She Thinks I'm Lying

BleedingThrough

I touched the subject lightly once to see how mom would react to the possibility of me being an asexual. She gave me this strange sort of look before flat out saying that it wasn't true. She holds firmly onto the belief that I am still 'blooming'... or that its just a joke... and excuse not to show interest in people romanticly or sexually.

Thing is... she's the one who described it best to one of my siblings (if I recall) when I was in High School. She said, and I quote, "Theres nothing really wrong with Emi... she's just happpy being friends with everyone for right now." The fact that now... five years later I'm still single and still have those sentiments scares her I think.

I almost htink she'd be happier if I came out and said I was gay or something like that.

I simply don't talk to her about it... everyone else knows though... or almost everyone. I'm not very secretive about my asexuality, and make jokes about it on a regular basis.

A lot of parents have that reaction. :?

My parents had a similar reaction when I first came out, but they've become a lot more accepting. Just hang in there, eh?

This is why I just avoid discussing it at all...

I've shown my mother AVEN. She still doesn't believe I'm asexual.
I suppose that level of conviction is pretty impressive.
BleedingThrough

I almost htink she'd be happier if I came out and said I was gay or something like that.

[/ar quote]

My family always says that they think I'm either bi or lesbian because I nevr go out on dates. :roll:

My family always says that they think I'm either bi or lesbian because I nevr go out on dates. :roll:

Heh, same here... I guess that's an improvement over their previous reaction of 'you know, just don't bother coming back if you turn gay' (in somewhat more colorful language, but you get the picture).

At that rate, it shouldn't take more than a few years before 'being single all your life' becomes taunting-material. I'm thrilled. Really!

I think what I'm trying to say (I ramble too much :oops:) are two things: 1) Try to consider what kind of person your mom is, her point of view, how she was raised, her views on sex, etc. to see if you can see where she's coming from, and 2) Give her a bit of time to get used to the idea.

Anyway, good luck with everything...I hope things work out for you. :)

Absolutely! I've said it before and I'll say it again--asexuality is something that's very difficult for sexual people to understand. Sometimes if you give a little understanding, you'll get a little understanding.

I'm 33 y/o and I'm planning on telling mine soon. But I think they suspect something anyways.

Best wishes to you and your Mom.

--Robin--

Ps. Don't badger her, that's probably the worst thing you can do!

Archived