Maybe I’m just not used to kindness

asexualien

Why do strangers offer to buy me things? A couple weeks ago, someone offered to pay for this tub of ice cream and these frozen Greek yogurt bars that I bought. Today, this person that always comes into my job (the one I made a post about before about them owing all these businesses or whatever) asked me if I was hungry. I said “not really” and he told me that he would go and grab me something. I ended up saying that I already ate which is true. 

when people offer to do things like these, it makes me side eye them because neither person knew me. Maybe I’m just an ass because I would never do something like that. I know at one point buying stuff for people was a trend but that was like years ago (I think). But yeah, it’s weird to me for people to be so nice or whatever. I don’t know. 

Sarah-Sylvia

Random acts of kindness to strangers can be very nice, kinda like when someone buys the order of the next person in line. It happens, but there are situations where I'd have to wonder. If it's a co-worker just trying to be nice, to me that's not a big deal, we might not know each other but it might be their way of trying to build rapport. 'Sometimes' there can be a motive behind it, or could be to try to butter up someone, but it's hard to say because sometimes someone just genuinely wants to do a kind action. I think it depends on the region too.

I can sometimes just want to be nice but just randomly buying or giving someone i don't know something isn't something i would do unless they looked perplexed or didn't have enough change for something.. or things like that. I could see myself feeling awkward if certain kindnesses were done. One thing I would not be ok with though is if someone felt I owed them something, One time this guy opened the door for me and then was upset because I didn't say thanks. That was just ridiculous to me. Plus I was tired from an exam at the time.

• Like 2
thylacine

It would certainly creep me out, also, if total strangers offered to buy me stuff.  It looks like they're trying to hook up or something... ewe.

• Like 1
DragonflytotheMoon

I suppose it depends on the person and/or situation. Being a cancer patient on benefits, I struggle just to take care of my own things. I'm not usually able to treat friends, let alone people I just met. I'd love to be able to do that. I extend kindnesses in other ways. Such as compliments or helping however I'm able (carrying something for them, for example). I'm a big proponent of putting focus back on our communities & caring & looking out for each other. Every little bit makes a difference. So many of us go through tough times for various reasons & if we can boost someone's spirits, even for a little while, I think it's important to do that. 

• Like 3
KVA1983

I don't see it as a bad thing in the right circumstances, I bought someone coffee and a sandwich. Older lady who was going through her purse who hadn't enough, I picked it up for her.

Randomly buying someone something can make a lot question their motives but sometimes that random act could mean a lot to someone who doesn't have much.

• Like 1
asexualien
2 hours ago, KVA1983 said:

Randomly buying someone something can make a lot question their motives but sometimes that random act could mean a lot to someone who doesn't have much.

Then if they don’t have much then why spend things on a stranger? That doesn’t make sense. 

Sally
16 minutes ago, asexualien said:

Then if they don’t have much then why spend things on a stranger? That doesn’t make sense. 

The stranger is the one who doesn't have much.  

• Like 1
KVA1983
3 minutes ago, Sally said:

The stranger is the one who doesn't have much.  

@asexualienAs Sally already mentioned. 

asexualien
34 minutes ago, KVA1983 said:

@asexualienAs Sally already mentioned. 

Nevermind