Counting money after its out of ATM

Counting money after its out of ATM  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you count the money after it is out of ATM to ensure you got the correct amount?

• Yes
    • No

Soul Searcher

I am normally a very tech savvy person and easily put my trust in machines and technology, but I always count money once its out of the ATM to verify the amount. I have never been duped nor was ever given more, but every single time I visit the ATM, I do this.

This habit was built in me by my father and sister who are not that techno-friendly.

• Like 1

I haven't got money out of an ATM in at least 15 years. But when I did, yeah, I counted it.

• Like 3

No. Generally, when I use an ATM, it would be for a low amount so no need to count.

• Like 1
Soul Searcher
7 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

I haven't got money out of an ATM in at least 15 years. But when I did, yeah, I counted it.

Well it is becoming the same for me as well. I am so used to credit cards and online methods of payment that I rarely visit the ATM. The last time I did was in September 2023 and before that it was in October 2022- both the times when I was travelling and knew online payment would be difficult. 

Apart from that, I don't remember when was the last time.

• Like 2

I'd be scared to linger at an atm counting money or to do anything with money on a public street, as I'd be worried muggers reactions would be "hey look at all this money this person took out"

• Like 1
awadama

I hardly ever use ATMs, but yeah 

It makes me feel like Scrooge McDuck

• Like 3
silent__

I don't think I've ever gotten money out of an ATM...

• Like 1
Philip027

My mom always seemed to, and I would too.

Machines aren't infallible.  I imagine nearly everyone that regularly uses snack/soda machines has at least one story of it not dispensing the product they paid for, for instance.

• Like 3
ElloryJaye

I usually quickly count the number of bills rather than the money per se, since I'm almost always getting the same amount in the same denomination.  The occasional ATM that stocks $50 bills has been known to disrupt this routine, but I haven't run into one in a while.

• Like 2
Squirrel Combat

Count de money as soon as it spits out, in front of people? And that's how I got robbed, the end.

I don't withdraw cash these days; only deposit.

• Like 1
DemonicEnby

Usually not when it is a single bill, but if it doesn't I quickly look it over. 

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

I rarely use ATMs (they're being taken down in my country), but when I do, I subconsciously count it. I don't even notice the counting itself, but I notice when something's not right.

• Like 1
RoseGoesToYale

If it's more than one bill, yes, because machines can malfunction.

• Like 2

It's just habit... idek what the purpose is, but I do count the money after I get it out. xD

• Like 1
Anomaly Q3Xr

I rarely use one, as I haven't used cash much in around 10 years. But I always like to have some emergency cash for places that don't take card/phone payments, or if either is not working.

I also have an issue where 85% of ATM's are not giving me any cash, which has been happening for the last 2 years, which makes me a little uneasy with using them (as card payments and online transactions never have issues).

Although I like counting things anyway, so I count whenever I get money from an ATM.

• Like 2

I do.

There was one time it gave me more money than I asked for, because it was malfunctioning, so I took the excess inside the bank and gave it to a cashier there. I would also say something if I was ever shorted, but I don't think I ever was.

• Like 2
Soul Searcher
16 minutes ago, daveb said:

I do.

There was one time it gave me more money than I asked for, because it was malfunctioning, so I took the excess inside the bank and gave it to a cashier there. I would also say something if I was ever shorted, but I don't think I ever was.

This reminds me of a news story that I read a few years back that a bank staff of a particular bank mistakenly put the wrong currency note in the ATM, because he was new- double the denomination that he should have.

Then, somebody took money out, got double the amount and the news spread like wildfire. Everybody was trying to get extra money out of it. 

The people emptied the ATM in half a day. But since the bank keeps records of who takes how much money along with the CCTV footage, the bank managed to recover all the money back. With the people facing legal fines for the stunt.

• Like 1
Lord Jade Cross
33 minutes ago, Soul Searcher said:

This reminds me of a news story that I read a few years back that a bank staff of a particular bank mistakenly put the wrong currency note in the ATM, because he was new- double the denomination that he should have.

Then, somebody took money out, got double the amount and the news spread like wildfire. Everybody was trying to get extra money out of it. 

The people emptied the ATM in half a day. But since the bank keeps records of who takes how much money along with the CCTV footage, the bank managed to recover all the money back. With the people facing legal fines for the stunt.

These types of news annoy me because if the bank makes a mistake and jeapordizes your money, its all "were investigating" at best and "theres nothing that can be done" at worst, and/or outright dismissive attitudes. But as soon as their pockets take a hit, its CIA level investigation

DemonicEnby

I think with Euros it is rather easy to quickly check, the different bills have different colours after all. 

• Like 1
bare_trees

I always count, just in case.

I wish I never needed to go to one, but still need cash for some things.

• Like 1
Piotrek

I do... although the sum I typically request is round and the ATMs in my country usually only spit out banknotes of two or three values so there isn't much need for laborious counting.  

Old Maid Librarian

When I get cash from the teller inside the bank I count it too. I rarely use cash so I just keep enough for  very small convenience store purchases (not worth them paying the credit card fee) or for a taxi.  (I also count change in stores where it is more common for the clerks to make mistakes.)

• Like 1
Blueberry Pie

Yes, I do. Even though I know I don’t really need to. Not really sure what I would do if it wasn’t correct.