oneofthesun
I clicked "Stumble" on my Stumbleupon toolbar as I often do, and suddenly, this page came up.

Example: Me? I don't care too much about the looks. I want an incisive, inquisitive, insightful, irreverent mind. I want someone for whom philosophical discussion is foreplay. I want someone who sometimes makes me go ouch due to their wit and evil sense of humor.

I call conversations like that brain sex. I've had it several times and it's very satisfying. It actually gives me of sort of release like masturbation. I think someone said once that the brain is our biggest sex organ.

Hallucigenia

I would imagine that this is quite common, actually. Common to the extent where I'm not sure I'm comfortable classifying it as a separate orientation

People (both sexual and asexual) tend to assume that sexual attraction is entirely about a person's physical looks. And it simply isn't true. Looks are usually at least a little bit of a factor, but in most cases (at least when you've known each other for longer than 5 seconds) there is SO much more to it than that!

Archived