Gender, social media, and inappropriate sexual ads

UsiresAedon

Hello, everyone. So, I have identified as asexual for about 3 years now. I would describe myself as sex-repulsed, and I identify as "mostly male," which basically translates into "Eh. I'm a guy, I guess?" One thing I've noticed as of late, is a rampant increase in sexualized/naked "create your own AI girlfriend" advertisements on social media. I have been bombarded with very inappropriate and lewd (and sometimes creepy) AI generated images that are very triggering to me. So, I have decided to adjust my gender on social media to "androgynous/non-binary." It is obviously too early to tell if it has any effect, but I figured I'd stop by here to see if anyone else experiences extremely awful marketing based upon one's gender on social media? Does identifying as non-binary mess with their algorithm at all? Gosh, I sure hope it does.

Philip027

I don't think it particularly matters or that they particularly care, considering how much penis enlargement spam I've heard female friends getting before.

IMO everyone should just learn to run a good ad blocker.  Many places on the internet are becoming unusable cesspits without one.

• Like 3
Mrs Telecaster-to-be

Nothing particularly inappropriate, no. The main social media ads that I get lately that are based on my gender have been ones for a period tracker app and the ads are specifically about signs of perimenopause, and then some about freezing my eggs. Social media has clearly clocked that I'm a woman in early middle age. 😅

But yeah, nothing sexual.

Lulu48

This is one of my many reasons to uninstall and delete my social media accounts. At least those that function as a "big unrestrictive town square where everyone can meet each other" like X, instagram, or tiktok. I know that's probably not viable to everyone, but I would say this: you can try to restrict and "filter" your "neighborhood" in the virtual world. The internet is an exhaustive place, and it might do you some good to get away from it for some time, and you can start by closing the doors, so to speak. For me, I prefer socializing in filtered places where I can control how and which kinds of groups I'd like to hang out with, for example, here in AVEN, or certain discord servers. Kurzgesagt also made a great video on how to figure out your place in social media, go check it out.

Sister Mercurial

Not seen any of those.  I get plenty of ads for old lady bras, so I can only assume I told them an incorrect DOB when signing up as I often do that.  I also get way too many smutty posts, but I suspect that's because I follow plenty of guys who, besides being into the music I like, hold anti-establishment political views and like posts which often get bombarded with sexbot responses to force Twitter to censor them.  Not sure if the guys haven't figured out that the sexbots are being used to suppress political opinions with which they agree, or if they just figure they may as well take advantage of them while they're there, but an awful lot of their responses seem to show up in my feed, no matter how much I click Not Interested/Not Relevant.   

I've had a few sexually explicit ads for AI girlfriends or penis enlargement devices or supplements. I uncheck all ad preferences when I can everywhere, so I assume I'm just getting random stuff as opposed to targeted stuff. I also try and have ad blockers installed when I can, so most of the ads I see are on Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube.

uhtred

Is it possible to set up a browser filter of the sort parents us for kids? You'd of course have the PW so you could turn it off when you wanted, but for casual browsing it might protect you against a lot of that stuff

RoseGoesToYale

I use an adblocker (ublockorigin) on my laptop browser and on my phone aggressively report ALL ads I see on social media as offensive, even to the point where the algorithm shows me no ads at all. You could give that a try.

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what it says about facebook's data collection that the main ads that I see on Facebook (where i use they/them) is either targetted for gay men (for example a booking.com ad for an "exclusively gay men" hotel) or for fashions targetted to feminine clothing.

I also got an ad on Facebook  for a product for cleaning up after a very intimate contact with a partner.

I don't really go into thought about twitter ads. I don't think twitter ads are very targetted as they are now very desperate for any one who wants to buy any ad space whatsoever.

Edited by iff